Author Topic: Super good day  (Read 6049 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Super good day
« on: May 26, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
There's good, and then there's today. Perfect wind--steady 20MPH with a few gusts maybe to 23. Nice rounded swells in mid-river to chase and ride. I started out on a 1020 wing with a 340 tail with my 6M F-one wing.  I loved it, but I was overfoiling fairly often. Lots of lift and not a lot of stabilizer. Admin and Chan quit after about a two-hour session. I wanted to try another wing so I went for the 1010. Holy shit that was great. I was a bit overpowered since the wind came up a few MPH, would have been great on the 5M. But I stayed out for another hour, maybe a bit more. I was pretty toasted when I came in, and I'm exhausted now, but it was so fun. The 1010/340 combo is fast and smooth. It takes a lot of pumping to get up, but once I'm up it doesn't come down. I got two 95% switchfoot jibes--I didn't fall, but the board came down when I didn't switch fast enough. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight unless my shoulders wake me up. It's seven pm and I'm yawning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Super good day
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:30 PM »
That was me yesterday, except for the wing and foil part. We were a my sisters place on the beach. Sunny, waist high, and not to much wind chop (manageable). Only a few people out, tons of waves. I was out for about 4 hours. I could smell the prime rib on the BBQ. Sat there with my wetsuit pealed half down, with Chinese salad, potato salad, prime rib, drank Modelos and watched the sunset. I slept like a baby. You'll be a little sore tomorrow...... unless you go out again:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
Mine was good too.....5 yards of stone dust delivered at 8:00. I was moving gravel and dirt preparing to lay some pavers. I was a bit overpowered with a large shovel so i switched to a smaller spade. No wind in the morning and it was warm so i was sweating my ass off. Felt great when it got a little breezy and cooler in the afternoon.....my shoulders are killing me too ........:)

Glad you had a good one bro. I'm getting on the water tomorrow for some flat water cruising. Oh and the new machine came today, got it set up tonight and ran a test cut....looking good.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:21:54 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:01:21 AM »
That was sweet!  It doesn't get any steadier than that.  72 degrees air.  Ahhh!  That makes the 53 degree water feel awesome.  The ripping current was putting up a super clean small swell. I was doing mini downwinders to the kite launch and coming back up upwind by going downwind a little less :).  I saw one of those jibes, Bill.  It looked great. 

We did Blackened Steelhead sliders on the grill.  I had 4 of those and I don't remember walking to bed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:58:27 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »
I went to bed early to read, I think I managed to turn my kindle on, but I woke up this morning with it under my face.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
Sounds like your timing was better than mine guys, I went out too early and used too much energy trying to make the 3.6 work.  Surprisingly it did, just not confidence inspiring. The last hour or so (3:00-4) was really nice on the 5M though. Sadly I had pumped the 5 first but deflated it ::)

The grass at the event site is open now making for pretty luxurious launching. Looks like the parking might be open now too.
Too bad there'll be no wind for a few days...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:07 AM »
Go big early. That feels like a mixed metaphor, but fat assed guys have been doing that since the early days of windsurfing, and it's what I've always done. You can always rig down if it's too much, but I've always found the likelihood of a rig change is much greater if you go too small than too big--you can live with being a bit overpowered, as I did yesterday and still have a great session--but you generally can't enjoy being underpowered.

That's not as true for skinny folks, I've also noticed that women windsurfers need to be spot on with their gear choices, and generally get very good at choosing what to use. It seems that guys are sloppier because they can get away with more. Nothing scientific there, just anecdotal.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:12:32 AM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »
Too bad there'll be no wind for a few days...

We are going to get Wingable easterlies today and tomorrow.  It is 15-17 at Viento right now.  :)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:40:06 PM »
It was a very good day!  I know that I'm progressing when I start to get techie.  I was on a 4.2 wing with a 400 stabilizer.  Randy was on a 5.0 and a 440.  He was perfect and I had too much.  It was still a great day, but for the first time in this sport, I found myself thinking I should go in and tweak my rig.  That usually means two things, I'm hooked and I'm learning.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
Another magic one today.  Super high quality wind again.  20 to 23 for a while and then 15 to 20 for a long stretch. 

Bill and I stopped by Viento but it had already dropped off too much there.  We flew my new drone and then I headed to Stevenson on a 14 to 17 reading.  iWindsurf is so killer.  By the time I got there it was steady 17.  I rigged 6.0 and my 1020 because of the strong current and lighter wind moving in the same direction.  That worked out really well.

I knew it was going to be an amazing session before I ever hit the water because luck seemed to be on my side.  My evidence:

1. Earlier at Viento I had set my drone to follow me mode and set it to track Bill who then got his evil grin on (his whole countenance changes, its really quite frightening) and scooted off through some very dense woods...and no crash.  So far so good.
2. I remembered to plug the strut on my 6.0 Swing before pumping.  That was the first and will likely be the last time for this.
3. I set my gear down on the beach and carefully attached my wing leash to my fuselage to keep the wing from blowing off.  Sadly, it wasn't the wing leash that I attached but rather the board leash.  So, despite full wind exposure my wing sits perfectly still while I am leisurely getting my suit on and then as I am walking over to it, it wanders gently up the grass to meet me.  Oooh!  This is going to be one hell of a session.  Needless to say, my board stayed right where I had left it because it had been so nicely anchored :)

The Swing 6.0 is such a versatile wing.  I easily could have been on a 5.0 but the 6.0 stays so mellow and solid.  With all that extra power I could point super high and did a few long upwind reaches and made up a lot of ground despite the strong current.  On one super powered reach I was heading straight upriver.  So cool.  My new Sky Wing 5'4 was really perfect in this condition.  I like that thing more every time I use it.  This was my first day trying big wing, small board, big foils and that combo works great.  What a great way to do self powered downwinders.  No shuttle, no hassle. 

I stayed out for an hour and a half.  A kiter launched from the kite launch upwind about half way through and apologized for tainting my solo session.  Hah!  That guy was terrific to watch and had some major skills. 

This was all on a no wind forecast.  Pretty sure most days are wingable here if we watch the sensors.  Tomorrow actually has good easterly wind in the forecast so that looks great as well.

Before and After session photos:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:25:28 PM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:37:35 PM »
We used to have nice picnic tables like that. Trashy people stole them all.

Hey, do we get to see the drone video? What drone?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 06:40:16 PM »
Hmmm, I should have gone. That's what I get for not singing along to the OptimisticForecast.com jingle.

"When you're looking to get out of your house,
And you're just a little tired of your spouse,
Grab your gear, take it all,
and remember to call,
OptimisticForecast dot com."

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

At least we’re getting to see some before/after pictures and wind meter charts ::)

Also anxiously awaiting some GoPro 8 footage Mr D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:41:01 PM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 02:29:02 AM »
We used to have nice picnic tables like that. Trashy people stole them all.

I picked up the new Mavic Air 2.  What an incredible piece of kit.  I had posted about it here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35715.15.html .  This was its first flight over water.  I zipped it out across the Gorge and straight back and then used Bill as a test subject to see how the active track features work.  Once we got those settings right it worked really nicely.  Water below doesn't seem to bug it and it threaded through a very tangled no-path forest with zero assist from me.  I am ready to use it for shooting someone else using the active track feature.  I am not sure about going full autonomous for self shooting leaving the remote on shore.  I will probably get there in a perfect situation.  I would say that Bill could shoot video of me, but he has the attention span of a 5 year old with a short attention span.  He is just as likely to become distracted by the nearby plaque which details Lewis and Clark's canoe portage of the old falls as he is to stay flying the drone.  Chan said above that she is getting techie with her foil gear but mind you that she also came in and said, "my back flipper doesn't feel right".  She does stuff like that to torment me and Bill and more importantly to never be asked to do something like get stuck flying the drone. 

I didn't shoot video of Bill bushwhacking at Viento.  I was really interested in the active track.  Active track uses the camera to follow the subject so if it follows well it can film well.  I filmed my grandson on the land around the house when this showed up and the video quality is really clean.  I am not worried about that part at all.  It is shocking how calmly this drone flies.  I had it out at my house in 30+ winds and extremely gusty.  It did fine.  I had a rebate so $730.00 and then I added the Fly more kit for extra batteries, props, etc.  How incredible is that?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:29:16 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM