Author Topic: Which paddle?  (Read 6279 times)

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which paddle?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »
Good info.  There's a lot to consider.

What is it that you're trying to address with the new paddle? Since you don't sup that much I can only assume you're not a committed racer,
in which case a flexible paddle might be an advantage as it protects you from injuries and save you the expense, unless of course you're feeling
the need for something new :)

Yep, just a casual paddler.  Another paddle would be nice so I can SUP with my wife (she doesn't go out much tho).  I had a Werner Advantage that I liked a lot more than the Fiji but I accidentally left it at the beach.

I find the flex of the Fiji blade to be really annoying (usually happens mid-stroke, even twice), and it feels odd and inefficient. 

Good questions from Burchas. And what's your physical situation? 22 and invincible? 50 and vincible? If you look at past paddle topic threads I think you'll see a consensus that a smaller blade size (for higher cadence) and a little shaft flexibility are good things. For example I find a blade in the 85 square inch (+ or -) best for the flat water exercise paddling I do a lot of. It allows me to settle into a long session of paddling without getting tired out battling a larger blade. One could go larger on a high aspect (long and skinny) blade like Werner. But probably not on a more tear drop tahitian shape blade. 82" - 85" is a good range, but personal preference... 

The ideal situation would be if you could test an adjustable paddle of the type you're interested in, figure out the length you like, (which is in part dependent on the thickness of your board), and decide what blade size you prefer, then buy a fixed (non-adjustable) carbon paddle in those dimensions. Maybe on the long side, with the handle hot glued to shaft to allow for later shortening if you want.  The Fiji weighs around 28 oz. If you aim for 20 oz or less in your next paddle, you will love the difference.

The Chinook paddles Jim suggest are a nice paddle, under represented in the community in my opinion.  If you don't want to go through all that process, I'm sure a conversation with him would result in a great paddle, nicely priced, arriving at your door. 

Thanks, great info.  I'm 38 but active and relatively strong.  When I paddle, I tend to do strong strokes with a slow cadence instead of weaker strokes with a faster cadence.  I would love to go through that process of pinpointing a paddle for myself, but don't have access to demo a lot.  I could borrow a couple friends adjustables, but they are on the lower end of the spectrum (maybe $100).  I'll reach out to Jim and maybe go with the Chinook
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:57:19 PM by SUPlakes »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
The Chinook would be a good call, IMO, if you want to have a decent paddle at a good price.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 06:58:25 PM »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
Alright, I think I'm going to go with the Chinook Thrust.  My last questions for the gang.

Anyone know how the exit is with the Thrust?

Should I go with the 92 over the 82?  92 is what I'm heavily leaning towards since I typically do short outings.

Also, for length I'm 6' 1/2" and typically use 82" paddles.  I feel something a bit longer would be nice.  Thinking 83" maybe even 84" but that may feel too long.  What do you all like for length on flat water?  I may borrow an adjustable but my friends with them are out of town for a couple so was hoping to not have to wait.

Of course after I upgrade my paddle and hopefully notice a big difference, I'm probably going to want to upgrade my board  ::) :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:06:11 PM by SUPlakes »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
Exit - I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the exit.  It would be very rare for a paddle's exit to be so unusual (e.g. sticky) as to be problematic. In other words, odds are high that it won't be a problem, especally judging by the blade shape.

Blade size - Go with what you're heavily leaning toward and that you are presently comfortable with/prefer. If there was a 85 I'd suggest trying it, but a 92, especially when distributed in the semi-elongated shape that it is, will be fine.   Better than being frustrated with a swizzle stick feeling (light resistance) of a blade smaller than your preference.  You will get a feeling over time whether you want to change the variables.

Length - You'll see sizing advice based on your height, or based on an arm extended upward.  I think Danny Ching described it well in that video that you will feel it in your stroke, which in turn is informed by how vertical your body is among other factors (including the thickness of your board.)  For example, I tend to grind it out, so leaning slightly forward, and am on typically thick boards (7" ish). So assuming those factors stay constant, there is a length of paddle that is correct in the sense that the blade will be submerged to the appropriate depth during the stroke....without, as Danny Ching illustrates, compensating with either shoulder or elbow being positioned out of whack.  That translates for me as the handle reaching my palm with my arm stretched upright.  It's on the long side, but that's what feels natural when I'm paddling. Why don't you start at 84" with the handle hot glued into the shaft, and then shorten it as you may wish.  If you do get a different board, it may well be thicker, and you will need a longer paddle Another reason for 84".               
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:26:46 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 09:47:38 PM »
While you're talking to JimK, ask him what he thinks of the KeNalu Mana. KeNalu has kind of faded from the scene, but not because the paddles aren't important. It's all I use. I've tried literally hundreds of paddles, and it all I use. Konihi and Mana.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 10:47:48 PM »
Alright, I think I'm going to go with the Chinook Thrust.  My last questions for the gang.

Anyone know how the exit is with the Thrust?

Should I go with the 92 over the 82?  92 is what I'm heavily leaning towards since I typically do short outings.

Also, for length I'm 6' 1/2" and typically use 82" paddles.  I feel something a bit longer would be nice.  Thinking 83" maybe even 84" but that may feel too long.  What do you all like for length on flat water?  I may borrow an adjustable but my friends with them are out of town for a couple so was hoping to not have to wait.

Of course after I upgrade my paddle and hopefully notice a big difference, I'm probably going to want to upgrade my board  ::) :D
The better your stroke technique, the smaller the blade you can use. 82 might be a little small for a biggish guy who is starting out. 92 might be a little big. On balance, I agree with Dusk Patrol. But smaller blades are kinder on the body, so it’s your call.

The faster the paddler you are, the shorter you’ll want your paddle to be (up to a point, of course). But going shorter has to come in increments, as your body adapts to it. Start off at the longest length you think you’ll possibly need, and start cutting the paddle down every few weeks by an inch at a time until you reach a length where your back and shoulders feel most comfortable after a long hard paddle. For someone at your stage, this will usually be a little over your height + 10%, if you surf as well as paddle flat water, and also normally paddle quite vigorously. But it could easily be 83” or 84” if you like to protect your back, and just tend to cruise, especially if your board is thick. I am 5ft 9” and I used to use an 83” long paddle! (Now I’m at 76”.) No-one can tell you what length your paddle should be. It’s a very personal thing. I would suggest that you fix the handle using hot glue (and also use plumber’s self-amalgamating tape as well, over the join, with a layer of electrical tape over that if you need to) and NOT epoxy, so you can remove the handle easily and cut the paddle down in increments. The length you want now will almost certainly not be the length you’ll want in a year’s time.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 01:58:31 AM »
While you're talking to JimK, ask him what he thinks of the KeNalu Mana. KeNalu has kind of faded from the scene, but not because the paddles aren't important. It's all I use. I've tried literally hundreds of paddles, and it all I use. Konihi and Mana.

Yes Mana and Konihi.  It’s all I use for surf.  And I’ve got Ruby on them too.  Ruby is my 16 year old daughter.  Paddling fast is more important to catching waves than racing.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 02:01:04 AM by Beasho »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2019, 04:31:36 AM »
If you are going to get the Chinook Thrust you may want to consider few things before deciding on blade size.
Though I have no personal experience with the blade, there are two things that comes to mind:

- Blade seems to be a replica of the Quickblade V-Drive which means monster catch with heavy shoulder load.
- A carbon blade like that would be noticeably stiffer than your fiberglass Fiji.
- It has an Oval carbon shaft according to the specs which most likely means a lot stiffer than your shaft.
- You stated that you have a low cadence power stroke and casual level of training.

I assume you lean towards the 92 square inches because your current blade size is probably around 100
but that's like comparing Apples to Oranges if you consider my points. Yes, you'll be able to handle it
but over time it might cause some issues.

I'm offering you that as I was in a similar situation few years back. I had a similar Werner Fiberglass paddle
and I went "down" to a Quickblade V-Drive 91 all carbon with oval shaft. I was a casual paddler as well back
then. As soon as my technic evolved, that paddle was more than my shoulders can handle.

In comparison, today I'm running 75-83 blade sizes. Usually I'm somewhere in the middle.
Maybe Jim can offer some Insights about the similarities to the V-Drive.
in progress...

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »

I just talked to Jim and decided to go with the Thrust 92 blade at 82" length.  Am looking forward to trying out the new paddle

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
methinks 92 blade is too big for anyone other than stoney (certainly one of the biggest strongest zoners), at this point in paddle evolution---for all i know, even stoney's down in the 80's now

burchas, a race/downwind animal who has probably tried more paddles that anyone, and isnt a stroke hack surfer like me, paddles with blades in the 80's or smaller

id think twice re that blade size

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
Black project   Hydro.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
Too big! And how much over your head is the end of the handle?

A big blade more than a shaka over your head will ruin your shoulders -  sooner or later!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]