Author Topic: Torx bolts??? I want to understand, why do you like them?  (Read 535 times)

clay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Torx bolts??? I want to understand, why do you like them?
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:13:58 PM »
Every time I try to tighten a torx bolt I feel annoyed and frustrated, the key doesn't sit well in the head and I either spin the key up and out of the bolt, or worse up and strip the head.  The keys I have used are the ones that came with various foils and after market I bought online.

Am I missing something?  Do I need special keys to sit properly in the head?  Something else?

My wera hex keys sit perfectly in my hex head bolts just fine, and I can tighten the begeezus out of them without stripping the heads nor breaking the threads out of the foil.  And don't get me started on torx availability which is practically nill (I can buy metric hex at every ace hardware store).

Sell me on this idea of Torx, and what parts do I need to have success?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Torx bolts??? I want to understand, why do you like them?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »
You are using a top of the line key for Allen screws and comparing it to something you got for free--what could the problem possibly be?? You can buy Wera keys for Torx. But any torx bit from a quality manufacturer will fit well and not damage the screws. I've set thousands of Torx screws and never had a head round out. I can't say that for any other design.

The big advantage of torx is that with a proper fitting tool you can apply more torque to a cap screw than any other common head design with no damage. Secondary advantages are that they can be engaged blind since the design allows the drive to slip into engagement with only a little rotation.  But if you like Allen screws, then fine, use them. You can get phillips screws even easier but they are actually designed to limit torque by camming the drive out of the head.

It could be worse, you could be a Canadian, telling us that square drive is best even though they can't be fitted blind and only allow a tool to be engaged at four angles.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »
One other note on this. Clay a Torx connection is so good that you can often use a T28 on a T30 screw. Iíve done this. So check that. Thereís almost no play in a correctly sized Torx connection.

In the larger theoretical sense, think about what makes a good connection. Itís surface area and angles for leverage. Increase both, which a Torx connection does, and you get a better connection and leverage.

Check your tool for fit or quality as Pono said. I used a 28 in a 30 recently over here.

clay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:26:27 PM »
I hear ya.

I ordered a set of wera torx keys, I'll report back...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 03:30:12 PM »
One other note on this. Clay a Torx connection is so good that you can often use a T28 on a T30 screw. Iíve done this. So check that. Thereís almost no play in a correctly sized Torx connection.

I make that mistake frequently simply because Torx heads are so forgiving. If I feel any wiggle at all I assume I've got the wrong bit. Kind of a PITA but when I do the same thing with other screws the result is generally nasty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

liv2surf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
I have been using these very successfully on Axis Torx head bolts (with impact driver). They fit snuggly. I have slowed the speed down to prevent galling.

I also bought a stainless steel bit but it rusted (lightly) and decided it was not worth the trouble. I'll just discard these when they show any signs of rust or rounding off.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMO-25pc-2-Inch-Screwdriver-Insert/dp/B07BM39GG6
9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L)
5'4" Slingshot Slingwing v2; 4m Cabrinha Crosswing
Axis 1020; 65cm Project Cedrus carbon mast
6'6" CRUZ 'CIM' Foil SUP (130L)
Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length
Me: 185 lbs, 64 yo Half Moon Bay, CA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal