Author Topic: C4 9'3" Sub Vector - Review  (Read 33351 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: C4 9'3" Sub Vector - Review
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 03:25:39 AM »
the SV is more stable than the psh WAA?  Wow, that's interesting.  I mean, the psh is longer, wider and thicker -- you'd think it would have the edge.  or are you talking about the ripper and not the AA?

The concave deck is not a gimmick. It makes a difference.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
the SV is more stable than the psh WAA?  Wow, that's interesting.  I mean, the psh is longer, wider and thicker -- you'd think it would have the edge.  or are you talking about the ripper and not the AA?

Longer, wider, thicker does not automatically translate in to more stability.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
I am referring to the 9'6" Wide All Arounder.  My buddy has that board and we've swapped boards in the water to make a direct comparison.

It truly is the design of the SV that makes the difference.  When you see it out of the water the rails, especially in the middle of the board, look MASSIVE.  But they thin out towards the tail to give the board the ability to surf off the tail.  Obviously some compromises had to be made in the board's design, and the tail is still very wide, though it appears though David Parmenter did a good job at trying to make the tail as thin as possible.

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
 DW wrote     The concave deck is not a gimmick. It makes a difference
Amazing how much chop the board can handle and still surf very well, I agree with DW there is something to the concave deck

SD Ryan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 08:30:39 PM »
Just got back from a two week trip into Mexico.  Rode my Sub Vector in everything from 50 second rides at small Scorpion Bay to overhead reeling right pointbreak surf at a spot further south.  I weigh 170ish lbs.  The board works incredibly well for me.  I rode it as a 2+1 for the first few days but switched to a quad when it got bigger and more critical.  I especially appreciated how stable it is for such a short board.  Made a huge difference when surfing so many hours day after day.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 03:43:34 AM »
Just got back from a two week trip into Mexico.  Rode my Sub Vector in everything from 50 second rides at small Scorpion Bay to overhead reeling right pointbreak surf at a spot further south.  I weigh 170ish lbs.  The board works incredibly well for me.  I rode it as a 2+1 for the first few days but switched to a quad when it got bigger and more critical.  I especially appreciated how stable it is for such a short board.  Made a huge difference when surfing so many hours day after day.

Any pictures from Mexico?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
Nice pics, I can feel it! 

I only have been riding it as a quad, I have 3 different set ups, will try out the 2+1 soon and maybe even a thruster.  Great Board

SD Ryan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »

[/quote]

Any pictures from Mexico?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Yeah, I thought I posted them...  Did I screw it up?

WB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 03:27:46 AM »
First off, stoked to SUP.

Secondly, thanks to all who regularly contribute to the StandupZone! I have gained a huge amount of insight from the active contributors to this forum.

In regards to the stability of the SubVector, how does it compare to something like the venerable C4 10-6? 
Currently that is the only board I have access with which to make a comparision of stability.  I am fired up to go shorter, but would like to be able to have some idea of the effort involved..

I am 5'11 and weigh 225lbs.

WB

CT

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 05:39:41 AM »
In regards to the stability of the SubVector, how does it compare to something like the venerable C4 10-6? 

I've never ridden the 10-6, but I can tell you the SV is more stable than my 10-0 C4.

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 06:11:05 AM »
WB,

at your weight, it would sink a little but you should still be able to catch waves on it.  it wont float you as well as the 10-6 but it will feel more nimble and easier to handle.  you style of catching waves will change now that you can sit closer to the break and pivot 180 deg and stroke on the wave instead of paddling from the outside and crusin on the wave longboard style.  I think once you get used to the length difference, you will notice how stable the board is, I really like the concave deck and havent seen or felt it on any other board I have ridden.  For me, it suits my style of how I like to SU surf, I surf mostly reef breaks and rather paddle out to the incoming wave and pivot and stroke to get on the wave then sit outside the break and try to time it to get on the wave.  It would be a good compliment to what you are riding now.  it would be the shortboard of you quiver

Pirate

SD Ryan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:33 AM »
I agree with almost everything SUPirate wrote.  In fact, my personal quiver includes 10'6" and the Sub Vector for exactly the reasons SUPirate mentioned.  I end up riding the Sub Vector 99% of the time simply because I come from more of a shortboard focus so it kinda suits my style better (more off the tail) but they are both incredible boards, hard to say which is 'better' in terms of ride or stability.  They're different.

Tunico Lage

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2009, 06:51:08 AM »
I have both the PSH 9-6 WR and a SubVector and have ridden both for about a month (mostly small mushy waves).
The 9-6 is WAY more surfy, but is a hell to paddle on anything but totally glass conditions (at least for me). The SubVector is sooo stable it opened the door for me to surf in days I would not be able with the 9-6.
I still have my old 11-6 Laird and the SubVector is as stable or more stable that the Laird. If I get to go on a flat water tour in the near future I will be thinking seriously about taking the SV instead of the 11-6!
I still keep the PSH 9-6 but I'm wating for the "perfect" day...since I got the SV conditions have been choppy and windy.

Last week Bob From Brazil rode a few waves on my SV. Very small waves but his "data collecting" on the SV is growing :-)

Bellow is a video of me riding the SV in very small waves but the board still catch waves and has plenty of glide...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:53:36 AM by Tunico Lage »

seasweeper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
I have both the PSH 9-6 WR and a SubVector and have ridden both for about a month (mostly small mushy waves).
The 9-6 is WAY more surfy, but is a hell to paddle on anything but totally glass conditions (at least for me). The SubVector is sooo stable it opened the door for me to surf in days I would not be able with the 9-6.
I still have my old 11-6 Laird and the SubVector is as stable or more stable that the Laird. If I get to go on a flat water tour in the near future I will be thinking seriously about taking the SV instead of the 11-6!
I still keep the PSH 9-6 but I'm wating for the "perfect" day...since I got the SV conditions have been choppy and windy.

Last week Bob From Brazil rode a few waves on my SV. Very small waves but his "data collecting" on the SV is growing :-)

Bellow is a video of me riding the SV in very small waves but the board still catch waves and has plenty of glide...

Muito prazer Tunico,

Is that right you have a 9'6" PSH WIDE Ripper and the sub-vector 9'3" is MORE stable to paddle?

And the PSH is a BETTER board to surf than the sub-vector?

Davey

Tunico Lage

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »
Exactly! Sorry if my english made the message confusing.
I have a "wide" and it's not very stable to paddle if there is any kind of chop. Specially when I'm sideway to the waves. Also, because it has so little volume on the nose and tail the feet position fore/aft is critical. A couple inches off the sweet spot and the nose starts lifting or sinking. And there is the yawl...
All this is worth having if you live for waves and surf every day or every other day. The thin tail really gives a shortboard feel.
But I some times go like two or tree weeks out of the water (like now!) and having a stable paddling board helps me to catch waves and make the most of the days I'm able to go to the beach.
The SV is not a bad surfing board. I have a lot of experimenting to do with fin positioning (Bob has a huge bag full of fins!). Configured for super stable paddling the board is a bit stiff while surfing. I'm sure there must be a fin config that is still a good paddler for my ability level and surfs a little looser.

This is my experience. Others may have different opinions.

Tunico

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]