Author Topic: Wooo Hoooo, started riding waves this weekend!!!  (Read 2044 times)

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wooo Hoooo, started riding waves this weekend!!!
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »
What a great weekend for SUPing!  This was my first weekend of wave riding, so I had some many moments of both triumph & defeat!!!  I'm still a little wobbly while positioning in the lineup, but once I'm in, I'm in and and able to cruise forever on them.

I rode in Hawaii Kai on Saturday, and Kailua/Lanikai side on Sunday.  Right now I'm on crowd avoidance mode, so I'm zeroing in on peaks where I'm pretty much by myself.  Down the line I'll start showing up at better spots, once I'm fluent enough & confident that I won't be putting anyone in danger.

So far so good!

Blane Chambers

Re: Wooo Hoooo, started riding waves this weekend!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
Right now I'm on crowd avoidance mode, so I'm zeroing in on peaks where I'm pretty much by myself.

You're a awesome person!

Down the line I'll start showing up at better spots, once I'm fluent enough & confident that I won't be putting anyone in danger

Honestly, there is no need to surf a popular break while its crowded EVER.      You'd be surprised how much you can enjoy waves with no one around at B and C grade spots.     We are experts at avoiding people and still getting decent surf.    It takes a little effort and keen tracking of swells, directions, winds etc.      Don't name spots and don't bring people with you that can't keep secrets!  ;)

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I'm ever gonna be riding my SUP at any surf breaks, or if I do, I'll be far away from any surfers in the lineup.  Over the years, I've found a bunch of those B & C grade waves on my Kayak (got an Ocean Kayak - Scrambler XT) and ridden them in isolation.  So far so good on my SUP!  Funny how a kayak (and now a SUP) can make a B & C grade wave feel like an A grade wave on a surfboard!  I would be stoked eventually to get into some spots that have a light SUP-only crowd, as long as it's a friendly crowd & can talk story with the crew, but for now I'm even trying to avoid those as I don't wanna fall while manuvering & put anybody in danger with my board kicking out.

I'm really really looking forward to getting fluent on the SUP and leaving one in Bali for all my future visits.  The surf breaks have gotten soooo ridiculously crowded now, but I'm already envisioning me riding some unridden spots on my SUP.  I know they're out there, I've watched them break, can't wait to make it happen!

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
Cool! I had my first of SUP surfing today as well. I rented a Southpoint 11'6 since my Imagine boards haven't come in yet. It's really fun, and surprisingly difficult at first. But I started to get the hang of it, and caught a bunch of waves. I seriously doubt I will stop prone surfing though... :)

Can't wait to get my Imagine boards... I heard the container has arrived, and they should be at Surfing Sports soon.
Sustainable Surf

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »

just want to re-iterate what Blane said. You'd be surprised how much fun it is ride those breaks compared to be in a crowd.

I can handle my own in a crowded lineup, but I simply don't like it. If I ever go to crowded lineups, I always sit on the shoulder, or pick up stuff on the inside. Only occasionally do I go outside. To me it is less fun to compete for waves, I tend to stop paddling if there is a longboarder going for the same wave. I like the community feel of an uncrowded spot, sharing the stoke with a few that has the same feel...if you go to really popular spots, there is so much more tension, and people seem to enjoy it less.

Anyhow, good on you, I mean the split second when you are standing on the top of the waves looking down, when time is suspended for what seems like an eternity (a fraction of a second), and suddenly everything accelerates is so gratifying. One super good wave, can easily make your day.

Yay. good to hear your stoke. :-)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
+1
 ;D

be Kool... ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs