Author Topic: MY BILLION$$ STARBOARD IS A POS  (Read 14920 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
MY BILLION$$ STARBOARD IS A POS
« on: November 17, 2019, 06:48:17 AM »
this is my first board rag--but this pos deserves mention

you may recall i mentioned having dinged the rails of this board when i slipped on the rocks exiting PJ by the main parking lot--i repaired these dings, one of which extended slightly under the pad--this required peeling back the pad a bit to make a good repair--what i found under the pad was shocking--paper thin, super flexxy, totally unfinished (no paint), barely sanded, glass/epoxy--bizarre to me that the standing area under the pad was literally soft compared the the painted surfaces of the boardtop that were not under the pad--wtf--any decent sup shaper knows to reinforce the stand/paddle are at least, if not the whole underpad area-i was shocked and concerned, but made my repair solid and tight

weight gain after repair following a multi-week dryout in heat etc was .4 lbs--acceptable

been surfing board as goto til 10 days ago when i noticed water sponging from under the seam of replaced pad from my repair--sheeeit--i peel back the pad to inspect my repair---found it rock solid tight dry---so i went to peel away from the repair---what i found were many creases" in the shitty paperthin boardtop--when i applied pressure near the creases, it became obvious that they had cracked thru the boardtop--the more i peel in the stand/paddle area the more cracked creases i find--what a complete joke!!!

and the creases are in the underfoot area--nothing to do with the rail ding

they extend to where is stand paddling around positioning, and where my front foot pumps on the wave--on and im 6'2 185lbs, so cant blame MY weight

net, the boardtop, under the billion$$ cool starboard graphic pad, LEAKS LIKE A EFFING SIEVE

and the board has gained another pound of water!!

hopefully i can post a vid a pics which illustrate--but WITH STARBOARD, at least with this POS board--YOU PAY A LOT, AND YOU GET SHIT

i will keep peeling til i see no more cracked creases, and then dry the POS out best i can, put down a couple of layers of glass, reapply and hope--of course the billion$$ starby will end up weighing as much as a craigslist waterlog--

NO MORE STARBOARD FOR THIS FREQUENT, NEVER-BEFORE-PUBLICLY-COMPLAINING-ABOUT-A-BOARD, BUYER OF BOARDS

i couldnt not heads people up re this garbage

surfing? all happy---forced me to bring my creek 8'7" to OB SF last week---wanted the starby as it had been goto, and is a bit floatier for positioning--and i was wary re OB, cuz it can get big mean, and i wanted badly to check the OB box--well, it was pretty big, at least, one day, and the creek at 115 liters was fine---goto!

and the effing creek top is appropriately solid, doesnt leak like a sieve, and costs half of what the starby does!! and, repaired, my starby will weigh significantly more that the creek

you dont get what you pay for--wont be paying for a starby again..........

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: MY BILLION$$ STARBOARD IS A POS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 06:52:11 AM »
here is a pic--the video shpows better what i write of--"too bigg"--gotta try to size it down
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 07:04:02 AM »
anyone able to help me shrink down an mov file so i can post here? you can see creases i cut out and one i left alone, which when i put light finger pressure on it, shows to be a crack clean thru the paperthin shittop---what a joke!! on ME!! an expensive joke!!

nuther point: my barra is bare-bones white epoxy, no paint, lightest board ive owned--it has dented slightly in the usual spots, but the thing, despite it's 14 lb weight is ROCK-SOLID WATERTIGHT!!

i had too many boars to no realized this starby is an exceptional POS

and for the record ive not even communicated with starboard--i can imagine some BS routine where they claim the rails dings caused all the sieve-like leaky pressure crack/creases in underfoot areas

taking my creek to LB!!  nuf raggage

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
Ouch. Looks so good too. Just post the video to Vimeo or YouTube and link it.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »
not good and I hope all goes well for you.
I've been there than that and just to add some poorly design too, also their heavy because of the amount of stuffing they put in or their light because they have no reinforcement and they all look good on the outside but inside is the disaster. 

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »
Yikes!  If the construction is obviously not built to Starboard specs, I imagine they would address it?  I never posted it here since I dealt directly with the retailer that I bought it but I had bought at a $3K Naish Javelin a number of years back and when I went to remove the Made in Thailand sticker, my thumbnail went right into foam... the board wasn't glassed on the tail section.  The dealer contact Naish and they had a new board to me within a week.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
How old is that board? Are you the orig owner?
I had my 1st PSH Ripper delam after acoupla years. Right where my front foot went and the delam took on water and migrated into a fairly large round shape after a while. That was one ugly repair. Had to remove like 90% of the padding. !

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 06:27:47 PM »
When you're surfing, you put a lot of pressure right around the handle. The lap onto the handle gets stressed with every drop or punch through the white water. I think this is why so many boards have failure around the handle. That general area takes more beating than any other area. Glasser's need to realize the importance of that specific area and put extra glass there. The other damage that is actually always happening is the board wants to buckle right there at the handle. The bottom is in tension (getting stretched) the top is in compression. Fiberglass has a lot of strength stretching, but not much compressing. Now add your foot pressure and that just promotes buckling even more. So your Piece of Starby has been getting worked for a while. It finally gave and failed. Very light stringerless boards are just begging to buckle. That Starby was on it's way to fail right after it was made. A little better reinforcing in that center area would have prolonged the inevitable. Reinforcing the rails in the middle helps too.
Bottom line..... you over paid.. That hurts. 

On to destruction of the Creek. I think you'll get some more service hours out of the Sunova construction.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 05:05:54 AM »
this should load

https://youtu.be/t0qdlnlWY-E

you can see the crease/wrinkle is cracked through the clearly soft, inadequate top--wherever i peel, i find these wrinkle cracks---pathetic---not clear wtf they were thinking with the underfoot build
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 07:27:30 AM »
that definitely should not happen with one of the most expensive (the most) board on the market.

They need to address it.

I guess I'll stick to sunova!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 07:49:08 AM »
That looks really bad easty!

I would not let it slide. def reach out to SB see what they come up with.
I feel your pain, I hate when shit happens to my go to board :( Please report back if you decide to engage SB.
in progress...

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 08:40:09 AM »
Looks like your Starboard is made out of Cardboard!

What year and model is that? Is it one of the "eco" boards? My old 2013 Starboard Pro carbon is still bulletproof.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 04:05:39 AM »
it's a 2019, bought this year

and it's the top of the line carbon flax blah blah cardboard top starboard pro

total waste of money

the cutout section was a long wrinkle/crack like the one im pushing on in the video--that one's right where my front foot pumps, esp on a soft wave section---cardboard couldnt handle all 185 lbs of me, pumping like a mofo---what a POS

off to surf my creek--nice leftovers

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:08:29 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
Plus one on giving the retailer and Starboard a chance to make you happy.  You may have voided any warranty by doing your own repairs but let them tell you that. Companies spend tons on advertising and PR that can get neutralized by one unhappy guy on a forum.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
As a Starboard Dealer you might wanna take that back to who you bought it from there maybe a warranty issue.
I have always found Starboard/Trident Fair on warranty claims (which I've had very few SUP & WS boards)

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

I dropped serious coin on a carbon starboard years back. Was a big deal for me.  Different problems but problems nonetheless.  eventually trident made it right but that was the end of that brand for me.

Back in the day their pure carbon was one of the easiest mass produced carbon boards to get (albeiet pricy)  Now a days tons of other, and less expensive options.

I bought a locally shaped all carbon board used (Fanning surf designs - hes a zoner) and his construction is superior to Starboard and hes as far from mass production as they come.

My Sunova XXX Tec (sold) and Jimmy Lewis Carbon are  rock solid and ridden 10x as much and as hard as that Starboard was. The Jimmy I'm convinced i could drive my car over.

heck- I had a used Eric Peoples hand shaped epoxy that dealt with more than the Starby.  Frankly whatever they are saving in weight (and they arent spectacularly light) isnt worth the reliability issues.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM