Author Topic: Newby Hello and Question  (Read 2224 times)

emorick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Newby Hello and Question
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
A quick hello from Florida ;D!!
Been reading religiously for a while and figure I would join in the fun.

I do have a question I would like some opinions on:

I bought a board at the end of December and just found that the recessed carry hole on the stringer has separated from the surrounding glass.  This in turn let a TON of water into the board.  Unfortunatley I think its been leaking for my past 3 or so times in the water (board has been getting noticably heavier).  Since the foam traction pad sits flush to the recessed handle it was very tough to see any separation....  Also I don't use the handle all that often to know that it had detached. 

At this time the board is at the shop I purchased it from and they are saying that the manufacturer will not replace the board.  They did say "boy, that thing had a lot of water in it"....

So here's the question, do you think this is a manufacturer's defect?  I haven't abused the board, dropped it or done anything out of the ordinary.  Heck I've only been on it around 7-8 times.... 

I have written (emailed) the manufacturer and am waiting a response as well.  I am hoping that they will stand behind their product as they are a new company and this is the first model with a recessed-carry..................

Any help from you all is greatly appreciated. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Newby Hello and Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
Who is the manufacture?  I am sure the shop you bought it at would do their best to help you out as best they can if it is a warranty.

emorick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
Moto,

Thanks for the response.....

I used to fly for a living myself Lear 35/36.  Now I am just a weekend warrior.

I was a little reluctant to say who the manufacturer is but its a YOLO Original 2009 www.yoloboard.com

The shop has said that Yolo will pay for the repair but not replace the board.  I still think that it is a Warranty Issue and Integrity/Life of the board is compromised... 

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
their initial response doesn't bode well for a new company. it would take some exploratory surgery to prove that the damage was due to faulty manufacturing. no doubt it would take a rash of negative reports before you find any resolution. still  though, that's no way to build a brand.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
Smart thing to do would be to get their hands on the board so they could take a look themselves or at least have very detailed pics taken of the damage. I'm not so sure I would expect anything more than the repair of the board but I think I would have given you a loaner while I looked at it myself. Aren't they a local manufacturer to you? We've seen how quickly bad press can effect a company these days.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

emorick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

The Shop Owner has made loaner boards available for my use so at least I am not landlocked. 

I really hope that the shop took some pics for Yolo so they can see what happened and hopefully be ready if it happens again on another board...

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »
Moto,

Thanks for the response.....

I used to fly for a living myself Lear 35/36.  Now I am just a weekend warrior.

I was a little reluctant to say who the manufacturer is but its a YOLO Original 2009 www.yoloboard.com

The shop has said that Yolo will pay for the repair but not replace the board.  I still think that it is a Warranty Issue and Integrity/Life of the board is compromised... 

Well at least the shop it trying to work with you.  Giving you a board to use while u are waiting is a good thing.  I would also think being in FL would help as well as YOLO is based in Nothern FL?  I hope everything work out in the end.  Company should take care of you for such a new model.

Oh, and yeah, I fly a CE560XLS.  Sitting in chicago now.....going to Naples FL in a couple of hours.  Yeah

moto

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
Very foolish of the company not to jump in and take care of you, AND get the board back to see why it failed. It doesn't bode well for them. If I were in your shoes I'd send them an email and a link to this thread. It may sound arrogant to say this, but Standup zone IS the core influencers of the standup world. Every SUP magazine, blog, forum and e-magazine is represented here at the editor/owner level. A tremendous number of shop owners, SUP heroes, and experts read this thing everyday. And anyone that wants to use the web to understand their purchase options in this sport finds their way here.

I've been in the marketing and advertising world for half my life. If I or a client of mine were being discussed negatively in such an influential venue I'd do whatever is necessary to resolve the issue and make sure everyone understood that the customers are happy. That doesn't mean responding to every criticism, but it does mean taking care of customers appropriately.

It's simply way too expensive not to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

emorick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 11:17:27 AM »
Hi all,

I just got an update from the Owner of the Shop I purchased the board from and he said my email to Yolo must have worked..... Yolo is going to replace the board for me. 

I haven't received an official response from Yolo, but hearing it from the Shop makes me feel better about what has happened. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf