Author Topic: Sunova 9'4 "Creek" - A look at the board and some surf action  (Read 18443 times)

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova 9'4 "Creek" - A look at the board and some surf action
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
Amazing looking board Rick!  What's the volume?  Enjoy!
8'6 Infinity Wide Speed
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
Why is there a mast track on this? I assumed a custom would allow you to omit things like this and also change the handle? Not trying to open the LIFTsup can of worms, just curious.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »
That figures. After some long consideration I just pulled the trigger for a custom Acid. This board looks so sweet it would have maybe taken the place of that.
Oh well, good for you though.

Maybe this means I need another board?  But that was going to be the custom 12 Search?

Funny how your 2 recent threads have throw my whole fleet planning into the wind.

And isn't it just wonderful how easy it is to talk to Bert on custom ideas?  Almost as easy as showing up at your local shaper in the old days and hashing it out. And Bert's in Oz!
For those of us with no local sup shapers this is really a deal maker.

Therealjrjr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
Awesome. Hope to see it in person soon.

Sam

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
Why is there a mast track on this? I assumed a custom would allow you to omit things like this and also change the handle? Not trying to open the LIFTsup can of worms, just curious.

Good point, looking at the rocker it would be a crappy WindSup. Well maybe not once you caught a wave but it certainly would never plane under sail.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
Creek's design has really hit a sweet spot for me.  I've been trying to think about what would be a good shortboard shape for me--one to push my limits with performance while maintaining enough fun factor.  I've also been thinking about a board for my buddy who is looking for something to progress on.  In both cases, I was thinking about a nose like my Kronos NB (full, but not too full), a mid-section like my RNB (parallel-ish rails) and a tail of the Speeed (I've tried one and liked it). 

For me, I was thinking 7'6 x 27, 85-90 L. 
For my buddy (close to Creek's size, but not as good of a surfer), 9'0 x 32, 155-160 L.  (He wants a board at 9' for airplane travel)

Here's the mutant image I drew up a couple of months ago.  Not the Creek, but definitely in a similar vein.  I'd love to try Creek's model.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:09:34 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
Nice work on the design Creek and you thoroughly deserve such an amazing board. Is is likely to become a production model? I can see it becoming an instant hit for Sunova!

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanks Creek and Sunova

What a beautiful board and shape.........hopefully the "Creeek" will be issued in a spectrum of sizes. Now to convince my wife that I need another board!

Cheeers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

I've had five surf days on the new Creek board.  2 days of 4 to 6 foot northwest swell (winter time surf) and 3 days of wind blown 3 to 4 foot surf.  I'm 62, 6'4" 215 pounds, wearing a full wet suit with several years of sup surfing and a life long surfer.

First congratulations to Supthecreek for running with this Creek model and making it happen.  Mine doesn't look as good as his but oh well...

There has been some discussion on the domed deck and it's actually a flat deck but fairly narrow not flat out to the rails like some sup's.  This is causing me some frustration as my stance is usually near shoulder width or in narrower surf stance while paddling and standing.  My size 12 feet stand just outside the flat deck-line...so it might as well be a domed deck for me.  Yes I try and put me heels together at midline but still have a hard time being comfortable in chop.  I was afraid this would hurt me knees.  I'm happy to say I have had NO KNEE PAIN with about 10 hours on the board.  I'm hoping I will get used to this and it won't be an issue in the future.  In chop it's stable but still uncomfortable if that makes sense.  I feel every little cross chop that goes under the board.

This is a technical board.  On take offs it likes to go straight down the wave...even into the breaking part and then turn.  On late takeoffs, paddling sideways into breaking waves has not worked for me on this board.  Some boards I can do this on but with the Creek I catch a rail.  You can't be a clod on this board.  It likes to be surfed over the fins with proper foot placement.  The sweet spots are small and its not forgiving like a Naish Mana or my B. Foote 10 footer.  It's super fun to surf, challenging me and is making me a better performance sup surfer.

This board is FAST!  Maybe the fastest board I have ridden.  It turns well and makes ridicules sections.  I love that Speed tail!  It comes with (3) 5" beautiful fiberglass fins.  I did not like the large center fin and changed it out with a smaller 4.5 inch center.  The board "Tracked" too much for me with the larger center fine it came with.  Once I switched to the smaller center fin the boards power was unleashed.  The board rides great with the smaller fin ...for me.  It turns really well rail to rail, comes off the top and does cut backs with no loss of speed or board drama.  If anything I have had to slow it down by lifting the nose slightly something it probably inherited from the Acid model?

I've dropped into some thumpy powerful waves with it that I really thought I would catch a rail or get pitched on and somehow the board just dropped to the bottom and kept going.  I believe this is due to the progressive rocker.  I really like that!  It feels much smaller when surfing on a wave.  It's super nimble and floats off the top and cutbacks like a much shorter board.  It's super light and well made.  Goes over foam really well.  Once I learned to paddle it straight down the wave it handles drops great.  I love the front nose of this board.  I never could get used to the 9'5" Speed nose.  The Creek rides backside just as well as frontside.  I think it will be a great summer and winter time board for me.  I'll still ride my 10 foot B. Foote Triton a lot but this board is really challenging me and rewarding me at the moment.  It's a wonderful design!  I really need to get it in some clean waves with no chop or some larger reef waves and then I'll give it another review. 

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
Love the sunset type finish on it. Great looking board.

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
Amazing looking board Rick!  What's the volume?  Enjoy!

Hi Ken....The volume on the 9'4 is 147.8 liters.
I'll be down your way in July... I am sure I'll see you then!

FRP.... just encourage her to buy something she really wants... everybody is happy!
I am sure that the dimensions of this board will size up or down really well.... so it should always maintain that "fun factor" along with accelerated performance.

supcymru... Sunova has the wonderful ability to produce any board, at any time.... not limited to production runs like many SUP companies.

surfafrica...
I think it had to happen.... the Speeed tail is so solid, it would enhance many shapes.
For your buddies width and volume, Bert will have to make an XL version.
Your size should be great... there's one in production now, that is mid 7' range.
time to do a run East!

Sam... get in touch any time!

The mast track is standard on all boards over a certain size..... they figure "why not?' doesn't hurt anything.
Some mug like me, might be perfectly happy to WindSUP any board we have.

J.... always room for another board!

Baddog:

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
Rick, I've decided to get a Sunova for my next board and have been debating the Acid and Speeed.  Now you come along and make the decision even harder! 

Has Bert and Tino given you a dimensions list for the different sizes of the new board?  I'm looking in the 110-115 L range, with a width of 28.5-29.

I demoed the 8'8" /113 L Acid XL in head high-OH surf and really liked it.  Been thinking 8'7" Acid or 8'5" Speed...I'm guessing with the fuller nose, a Creek with the same volume might be shorter. 

Thanks, Alex

supthecreek

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »
Hi lopez.... so stoked that you got this board off my drawing board and into production!
I have been waiting to hear your thoughts on it!

You are a LOT taller than me, so I imagine it will be tippier for you than me.
I have found, that although it has the tippy feeling of all Sunova's (thin foiled rails)... I recover from lots of wobbles that would take me down on another board.

You are right about the smaller center fin, because mine came with 105's on sides and 102 on center.
Bert must have designed it for a smaller center, and someone just packed the wrong fins with yours.

You have gotten some more powerful waves than me, as mine have been mostly softer.
I am looking forward to a suckier day to give it a real test.

Looking forward to more of your feedback!

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:52 PM »
Rick, I've decided to get a Sunova for my next board and have been debating the Acid and Speeed.  Now you come along and make the decision even harder! 

Has Bert and Tino given you a dimensions list for the different sizes of the new board?  I'm looking in the 110-115 L range, with a width of 28.5-29.

I demoed the 8'8" /113 L Acid XL in head high-OH surf and really liked it.  Been thinking 8'7" Acid or 8'5" Speed...I'm guessing with the fuller nose, a Creek with the same volume might be shorter. 

Thanks, Alex

I have asked for a sizing chart, and I will post here when I get one. I am stoked to see how the sizes line up!

This board is way closer to the Acid than the Speeed because of the rocker and outline curve... which is exactly what I wanted.
My Acid and my Creek are both 9'4... the Creek is 22 liters more and +1/2" more width.
The stability is much better on the Creek, because of the fuller nose and Speeed tail.
I would say that you can ride the Creek 4" to 6" shorter than the Acid. Just a guess... but that is what I was going for.

I haven't done any head to head with the Acid.... but I added the Speeed tail for a reason.
What I have felt so far is the easy carve of the Speeed tail and the snappy turns of the Acid or smaller Flow.

My bottom line so far is the Creek surfs with amazing flow... it carries speed and links turns with a remarkably fluid feel....
It's making me want to push harder.... go for more lips and slash a deeper cutback.

Before anyone goes based on volume alone..... get a length that is easy for you and enjoy the extra volume....
I really believe you can ride this board bigger than you think.... it is that loose and light on the water.... I swear it's on ball bearings :)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
Creek,

You know I like "details". Unless I've missed it somewhere, how much does the 9'4" Sunova Creek physically weigh (in pounds) with deck pad and fins attached?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin