Author Topic: Just ordered a 9'1 Creek.  (Read 9000 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just ordered a 9'1 Creek.
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
I haven't bought myself a board in a year and a half, been jonseing for a Sunova for a long time, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one from JimK.  I'm buying it totally on the info I've gotten here on the Zone, sight unseen.  No opportunity to try a Creek in So Cal that I know of.  I did ride Tom's Sunova Flow once, but that's the only exposure I've had to Sunova, so it's a bit of a gamble.

My biggest concern is about size.  Do I want the 9'1 that should turn better but maybe not catch waves as well as the 9'4?  It's a tough decision to make.  Hope I made the right call.  I'm 195 LBS right now, but should get down to 180 as I lose my winter gut. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:59:04 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Just ordered a 9'1 Creek.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
CONGRAT'S Zoo!!  Very cool!  Can't wait to hear get a review and hopefully some video!!

Do you have an ETA?
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
New board stoke!

In my opinion, at 195 lbs, I think you made the right call with the 9'1 (136 L) over the 9'4 (148 L).  If you get down to 180 lbs, the 9'4 would be a tank (and I'm guessing your aren't worried about winter surf in a 5/4 suit with booties, gloves and a hood!).  Work off that winter gut and you might need to get yourself an 8'10!
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »
As a point of reference. My 9'4 x 31.5 x 4.5 green machine is very similar to the Creek in shape and volume, but mine for sure weighs more. I'm 245#. I would say the 9'1 is plenty.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
I'm sure you will love it and glad you took the step. The board I let you try was the 9'0" Style at 119 lts, not the Flow.  The Style is a nose riding  performance long board which will be quite different from the Creek.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
I'm sure you will love it and glad you took the step. The board I let you try was the 9'0" Style at 119 lts, not the Flow.  The Style is a nose riding  performance long board which will be quite different from the Creek.
Ahh, thanks, Tom.  I get all those Sunova names mixed up. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
Zooport

Great to hear. I to have joined the lineup for a new Creek! Talked to Jim and ordered an 8’7” board at 115 litres. At almost 63 years and 70 kg  I am excited to get this board out in some waves. I think the quiver is complete now although there is room for one more board on my rack after the Creek arrives. Cutting back on work this year and have a goal of getting out surfing or paddling 100 days. I look forward to photos, videos and reports on your new board and I will try to do the same.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »
CONGRAT'S Zoo!!  Very cool!  Can't wait to hear get a review and hopefully some video!!

Do you have an ETA?
Thanks, WhatsSup.  No eta yet, I'm hoping I can get it relatively quickly. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:18 PM »

I think the 9'1" is perfect for your weight Zooport.  I'm eager to get reports of this design from other sup surfers.  I'm 6'4" 215 (always in a 3/2  full wetsuit with booties) 62 years old and own the 9'4' Creek.  The 9'4" is just the right size for me, maybe a touch too big but no complaints.  It's a wonderful board! 

I do use 5" Halo side fins and an approx. 4.5 inch middle fin when the waves are smaller or gutless.  The Creek acts like a "fish type slashy" board with this fin system and I highly recommend them for smaller surf.  The larger side fins (4.75  and smaller middle fin work very well in medium to larger surf.  I think the 4.75 Halo's side fins would work with the 9'1' model.  Maybe a surf shop down there would let you experiment with fins before you purchase?

Types of fins and placements are such a personal preference I hate to make any recommendations.  These SUNOVA boards are strong!  If you looked at any of those KOOK CAM hat videos I posted...?  I'm a rail banger when making quick turns.  I really try to push the boards and can be hard on them.  My Creek still looks great and doesn't have any dings on it after several months of sup surfing.  I don't have any stock in SUNOVA at all.  I have found that Supthecreek and JimK can really be trusted with their recommendations.  I'm stoked for you!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »

I think the 9'1" is perfect for your weight Zooport.  I'm eager to get reports of this design from other sup surfers.  I'm 6'4" 215 (always in a 3/2  full wetsuit with booties) 62 years old and own the 9'4' Creek.  The 9'4" is just the right size for me, maybe a touch too big but no complaints.  It's a wonderful board! 

I do use 5" Halo side fins and an approx. 4.5 inch middle fin when the waves are smaller or gutless.  The Creek acts like a "fish type slashy" board with this fin system and I highly recommend them for smaller surf.  The larger side fins (4.75  and smaller middle fin work very well in medium to larger surf.  I think the 4.75 Halo's side fins would work with the 9'1' model.  Maybe a surf shop down there would let you experiment with fins before you purchase?

Types of fins and placements are such a personal preference I hate to make any recommendations.  These SUNOVA boards are strong!  If you looked at any of those KOOK CAM hat videos I posted...?  I'm a rail banger when making quick turns.  I really try to push the boards and can be hard on them.  My Creek still looks great and doesn't have any dings on it after several months of sup surfing.  I don't have any stock in SUNOVA at all.  I have found that Supthecreek and JimK can really be trusted with their recommendations.  I'm stoked for you!

Thanks, Will.  I appreciate all that info, and I'm with you on fins; I like smaller fins unless the surf is big.  In fact, I often take back fins out and surf my boards as twin fin.   If Pismo wasn't such a long haul from here, I would have hit you up for a test ride. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:11:57 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 09:17:13 AM »
i am 190 and love my 8'10" creek--a hair split vs the 9'1"-- you will catch anything you go for, and feel plenty loose on the wave

you will be very pleased, i am sure

used the thruster from this set at first:

https://www.surffcs.com/shop/sup-surf-fins/gmb-5-tri-quad-set

could barely prevent spin on head high+, so kept the mayhem center fin and reverted to the stock barger fins up front--just right now

btw love the mayhem quadset on my airborn---smaller fin x 4 == fun

serious love traingle with the creek the airborne and me!

trying to figure out how to safely bag both for trip to no peru/ecuador--if one gets left home, she wont be at all happy!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 03:44:42 PM »
i am 190 and love my 8'10" creek--a hair split vs the 9'1"-- you will catch anything you go for, and feel plenty loose on the wave

you will be very pleased, i am sure

used the thruster from this set at first:

https://www.surffcs.com/shop/sup-surf-fins/gmb-5-tri-quad-set

could barely prevent spin on head high+, so kept the mayhem center fin and reverted to the stock barger fins up front--just right now

btw love the mayhem quadset on my airborn---smaller fin x 4 == fun

serious love traingle with the creek the airborne and me!

trying to figure out how to safely bag both for trip to no peru/ecuador--if one gets left home, she wont be at all happy!

I've never taken a board on a trip without getting a major ding from the gorillas that handle the baggage.  I've spent time on various vacations driving around looking for a board repair kit.  I hope you are better at packing the board than I have been.  Especially if you love it.  Maybe I'll buy a seat for my Creek and buckle it in next to me? ;)

Thanks for the thoughts on the fins.  I've got so many boards and fins, I hope something from somewhere in my garage will work as a good fin set on the Creek. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »
Congrats Zoo. Great board. Great guy (Creek) great company, (Sunova) great dealer(Jim k)

They deserve the business they get based on their contribution to our com

Can't wait to sneak a ride on a creek if Supthecreeks road trip stops in NJ. Had a blast last year at the demo and love my 10'6 style.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »
I think the 9'1" will be plenty big. I'm ~210 with poor balance and ride 127 liters pretty easy. I'm considering the 8'10". 136L would be very stable

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »
I think the 9'1" will be plenty big. I'm ~210 with poor balance and ride 127 liters pretty easy. I'm considering the 8'10". 136L would be very stable

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, pguidry.  As you can see from my sig line, I also ride much smaller boards, but for this case, I am looking for the Creek as a wavehog board that still rips a turn, so I want a lot of float.  My Jammer shreds, but I lose out to other SUPers in the lineup because I have to take waves inside with the proners who ride short boards. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf