Author Topic: Sanibel Island Downwinder  (Read 9177 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sanibel Island Downwinder
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
Great vid! I want to try downwinders on my 14, looks like a major workout.
Bark Dominator
Bark Contender
Bark Commander Prone

Pretty sure your Eliminator can do this as well.  Vids give you some idea what deep vee designs can do in the right hands.  I learned to DW on my Dominator.  Everything after that was just easier and easier.  Dom -> Touring -> Bullet -> M14.  Now spend most my time on my AS.  But most fun ever was on my V2 Bullet planing from bump to bump to bump.  Mega fun.  Def give it a try.   ;)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:56:29 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »
@Luc - always summer here  :) We are spoiled here.

@Eagle - Sic Bullet is amazing dw machine. Completely agree that you have to be paying attention to what the nose is doing. I have been doing recent runs on allstar where I can never pearl the nose. Well on this run my sloppines bucked me off the board a few times. Too easy to pearl v2 in steeper bumps.

@dk78 - thank you!

@burchas - hopefully, crossing my fingers and toes  ;D

@stoneaxe - thanks, can’t blame you - warm is nice.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
Well on this run my sloppines bucked me off the board a few times. Too easy to pearl v2 in steeper bumps.
Yep V2 has a pretty low nose rocker.  In steep bumps my choice is the more slower but more stable M14.  Allows me to stay way forward with very low chance of pearling.  But did happen just one single time early on in my progression when I stuffed the nose into the backside of a steep wave ahead planing which almost catapulted me over the handle bars.  No BS -> but near 1/2 the board was submarined.  Haha.  Fun times that was.  After that thought yeah probs a good idea to step back a bit and not ride so aggressive.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 01:17:00 PM »
Well on this run my sloppines bucked me off the board a few times. Too easy to pearl v2 in steeper bumps.
No BS -> but near 1/2 the board was submarined.  Haha.  Fun times that 88was.  After that thought yeah probs a good idea to step back a bit and not ride so aggressive.   ;)
;D I used to bury 2/3 of the board in bigger waves (head high), amazing how I didn’t snap it in half yet. Catapulting was just exhilarating. Now I am smarter so hanging out about a foot or so behind handle  :)

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
In an effort to find a downwind board that would work in lighter winds, I first bought a 2014 Naish Javelin LE, 26" back when that was the board that all the fast racer guys were downwinding on. I never did get comfortable on it, never really enjoyed my time on it, and replaced it a few seasons ago with a V2 Bullet. I have found the Bullet a lot more enjoyable, but truthfully, for real downwind conditions nothing replaces the older style boards, like my F16 or my original 2010 Glide. The nose rocker on those boards just makes more sense in steep wind swell, which is what mainland downwinders are.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
I have found the Bullet a lot more enjoyable, but truthfully, for real downwind conditions nothing replaces the older style boards, like my F16 or my original 2010 Glide. The nose rocker on those boards just makes more sense in steep wind swell, which is what mainland downwinders are.
Yep nothing beats a full-on surf nosed DW board in steep and deep for me.  This pic shows the nose rockers on my AS V2 M14.  You can imagine how differently each responds in big waves.  The M14 underside is shown in the pic below.  Marketing blurb says this about its nose rocker ->

"Jimmy’s open water flagship. A 14′ planing hull for catching swells with ease. Nose rocker to control the bow in the troughs. Hard rails and extra width make the M-14 more stable than the Sabre and very very fast in the ocean. Perfect for downwind runs or just cruising with glide."

http://standuptakapuna.co.nz/product/m14/#lightbox/1/
Fast is FUN!   8)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 07:15:57 AM »
Great vid! I want to try downwinders on my 14, looks like a major workout.
Bark Dominator
Bark Contender
Bark Commander Prone

Pretty sure your Eliminator can do this as well.  Vids give you some idea what deep vee designs can do in the right hands.  I learned to DW on my Dominator.  Everything after that was just easier and easier.  Dom -> Touring -> Bullet -> M14.  Now spend most my time on my AS.  But most fun ever was on my V2 Bullet planing from bump to bump to bump.  Mega fun.  Def give it a try.   ;)

many thx Eagle! Deff going to give a go, vids make it look easy, I'm sure its not!
YouTube

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
It takes a little practice to keep the deep vee from tracking on its own down a wave.  But once you get the hang of the timing to step back just enough -> the board actually pops up and planes super steady on a wave.

From a nose rocker perspective -> can stand at the very back of the V2 on grass to lift the nose as high as possible.  Even then with the V2 tail rocker having full max effect -> still does not rise to the normal height of the M14 nose tip.  That is how much nose rocker the M14 has comparatively.

So for high wind small waves the V2 is the choice for me as that board jumps on plane easy.  Whereas for steep and deep bumps the M14 sits in the troughs so much easier and better.  I used to try to power the M14 up and over but found the board was just too short.  It would stall and hang.  The 17.4 Bullet however spanned the troughs and just crushed any bumps in front.  With a little judicious fore aft trim -> was easy to plant the nose gently on the bump ahead and power over and forward.
Fast is FUN!   8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
I much prefer a full on surf style DW board. I pretty much suck on everything else I've tried so.... ::). Always like the looks of the M14. Nicest in that style I ever rode was the Foote way back in (yikes!) 2008. My Vec is very similar, modeled after it in fact.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 04:56:18 PM »
Gzasinets and Burchas... Man I wish I was down there with you guys! That looked an absolutely awesome fun run! What perfect conditions 8). And you nailed that video too! Had to watch it three times in a row.. I'm hoping that the conditions up on the East coast thaw out enough to get some good runs in up here in April  ;D
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
Gzasinets and Burchas... Man I wish I was down there with you guys! That looked an absolutely awesome fun run! What perfect conditions 8). And you nailed that video too! Had to watch it three times in a row.. I'm hoping that the conditions up on the East coast thaw out enough to get some good runs in up here in April  ;D

Thank you! We had a blast. Today was another great run for us in Biscayne Bay. Hopefully spring will finally come to your place and you will get on the water. Yuval will be on his way in a month. Let's get ready for M2M  8)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »

Having you here would have been a pleasure my friend. Hopefully we'll all get together on Maui 8)
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »

Having you here would have been a pleasure my friend. Hopefully we'll all get together on Maui 8)

Indeed. time to shed the winter pounds / kgs and get back in shape!!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
Great video! I watched it a few times too. I just spent a week on Anna Maria island (Bradenton). Brought my SIC F16 along, hoping for some downwind action here. Only got one run in, that was about 6 miles long. Wind was not more than 15-18mph, but it was still fun. That F16 LOVES to glide. Was hoping for a bit bigger, but I was also alone, so it had to be relatively safe for me to go out and do it alone.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »
Thanks iDownwind! Gulf doesn't require much wind to roughen it up a little. It only gets bigger when winds are around 30kn from NW direction - it can get really naughty. Didn't happen in 2018 yet and I doubt it will since normally happens from Jan - March. I went out today in about 20mph winds and had a super time - it was easy and well lined up. That f16 would have been super happy today :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM