Author Topic: ~95L Board Weights/densities  (Read 3406 times)

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
~95L Board Weights/densities
« on: August 26, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
Yeah board weight is kind of a dumb concept for the most part. But, I was curious, and I did the research, so I thought I might as well share. I would point out a few things the first is that density is really the only way to compare board weights. The second that weight is one of the least important qualities in a board... so why do I care about weight? I just handle my equipment too much so I try to cut down on all the little things that make it more awkward out of the water.

Brand                        length   vol   weight (kg)   density (kg/l)
f one rocket                   5'5"   85   5.4                   0.06353
north seek                           5'5"   97   6.4                   0.06598
fanatic skywing                   5'4"   95   6.9                   0.07263
ak phazer                           5'8"   90   5.65                   0.06278
starboard wingboard          5'8"   88   7.9                   0.08977
blueplaner carver            5'2"   94   7.5                   0.07979
blueplanet wing master   5'3"   105   8.4                   0.08000
cabrina macro                   5'4"   98   7.3                   0.07449

AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ~95L Board Weights/densities
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
I would disagree about board weight not being important. I think it's one of the most noticable characteristics in a board. But yes, when talking about weight it should be related to the volume or size of the board. A light board will glide and ride much better than a heavier board and lift earlier than a heavier board of the same size. As we all know it's a balance between weight and durability. I have 4 wingboards with another on the way. My latest will certainly be the lightest.

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »
A light board will glide and ride much better than a heavier board and lift earlier than a heavier board of the same size.

Ultimately I agree with you. I like lighter boards too (just got the Phazer), but I think weight is such a small part of what drives your experience on the water.

In the water the fluid mechanics/architecture would probably be the most important feature as they are all the boaty things. Weight would impact displacement and thereby tweek the mechanics ever so slightly as the surface area in contact with the water increases. It would influence the amount of lift required by the foil to stay clear of the water (though here again I'm pretty sure architecture and fluid mechanics at the larger drivers for release from the water). But for all of these things you need to look at your weight as a package, for me as a 90kg rider I have difficulty believing that adding 1kg to my gear package is going to be a big deal. Yes it takes that much more energy but it's 100kg vs 101 kg that much more energy seems largely trumped by all the fluid mechanics in question.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
A light board will glide and ride much better than a heavier board and lift earlier than a heavier board of the same size.

Ultimately I agree with you. I like lighter boards too (just got the Phazer), but I think weight is such a small part of what drives your experience on the water.

In the water the fluid mechanics/architecture would probably be the most important feature as they are all the boaty things. Weight would impact displacement and thereby tweek the mechanics ever so slightly as the surface area in contact with the water increases. It would influence the amount of lift required by the foil to stay clear of the water (though here again I'm pretty sure architecture and fluid mechanics at the larger drivers for release from the water). But for all of these things you need to look at your weight as a package, for me as a 90kg rider I have difficulty believing that adding 1kg to my gear package is going to be a big deal. Yes it takes that much more energy but it's 100kg vs 101 kg that much more energy seems largely trumped by all the fluid mechanics in question.

Mmmm
Adding 1kg of body weight is not the same as adding 1kg of board weight.

Adding body weight will make it harder to get up un foil,and stall speed will be higher.It will also let you go faster on the same foil.You just increased wing loading on the foil.
But board will "feel" the same.

Adding 1kg of board weight has the same effect on wing loading...but will affect the board inertia very noticeably.If the increased mass is far from the balance point of the foil it might turn a sweet board into a total pig.

Shorter&Lighter=Less inertia ,board will respond to rider inputs in a quick and direct way without lag/overshoot.(Most of this effect is felt in the pitch axis).

Sinkers are a PITA ,but they ride so sweet once up because they have tiny inertia..

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »
The inertia is exactly it. If you surf a heavy foil SUP (or wing a heavy board) they are way less controllable and can feel really bad. Once you ride a small board (OMG a prone foil board feels amazing) you get why weight matters up top.

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »

Mmmm
Adding 1kg of body weight is not the same as adding 1kg of board weight.

Adding body weight will make it harder to get up un foil,and stall speed will be higher.It will also let you go faster on the same foil.You just increased wing loading on the foil.
But board will "feel" the same.

Adding 1kg of board weight has the same effect on wing loading...but will affect the board inertia very noticeably. If the increased mass is far from the balance point of the foil it might turn a sweet board into a total pig.

Shorter&Lighter=Less inertia ,board will respond to rider inputs in a quick and direct way without lag/overshoot.(Most of this effect is felt in the pitch axis).

Sinkers are a PITA ,but they ride so sweet once up because they have tiny inertia..

I agree. I took out my discussion on inertia because I thought no one wanted to hear it. But again, in discussing inertia weight is too crude a metric. If an extra 2 kg was centered above your mast it would have less effect than a 1/2 kilo closer to the outer edge. I'm not saying weight doesn't matter, I just think that in of itself it's not a primary driver of performance. Also I'm glad that people found my board carrying research so interesting.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »
Weight distribution is key of course. But for the same size, I’ll say a heavier board will feel worse underfoot when put 2 feet in the air even if that extra weight is right under foot. (This only happens in the back foot by the way.) Other than the box,  most boards are similar density throughout the rest.  So the nose, rails, and front foot area will be the same density unless something weird was done in the build.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 01:33:48 PM »
Swing weight and overall weight are certainly noticeable to me.

One question I ask is why do same volume boards have different weights?   Inserts and such add weight.  Crucial for me is durability, a super light board that dings easily becomes a tank real quick.  I prefer an extra pound of durability to say 5 pounds of water logged weight/repairs.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

crSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »
You may add the Gong Lethal 5'1" 95l 5.5kg, density 0.05789

But be careful with the catalog weights, they all say it is accurate, but none of them you can trust...
This week I'm receiving my Lethal 4'10" 80l 5.1kg, density 0.06375 I'll let you know if it sticks to the 5% margin of error they state in the catalog.

I concur, board weight is very important. Foil weight not that much because it is closer to the balance point, except when jumping or carrying the gear...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again