Author Topic: SUP foil spot in Santa Cruz?  (Read 4086 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SUP foil spot in Santa Cruz?
« on: November 18, 2019, 08:13:39 PM »
Pulled the trigger on an Axis foil SUP.

Any recommendations for beginner spots to learn in the Santa Cruz area?

Would love to meet up also!

Craig
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP foil spot in Santa Cruz?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:28:11 PM »
I implore you - don't try to foil anywhere near anyone else - especially not while you're flailing around learning.  When you turn to take off on the wave, you need to make sure that there is nobody in the 45deg wide "cone" ahead of you for at least 100yards.  Santa Cruz area is super crowded and we [foilers] have to be extra careful to keep the respect of everyone around.   There are no big secrets in Santa Cruz, but my suggestion is to try out an unpopulated stretch of Waddell beach-break on a day that isn't too big.  You can always find a spot to yourself there.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
Congrats on starting your foil journey!

I hear what Jon is saying.  The Santa Cruz "Welcoming" Committee is just waiting for one of us foilers to run somebody over so they can have ammo to declare foiling a public safety issue.

I suggest contacting Olivier at Covewater and getting lessons behind his boat.  On small days at high tide there are plenty of peaks north and south of town with nobody around.   In HMB Mavericks Paddlesports can help you.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
I'm going to take a slightly different position and say that the answer to your question is - no!  I love SC and visit there often (my wife works there) but I can't say there are any good spots to learn to foil.  If you already know how to foil, then SC can be pretty fun.  In my opinion the best use of your time would be to get behind a boat and get used to flying.  After that, drive down to San-O and spend the weekend down there learning the basics.  Once you have the basics down and you can fly under control, then check out Manresa on a mellow day with the perfect tide (tricky) or drive up to Davenport on a mellow day with the perfect conditions (super tricky). Most of the spots in town either have too many people or kelp issues.  If you're thinking about Cowells - STOP! Just don't go there until you've got 6-12 months of flying time logged.  Its the best spot in SC and we don't want to lose it.  So yeah, SC is very tricky to say the least.  My buddy from Fresno would rather drive 6 hours to San O than 2.5 hours to Santa Cruz,  because the foiling is so much better down south. 

If I were you I would ignore my advise, because when I get excited about something I just have to try it - now.  But I'll bet you lunch that after a few attempts in SC, my advice will start to make more sense. 

Good Luck.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
Thanks for the info!

fYI, I have been kite Foiling for quite a while and been SUP surfing for many years as well as kite surfing and windsurfing the coast for 30+ years. I also bought a wing and plan to practice in the bay until I get competent.

I am well aware of the kook factor and have watched tons of videos. Hence the reason why I ask for beginner advice.

For sure will check out north and south of town, san o, San Diego, Bolinas and HMB,  hope to see you around!
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
it's a bit of a drive but Dillon should be on your radar.  I look for 9 to 12 total swell,  west and northwest.  Ideally with not much tide change, since the tomales bay makes lots of current.

Usually that will equal some soft 3 to 5 foot soft outside breaks with little worry about hitting bottom. 

You'll get long rides, have plenty of room and probably another foiler or two will be there.  As a bonus the large shark population means you'll always be welcome.  Every additional surfer lowers my personal chances of being eaten.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »
I'm going to take a slightly different position and say that the answer to your question is - no! 
If you're thinking about Cowells - STOP!

Totally agree with everything you've said.  There really aren't beginner foiling waves in santa cruz.  There would be, but the kelp and crowds kill it.  It can be quite finicky to pick the day at Manresa and hard to get into the wave at Davenport.   Cowells would be perfect due to the lack of crowds and easy soft wave, but it really is out of bounds while learning.

Off topic a bit, I will say that I've been eyeing the spot directly across from Costanoa (north of ano nuevo).  Seems to break far out, back off, and continue to roll all the way in.    There is another spot even closer to ano nuevo point that looks like an even longer ride, but I've never gotten close enough to see that spot.  Never seen anyone out there except for some kiters when its windy.    Its a bit sharky and out of the way to be called a beginner spot, but I could see it becoming a popular foiling spot.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 06:53:35 PM »
I hope I am not stepping any toes here but south of town on the south side of Moss Landing, there is a lot of room on the right swell and tide (small NW and high tide).

Just go south of the main peaks and you can find miles of uncrowded peaks. If anybody yells at you, just don't tell them that I sent you there.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:55:43 PM by southwesterly »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM