Author Topic: One Edge 2.0 vs. JP Allwater GT vs. Starboard Touring vs. Starboard Waterline  (Read 4508 times)

KiTESUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi everybody,

Kiteboarder/Kitesurfer here researching out sup boards for touring around SWFL.  I know there is a wealth of knowledge and experience of both design and trial & error from all of you on here and I could really use the input before purchasing.  This is my first post on here so please excuse any formalities I may have botched (saw something about not posting anything brand related if you're not a vet..?). Anyways here goes...

Very interested in 14' boards but don't know if a 12' would be okay for me?  (One Edge 2.0 vs. JP Allwater GT vs. Starboard Touring vs. Starboard Wateline). I've been to the sites of these boards and read their copy on them.  These brands aren't sold close to me so I haven't tried any and rely on on YOUR opinions here.  BOTE is close by but I have heard the TRAVELER 14' is very fragile so I steered clear. I will be cruising along the beach line island hopping and exploring as well as the inlets and waterways.  (Marco Island, Naples, Estero Island etc. if you're familiar.  Speed and tracking and stability are important but I also want durability and the ability to progress.   

Sorry for the earful guys, Thanks a ton in advance for any input!

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Since you asked this type of question I would recommend you to try and demo as much as you can. Ask forum members that are close to you to demo. Don't rush and buy stuff based on your research. I live in Naples so here is what I think - I definitely prefer 14 if your goal is tracking, speed and stability. Durability wise - I had good luck with starboard, SIC, Infinity, JP. You need to decide if paddling flat water is going to be your only thing or you would like to be able to catch a few waves here and there - it will dictate the design. There are so many options/variables here that it will take a novel to explain all intricacies. I PERSONALLY like/prefer downwind or allwater type boards for almost everything. They paddle nicely on flats and chop and super fun on wind swell that we get on the gulf in the winter. My all time favorite is the classic sic bullet - all around winner in my book. You can pm me if you want to demo my boards, once this craziness is over.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
You mentioned others have commented on durability for Bote and you may want to consider weight as well. The 14" Traveller is listed at 42 pounds, and you can still get a fairly durable board that is much lighter than this.

With the type of paddling you have in mind, you are likely to encounter a variety of paddling conditions, so I like gzasinets recommendation of allwater boards and even a DW board if all out flat water speed is not your goal. A lot of options are out there, and the Evo from One ocean sports could fit the bill as well. Good luck.

KiTESUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
@gzasinets Thanks a ton for the input!  Cool to hear that you live in Naples too.  Craziness indeed, hopefully we can all put it behind us soon and go paddling.  I appreciate the offer to demo some of your boards and will definitely take you up on that in the future.  Cheers man!

@robon  Thanks so much for your advice man!  Great suggestions and Fortunately gzasinets has some very similar gear and is willing to lend a helping hand in demoing.  I will look into the Evo you mentioned and probably lean more towards a good allrounder like you guys versus solely flats and speed.  That Traveller looks great but at 42 lbs is def heavy YIKES!

Thanks again you both!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Hey KiTESUP, first, thanks for SUP related post ; )
My two cents echoes Robon and gzasinets about allwater and downwind boards (and def 14'), except I will advocate for the bow shape...the boof nose... flat enough rocker to not be a hindrance, but enough upward turn at the nose to not pearl or get sidetracked by cross chop or boat wakes. Examples are the Allstars, the SICs (kinda modified from a boof.. Your contemplated Edge 2.0 or the JP Allwater GT are better in this respect than the other, more flatwater shapes. And the weight thing is paramount (to my mind). It's a slow sport to begin with, so as light as possible is good to maximize responsiveness. That's where good construction comes in, to achieve both strength and lightness (and expensiveness!) Consider looking for a used carbon Allstar or SIC n SCC construction. I mention those two because of their construction (based on my experience at least).  It sounds nice down there in FL... warm air cruising...               
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

KiTESUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
My two cents echoes Robon and gzasinets about allwater and downwind boards (and def 14'), except I will advocate for the bow shape...the boof nose... flat enough rocker to not be a hindrance, but enough upward turn at the nose to not pearl or get sidetracked by cross chop or boat wakes. Examples are the Allstars, the SICs (kinda modified from a boof.. Your contemplated Edge 2.0 or the JP Allwater GT are better in this respect than the other, more flatwater shapes. And the weight thing is paramount (to my mind). It's a slow sport to begin with, so as light as possible is good to maximize responsiveness. That's where good construction comes in, to achieve both strength and lightness (and expensiveness!) Consider looking for a used carbon Allstar or SIC n SCC construction. I mention those two because of their construction (based on my experience at least).  It sounds nice down there in FL... warm air cruising...             

Hey I finally figured out how to do the quote copy/paste thing!  Woohooo I'll be Teahupoo Status in no time now!  :D

@Dusk Patrol  Thanks for elaborating on the boot nose.  I didn't even know what that was until you explained it.  Makes sense because I did see that some boards have a turned up nose and some have more of a downturned nose with a sharp edge.  That edge looks sick I just wish I could find one in neon yellow like they show on their site.  Doh!

As far as weight goes, I def. would be afraid to do a carbon board because I wouldn't want to crack it. Maybe it is stronger than I give it credit for.  I have heard good things about the Hybrid construction from ONE SUP being pretty tough even though a little more heavy than the ELITE version.

Thanks again man!

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Hey I finally figured out how to do the quote copy/paste thing!  Woohooo I'll be Teahupoo Status in no time now!  :D

@Dusk Patrol  Thanks for elaborating on the boot nose.  I didn't even know what that was until you explained it.  Makes sense because I did see that some boards have a turned up nose and some have more of a downturned nose with a sharp edge.  That edge looks sick I just wish I could find one in neon yellow like they show on their site.  Doh!

As far as weight goes, I def. would be afraid to do a carbon board because I wouldn't want to crack it. Maybe it is stronger than I give it credit for.  I have heard good things about the Hybrid construction from ONE SUP being pretty tough even though a little more heavy than the ELITE version.

Thanks again man!

Keep in mind with the ONE board like the Edge 2.0 and Evo 2.0 that the only difference between the constructions is weight as durability is the same and they are all crazy strong.

Hybrid is PVC sandwich in glass
Dynamic is full PVC sandwich and half carbon half glass
Elite is full PVC sandwich full carbon.

The green colour we have gone away from as a production colour but can still be custom ordered no worries.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I would definitely take after gzasinets advise since he's a really good paddler, familiar with ALL your conditions and more.

I would also look at cost when considering a first purchase. I wouldn't recommend investing a lot of money since you'll be progressing fast and may develop taste for certain activities (small surfing, downwind comes to mind) and if that's the case you might outgrow this board faster than you think and it's almost a given you'll feel the pain for the price drop you'll take trying resell your used board :(

Since you did mention touring you'd probably want to keep away from race shapes since in many cases they might be too narrow with too much volume which will make them very frustrating for a beginner in cross chop/wind conditions, also those race shape are usually the more expensive and tend to lose a lot more value than the other shapes. IMO boof nose is NOT your friend as a beginner, cool as they look (especially in neon Yellow :) )

With all that in mind, I would take a look at this board: https://jimmylewis.com/shop/rail/

It's a very versatile shape that can handle anything you'll through at it. The other things that goes for it is it's super durable construction. At 28" wide it should be super stable in most conditions and in certain activities you can't really outgrow it. The reason I bring this specific board is because it's on Sale and the value for what you're getting for this board is really up there.
in progress...

KiTESUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
@ Jacko - Ok thank you for clarifying the constructions for me.  Durability for me is important as I am a heavier guy at 6'2 240lbs. and will most likely be taking several spills when trying to learn to surf a 14' board.   8)  Between the evo and the edge, they both seem to be described to function well in what I would be trying to do with them.  The only difference I could see is that the edge might be better for flat and the evo better for waves.  But the videos I saw of people ripping on the Edge in waves was what swayed me to the Edge 2.0.  Looks super fun.  Thank you so much for your input brotha!

@ Burchas - Yes that is great, I was super stoked to see that he lives locally to me!  Small world indeed haha.  Thank you very much for your take on the shapes and smart first purchasing ideas.  I do agree that it would suck to get a board that doesn't work well for me and have to sell it at a big loss, especially if I went the route of a full on racing pedigree board with full carbon etc.  Good point with the nose.  I don't want to be constantly wiping out if there is a slight chop or cross wind.  Thanks for the info. I am going to check out the link you posted too.  I have heard Lewis is a good shaper. 

You guys are awesome, thanks a ton for all the comments and information. 

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
A cool conundrum.  Don't overthink it. lol.  I do similar paddles in the Gulf and around barrier islands and intracoastal.  At your weight a 14 footer would be nice.  Tons of good options.  Nor sure Waterline would be good when the seabreezes and chop comes up.  Touring would be.  Prefer the shorter 12'6 starboard touring.  I have an Infinity Wide Aquatic Tour 14 that is a tried and true shape similar to the Boardworks infinity whiplash years ago.  It is inexpensive and works but needs a better fin.  I have a LA Thresher in the back of the box.  You can used saved money on a top notch fin and paddle.  Remarkably Infinity have free shipping.  Others to consider:  SIC Okeanos and new Infinity E-Ticket 14; Boardworks Great Bear, or Raven if want 12'6; Tahoe Zephyr; Naish Glide; Pau Hana Cadence 14.  So many great choices in the touring category.  Pretty much any wider race board used will likely work. I am just an old kook with tendonitis, so safely disregard my advice if you're a bit more athletic and can handle narrower race shapes or the Surftech Barks like the narrower Expedition touring board or Vapor open water race board which are awesome.  Love the look of that JP Allwater if you can get your hands on one.  Enjoy!
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

KiTESUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
A cool conundrum.  Don't overthink it. lol.  I do similar paddles in the Gulf and around barrier islands and intracoastal.  At your weight a 14 footer would be nice.  Tons of good options.  Nor sure Waterline would be good when the seabreezes and chop comes up.  Touring would be.  Prefer the shorter 12'6 starboard touring.  I have an Infinity Wide Aquatic Tour 14 that is a tried and true shape similar to the Boardworks infinity whiplash years ago.  It is inexpensive and works but needs a better fin.  I have a LA Thresher in the back of the box.  You can used saved money on a top notch fin and paddle.  Remarkably Infinity have free shipping.  Others to consider:  SIC Okeanos and new Infinity E-Ticket 14; Boardworks Great Bear, or Raven if want 12'6; Tahoe Zephyr; Naish Glide; Pau Hana Cadence 14.  So many great choices in the touring category.  Pretty much any wider race board used will likely work. I am just an old kook with tendonitis, so safely disregard my advice if you're a bit more athletic and can handle narrower race shapes or the Surftech Barks like the narrower Expedition touring board or Vapor open water race board which are awesome.  Love the look of that JP Allwater if you can get your hands on one.  Enjoy!

Hey that is awesome info.  Thanks a ton, I have heard about the Okeanos and seen some reviews online.  It looks like a great board and seems to be a sick all rounder especially for touring and beginning to get into racing.  I haven’t heard of the other brands you’d mentioned so that just shows my newbie-ness to the sport. Haha.  Jp does look sweet too.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Has anyone actually paddled the Starboard Waterline yet? I'm curious about its straight-line speed.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM