Author Topic: Why I went all in on Simmons/L41  (Read 2603 times)

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why I went all in on Simmons/L41
« on: July 09, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »
Had my ST out in Elsa today. Overhead. I am starting to get it dialed in. I was the only SUP out but being on a SUP is such an advantage in heavy current.

Rather than add another review, I thought I would share why I am all in on Simmons shape boards and why I am glad I did!

My 9’7 Creek (good amount of rocker) for steep waves, my 9’10 Blue Planet Turbo (pin tail) for overhead, my 8’11 Shroom (Simmons) for mush, all three about 160 liters a perfect quiver for my 6’2 245 pound 56-year-old body. I love all three boards. I thought I was done with boards. I guess we never are done with boards.

Overtime and besides its limitations, I just kept wanting to grab my Shroom.   Simply put, it was just more fun. The combination of the stability, the speed, the shortness of the board and the engagement of the stepped rails were tough to overcome for my two other boards. But the Shroom had its share of limitations in steep waves and certainly is not a quiver killer.

I wanted the best of all worlds. After years of being intrigued by the L41 and being concerned I couldn’t demo it I began talking with Kirk in December and we were debating a 9’0 x 32 Popdart and an 8’10 x 32 ST both 160l. I decided to give away a little performance in steeper/hollower waves for stability and went with the ST. Sold the Creek and the Turbo and kept the Shroom. I was all in on the Simmons shape. Kirk was super busy so he told me it would take some time. Both boards sold quick, I was terrified I made a mistake.

I am like Talldude. I love this board. Not better or worse than my other boards but definitely the board for me and how I surf. Here is why I love it.

1.   Stability. Sloppy chop, I will go Shroom but it is stable enough. A tad more stable than my Creek.
2.   It is 8’10. My back foot starts over the front fins. I actually can get back on the stomper. When it gets steep and critical as NJ beach break can, I am in great position. Combine that with the lift of the board and it just works great for me. Surfing off the tail at will has been a difference maker. Oh and it fits in my SUV.
3.   The speed. I get why the speed is not for everyone but I suck at generating speed and I am now making sections I never dreamed of.  Yes, I out run some waves as covered in Lbsup’s post but I am learning how to navigate that.
4.   The stepped rail. Just my opinion but it gives me greater hold on the face and I love that I can put my toes or heel on the step for greater leverage.

So I am locked in to the Simmons shape. The shape just makes sense to me. Rather than choose a board for the conditions. I want to surf it great in everything NJ has to offer. My quiver is now the ST, the Shroom and a 2014 Allwave (which just sits there). My only decision is if I need a little more stability. If I find I need a little more performance I will get The Popdart. I will probably age out of the Bruce Wayne.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why I went all in on Simmons/L41
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
Super stoked for you dude. I surfed Wednesday and Today in head high surf, and I still marvel at how much fun I have on my ST. It's a quiver killer.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 04:58:23 AM »
Great info Jeff, happy for you.  I’ll let you know when I’m in the area.  Take care.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 07:49:02 AM »
Awesome Osprey!

Im on the exact same board (Even the same carbon controller fins) in an 8'0 x 30 x 129L.

While I didnt surf it yesterday in Elsa (I proned) I agree;  the ST works 95% of the time here in NJ from shin high to chest- Most useful board I've ever owned

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 10:00:38 AM »
Super stoked for you dude. I surfed Wednesday and Today in head high surf, and I still marvel at how much fun I have on my ST. It's a quiver killer.

Wonderful description.  Thanks, very much.  If one is 6'2" and 180 lbs with wetsuit, and only sup's a few times a year in slow Pacific waves and side off wind, and if stability is an issue, how big a board can one get that will not be too big?  Currently on a 9' x 30" x 130L, with stable wide nose, heavy board construction, 11 years old.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 11:57:15 AM »
Kirk would be the one to ask for specific dimesions, but my guess is somewhere around 8'4 x 31" 130l ish .... Could go 30" but it sounds like you don't surf a lot and for typically in chop, so 31" or 32" width?
You can email Kirk.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 07:36:10 AM »
Stoked for you, thanks for sharing.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]