Author Topic: How to glass with tint so it's not streaky?  (Read 9943 times)

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to glass with tint so it's not streaky?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »
Biggreen   Well, that looks pretty dang good! Does the board look as good as it does in the picture?

Ahh, so you've heard of my ten foot rule, eh Magenta? I normally don't allow anyone within ten feet of my boards. That way they won't see how mediocre my skills truly are. Damn, someone must have snuck close and let the cat out of the bag. I may have to expand the circle.

Well after my post last night I walked to my shop to verify if what I said was correct. It was not. That lemon yellow is a pigment, not tint. The next two pics are of boards that are lime green tint. And I tinted every batch, even the hotcoat. The first is Innegra, sglass (and the dreaded vector net). The second is all sglass.

Did you bag the integra? Do you remember the weight of the carbon you used on the deck of the green board? And did you bag the carbon? (I'm asking cuz I used 6 oz carbon last time and it sucked up resin like a sponge. And since I didn't bag the carbon it was really thick at the edges which was a total pain in the ass to deal with it because of the height differential between the edge of the carbon and the cloth below. And I couldn't sand the edge because the black carbon powder would stain the cloth below. Aaargh.)

If I was set up with an ideal space for shaping and glassing then there'd be no question that I would build my next board myself again. So I'm psyching myself to build or kinda sub out the cutting, shaping and glassing this time.

I bag everything. And yeah, I learned the hard way on the selvage edge on carbon cloth. Now after I bag a board I'll take a wallpaper seam roller and push that edge down into the foam. Even did a bit of that with the last round of vector net (after my first debacle). If you're not bagging I bet you could use the Jummy Lewis plastic trick and a seam roller.

Now, to the tint thing. Because you started this, Magenta, I thought I'd try something. I had a blank I'd shaped some months back that I screwed up on totally and confused resins. I'll tell the story if anyone asks. But I had a resin soaked blank that I was going to throw away. Then Harvey came along and I had an idea. I took the dirty, sticky blank out of my rafters and set it on my flatbed trailer. That baby soaked up 31" of rain. And lo and behold all that sticky resin got flushed out (I think). I left it in the hot sun for a week and dried it out. But, a 3 day old dog turd looked better than this thing. I took it in, sanded it, spackled it, and painted it with white acrylic paint. Then I put only resin tint on it. This is the deck with only yellow tint over white acrylic paint.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
BigGreen

I would like to know if there's a way to deal with the edge of the carbon cloth without bagging it. So, what is this Jimmy Lewis plastic trick and a seam roller?

Instead of painting the foam white and then glassing with yellow tint, why not just paint the foam yellow and glass with clear?

And when you tinted with yellow - did you use tint when laminating only, or did you add it to the hot coat too?

What's the story about the "confused" resins?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:34:13 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
Here is the sample I did very quickly. The best result I got was a layer of 4oz first to seal the blank and give a smooth surface and then a tinted double 6oz over the top with a tinted hot coat. Even then it's not perfect and it's going to take a lot longer and cost a bit more but I think to get something at least even close to a poly tint it'may be the only way.

Thanks for posting the results.  :)

Is the issue with tinting an eps board due to the imperfections and porosity of eps foam (verses polyurethane foam which is tighter and thus smoother)?

Biggreens white paint on the foam and then yellow tint looked good. DW hasn't chimed in yet but I think he uses tints.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 11:58:24 PM »
yes its that fact that even when you have spackled it you still have a unevenness to the surface and the foam absorbs more than the filler. I can see if you put a fairly thick coat of filler on then gave it another fairly thick coat of paint you may be able to get a fairly even surface however I prefer to use as little of those as possible so as to keep a good bond with the epoxy direct into the foam.

I am considering doing this new 10'er with a resin tint however I cant decide if its worth all this effort!   

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
not sure why I didn't look before but there was a good thread over on sways going through all of this, the pre glass technique came up but in general I think the answer was single colour tint are almost imposable to do with epoxy over eps and get a perfect finnish

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/epoxy-tints-can-it-be-done-any-photos

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
I believe it was jrandy that may have posted the links to that Jimmy Lewis video series. The guy is always helpful. And I thought there was some good, helpful stuff in there. They're  posted in the Shape Shack somewhere.  I'd take the pains to look, but I'm pecking this out on my phone.

I think Charlie and Cowboy have the good ideas. I was just mainly curious about your thread and wanted to experiment, and had the perfect avenue to do so.  I prefer tint over pigment, for the most part. And in the case of this board I would never really trust it because of all that it's been through. I'm giving it to the wife of a friend. If it lives, great. If it dies, hey, it was free.

I think Charlie is probably right that it's not worth all that effort for an eps tinted board. And I suspect I don't agonize over the final appearance of my boards as much since I'm not doing this professionally. The comments most often associated with my boards is, "Geez, what happened to that thing?" And that's when they're new!

Oh, and I tinted the fill coat but not the final coat.

Confused resins. Haha! Resin hardener, hardener resin. I think they may have switched bottles on me. Never leave your resin unattended. Sneaky stuff. And I'm certain I'm the only one in history to have ever made a mixing mistake with any sort of resin!

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 04:25:25 AM »
BG-
It was Badger for the win here on the 'Zone for sharing the Jimmy Lewis 'poor man's vacuum' technique
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31004.0.html
I shared it on that other little board building forum.
https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/jimmy-lewis-videos-tips-stringerless-eps-and-epoxy-glassing-general

Say, that yellow board looks nice. Is that fabric or paint adding the color to the rail and other side?
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »
BG-
It was Badger for the win here on the 'Zone for sharing the Jimmy Lewis 'poor man's vacuum' technique
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31004.0.html
I shared it on that other little board building forum.
https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/jimmy-lewis-videos-tips-stringerless-eps-and-epoxy-glassing-general

Say, that yellow board looks nice. Is that fabric or paint adding the color to the rail and other side?

Thanks jrandy. And my apologies and kudos to Badger. Good stuff.

On the board. To me, pigments are the oils and tints are the watercolors. And I've always preferred watercolors. So when Magenta started this I figured I had a good opportunity. So no, it's just all the tints I had thrown into the pot, just because.

And thanks to you and Badger. Through those videos I've stumbled across some techniques that are and have been helpful. Love what you guys put up.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 05:04:35 AM »
BG-
That is so awesome, thanks for the pictures!
-J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
The yellows are the most forgiving and blues are the hardest to get right. The key with EPS is to spackle first and sand to perfection. If you aren't gonna spackle then do an acid splash of some sort
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]