Author Topic: Busted Paddle  (Read 4592 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Busted Paddle
« on: January 05, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »
Darn! First paddle break ever for me. Board got away from me and as the wave picked it up the tail kinda bucked and hit the blade. The Riviera camo wasn't my favorite shape for a paddle w/it's round shaft and ferret style handle (prefer the Kialoa Methane for it's elliptical shaft and kinder handle). But it was super cool w/the camo graphics. Guessin' some of you Zoners have repaired a paddle. I'm thinking pvc to fit inside it after removing the broken portion.
At least I surfed for an hr b4 it failed.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:37:48 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Busted Paddle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:30:53 PM »
Yes u can fix that, it won’t flex correctly anymore, but it will work!
YouTube

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Like RB said..fixable, but I'd only keep it as a backup. Unlikely it will feel very good
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »
Not a problem to fix.

No noticeable flex change.  I have fixed 2 of them this way.

Today I would take a 6" piece of the original paddle, cut a slit in it ~ 1/4".  Compress the halves together and use this as an insert to hold the 2 pieces together.

Both of my paddles have lasted for years:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,21970.msg220192.html#msg220192

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
If you don't have a piece of the existing paddle shaft or any other cut off pieces laying around (for Beasho's method), then you can make your own sleeve pretty easy. I've fixed a few oval shafts this way. I take a piece of foam any kind. About 6" long and about 1- 1/2" inches square. Shave it down to a round dowel shape. Take your time and wrap sand paper around it and sand it down so it freely fits inside your shaft. I then cut a small piece of 4 or 6oz glass, enough to wrap it around about twice. Mix up some 20 minute clear epoxy. You can use the stuff you get at the hardware store. Brush it on the foam with a throw away brush. Wrap the piece of glass around it and wet the glass cloth completely with the brush. Wrap a piece of wax paper around it with some overlap and then wrap the wax paper tight with tape so it squeezes the excess out. Let it dry at least 12 hours to get hard. Unwrap it and sand it down to fit. Doesn't have to be perfect, just fit. Trim off  the existing shaft rough edges as needed with a hacksaw. Sand the inside of the existing shaft down about 3 inches. Mix up some 20 minute and brush it on your home made insert/ dowel push it halfway in one piece of the broken shaft and stick a tack into it as a stopper to keep it centered as you slide the other half on and bring the two halves together. MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN THE TO HALVES RIGHT, SO THE HANDLE IS FACING THE RIGHT WAY AND THE TEE HANDLE IS PARALLEL TO THE PADDLE BLADE!  Some people have glued them on backwards, but I would never have done that....... ::)
Remove the tack and clean off any excess epoxy that squeezes out at the joint. Once it sets, you can wrap the shaft with a couple layers of glass cloth maybe 2 inches each side. Just do a repeat of how you wrapped the foam dowel.

You can do it..... Very little material cost, and not much to lose ;D 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
Hey SC, I have a CF paddle shaft cut-off for you. 

For the external part of the repair, I like to use Soller Composites, CF sleeves and shrink tubing (in place of vac bagging).  I also have a good supply of old vhs tapes, the Mylar is perfect for wrapping shaft repairs.  Once cured, the tape comes right off and leaves a nice spiral texture.  The shrink tube is also specifically designed for shaft layup and will zip right off after cure.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:26 AM »
nice new kenalu shafts are appx 100 bux---just sayin'

even tho i respect the value of repair

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »
Surfer Cook

Not a fan of repaired shafts They "WORK" but never perform right again.
As much as I like KENALU they do not offer a oval shaped shaft ...yet. So replacing the shaft with a KeNalu isn't possible

However....
I have foud a great Oval shaft (Not thae Kialoa isn't a great paddle but here in jersey the last color I'd want my paddle to be is camo...If you lost it I don't know how you'd find it But that is another question) Anyway as far as Oval shaft paddles The CHINOOK THRUST work great I've been using one (same one) when I teach for going on 2 yrs and absolutely love it Plus everyone who tried it feels the same...Price wise for a 100% carbon paddle you can't beat the design, performance, and price...Not to mention you can have a ZONER DEAL to further "sweeten the deal"

just some ideas...Keep shredding

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
I'm surprised more of the paddle companies haven't followed suit and gone to component offerings and hot glue.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 01:20:35 PM »
Appreciate all the replies and tips. Luckily I have my Kialoa Methane also so I didn't miss the nice surf we had the next day. Hoping to get the camo repaired still.

https://app.soloshot.com/video/e908535e-1d98-435f-bfa1-a5e5f1ead3b0

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
That editing technology is crazy!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »
That editing technology is crazy!
lol..It really is. I think the algorithms have finally caught onto my style because the first coupla session loads it only had one or two waves in the highlight lane of the editor. I would hafta scrub through all the raw clips and find my waves. When SS finally released the edit s/w the update included a .session file. All you do is double click it and the editor opens/loads all the clips and finds highlights from movements it recognizes.
it's a pretty sterile edit but it's really fast. This hi-res render is about 500mbs out of over 40GB of raw footage and took 50 mins to cook.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
Another "Clean Bean" repair done!
It looks like black electrical tape but it's actually black pigmented fiberglass. The cutoff piece is the same as the piece that is now inside the paddle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
The mylar trick is great. KeNalu shafts are actually made that way, hence the texture on the shafts. I've used VHS tape to make a short canoe paddle shaft, and it went pretty easily except for getting the mandrel out.

I broke my third shaft foiling two days ago. Foil wings apparently like the taste of paddle shafts, and the wing wins every encounter. I've about used up my supply of cut off pieces to repair shafts. Might have to actually buy something someday. Fortunately, the only paddles I use are KeNalu so repair is always easy. Like Bob, I have no idea why other paddle manufacturers haven't switched to hot glue.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:03:32 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 08:36:44 AM »
It looks like Black Project is gluing their paddles PB.  That sure makes it easier to tweak shaft lenghts and make repairs.

The spiral wrap was just in a bad place on this repair.  Surfercook would likely have half his grip on the smooth side an the other half in the rougher repaired area.  So, I sanded it down and applied paint to match his PSH Ripper.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin