Author Topic: Finally getting to Hood River - Tips?  (Read 3631 times)

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Finally getting to Hood River - Tips?
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »
After missing a chance last summer, I am finally getting to Hood River in July!  I have paddled Lake Michigan for a few years but really want to try downwinding.  I am a bit intimidated by some of the photos of huge swells but I assume those are the extreme days and there are medium days or medium runs for a guy to learn on. Anyway, can't be much more difficult than the huge wakes from 50 and 60 foot boats I deal with every day here. Am also happy to be in the fresh water I am used to.

I will take the Big Winds Downwind class. Any other tips? I assume I won't need a wet suit of any kind in July?  I plan to rent a board...I paddle an inflatable SIC Air Glide 14 Bullet at home. It is ok. I am sure nothing like a real Bullet. I am looking forward to renting a hard board. I am 6'2" 225. Middle age guy.

If the shops there don't have great rental selection, is it common there for guys to rent out their back-up boards? In Wilmington, NC I looked for used boards for sale and asked to rent for a few days and it worked out great.

Just so happens that I am there in the few days running up to the Downwind championships so should be some good extracurricular things going on. I am also hoping to test some great paddles to replace the Ebay special I use.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally getting to Hood River - Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
Big Winds can set you up with everything you need. Probably the best selection of SUP rental stuff on the mainland. You will not need a wetsuit. You should have a great experience, you picked the ideal time and location for downwinding!

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
You will need your own leash and pfd only because you want to be using safety gear that you are confident in using. Big Winds sells it as well. Also try to reserve ahead of time to insure they have the board you want to use. If it's good the rental fleet shrinks pretty fast. Wetsuit may be needed depending on how warm the river is by July. An impact vest with a rash guard is a consideration depending on the water and air temps if a wetsuit is too much. Should be fun, just pray for wind as conditions there can be fickle. (for example this morning is flat and glassy)

Lastly bring some cash for some beer and food after the run. It's located on the dock behind where the rental boards stored.

Also consider sending Temira some money and receive really good forecasts each morning.  temira@thegorgeismygym.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
Fricken' crazy today. If you're here, get something stable. It's going to be a rough one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
What is crazy is rental car prices in Portland. Do I need a car to get around Hood River with a board?

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Not if you paddle it everywhere.  ;)

But seriously, if you plan on renting from Big Winds, no. You pick up the board you reserved at the event site, ride their shuttle to Viento, get blown down the river to the event site then return the board. Then repeat assuming you can get a board and spot on the shuttle.

Pray for wind and have fun.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
What is crazy is rental car prices in Portland. Do I need a car to get around Hood River with a board?

PDX is a really weird car rental experience.  They run out of cars (National at least) more than any other airport location I've ever rented from.  With that said if you are signed up for National's Emerald Club there are some very good corporate codes that bring down costs significantly.  You just choose a car from the Aisle and go to the check out gate.  I rent 30+ times a year from them and never had an issue with any codes.  There is no corporate billing and no extra insurance coverage - they are for employees to use as a personal benefit.  Best one is Honeywell - see below

All-in cost for a one week rental 7/16-23
$531 5007125 Generic Emerald Club contract id
$222 XZ24HC3 Honeywell - Personal use for employees.  My buddy is an employee and I use it all the time. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
A bicycle works just fine for getting around in HR except for the steep hills going up to the heights--so does just walking. It's a small town and it's compact. You can hop a greyhound but to get to HR. A lot of the kids do fine with just their skateboard. If you're doing downwinders with Big Winds they shuttle you right from the rental center, which is right on the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »

Best one is Honeywell.

That was very nice of you digger. Saved some bucks. I appreciate it!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin