Author Topic: Repair  (Read 3057 times)

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Repair
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
I'll preface this by saying I have zero experience with repairing boards, but I am somewhat handy as a woodworker.

Is this a "ding" that is just cosmetic, or a "crack" that I need to fill with expoxy and repair? 

If it needs repairs, any tips or recommendations?

- Thanks, Kevin

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
Well... You've done it now! You have yourself a ding through to the foam. First sand the hot coat down about 3/4" around the hole. Brush a little water in the hole just to and drip a little Gorilla Glue in the hole. If there is a little moisture, the glue will expand like foam. Once it dries, sand it down to match flush with the shape of the board. Mask off the board just outside of your sanded circle. Cut little circle pieces of 4oz or 6 oz E-Glass no bigger than your sanded circle. 2 pieces will be enough. Mix a little 2 part epoxy (Resin Research) or equal, and baste the glass to over the patch area. You can use a small brush or your fingers. Wear latex type of gloves when mixing and applying the epoxy. You don't have to, but you can put a little wax paper or vesqueen plastic and tape it down tight to make the corner bend. Let it cure (12 hours at least) then sand it down with some 220. You could find some matching paint and paint over the patch, then spray some clear gloss finish over that. BLEND.... That's it.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31914.0.html

Lots more if you look back through these older threads.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
Is there any way to do a quick temporary repair, just to keep the water out?  Plumbers putty or something like that? 

Don't want to waste any of these last nice summer days!

- Thanks, Kevin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
Aluminum tape. Apply it carefully, burnish it with a piece of rounded plastic until it conforms well to the surface. Add a second layer and it's good until you knock a hole in it. I have boards that have been patched with aluminum tape for years. I do my own permanent repairs, but Aluminum Tape is the best thing I've found other than a few hours of work. Much better than plastic packing tape, infinitely better than Solarez or pukka patches.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
For a half ass job, you can use this epoxy. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/6/epxy_5min/overview/Loctite-Instant-Mix-5-Minute-Epoxy.htm It's sold everywhere.
Feel free to put some Pono's signature aluminum tape over it if you have some laying around, or just use a sticker. I've had a Vans sticker on a damaged paddle blade of mine for a couple of years now. The epoxy will peal off eventually, but it'll keep the water out through summer.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »
Try the tape sometime Talldude, but don't forget to burnish it. I'm sure you have a roll in your garage. Best thing I've found next to doing it right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:45 PM »
Try the tape sometime Talldude, but don't forget to burnish it. I'm sure you have a roll in your garage. Best thing I've found next to doing it right.
I do have a few rolls. Though I don't build much these days, but I've probably been through hundreds of rolls. It tears pretty easy, but does conform to irregular transitions well. Gives your board a little bling for sure:)
It's not overhead to me!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
If you can suck air out or if you put it it the sun to warm up and it bubbles you know you have a hole.

A diy for something like this at mininimum I would sand the paint back a little dig out a few beads of the foam and then use a good quality surfboard epoxy and a few microfibres  to fill ( maksure the air temp is dropping during this or it will bubble back out) sand back when dry and apply a coat of clear resin over the top sand and paint.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:26:50 AM »
And, for anyone new to board repair, make sure you only use epoxy resin on boards made with EPS blanks (most SUPs).  The polyester resin (used in many traditional boards with polyurethane blanks) will react/melt EPS.  Surf shops generally have handy repair kits for both.

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19:35 AM »
"For a half ass job, you can use this epoxy."

Now yer talkin'!  What about this stuff:

Loctite Repair Putty:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/6/epxy_putty_ap/overview/Loctite-Repair-Putty-AllPurpose.htm

Bonds to fiberglass, cures underwater.

Sounds perfect, no?

- Thanks, Kevin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
More trouble than it's worth. Hard patches like a wad of putty or solarez make a sudden change in hardness, temperature response and flex on a delicate surface. The glass on your board is only a few thousandths thick. Even if it's not in a load bearing place the variation in expansion can separate the plug from the surrounding glass. Presto, leak, and it will be well hidden by the goop. Tape, stickie, pukka patch, etc. or do it right.

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
Okay, waterproof tape it is then!

Thanks for the tips, I was able to get out and paddle tonight rather than waiting couple days to get fiberglass and epoxy delivered.

- Thanks, Kevin

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]