Author Topic: another "which board" question  (Read 5252 times)

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
another "which board" question
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »
I have been looking for a new board to give me something that will be more stable on choppy water. My current board is an  Isle Glider - Flat Water which has an almost boat like nose to it. The boards I have a line on now are both from Vesl and are all around boards. They are identical except one is 10' 6" and one is 11' 0"  - the 11' board is 1" wider (32" and 1/4" thicker. I'm an intermediate paddler and I'm 5' 10" & weigh 200# (which is coming down thanks to paddling).

The purpose of getting a new board is to have a more stable board so I can get out more - including moving from the bay to the ocean beyond the surf line. So the question is, which board would seem to be the better choice - longer & wider or shorter and narrower? I'm leaning towards the longer board thinking the extra width - more stability and the length should/could make it a bit faster though I'm not trying to win any races. Both boards weigh roughly the same thing - within a pound.

What are the learned paddlers opinions on this?

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
Re: another "which board" question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
I have a displacement race board last year and hated going out in any chop conditions and side chop was my nemesis.

This year I purchase a Jimmy Lewis Rail based on a few demo's last year. It is night and day compared to the displacement board.

The low profile nose does not get pushed by the wind and waves and it has great secondary boyancy that help you stay up. The rocker is just right to ride over the smaller waves but the reverse top of the bow wil peirce larger waves and allow you to keep your speed. Downwind is without question it's best asset and it catches just about any bump.

It is not quite as fast as the Sidewinder on flat water but it does quite well it you stand at the very front of the pad. Find a 28 wide board and you willl have a board which allows you to grow and expand your ability and also allow you to go out in just about any conditions.

If you are interested in the Sidewinder we call the 29 inch wide one a couch as it is almost too stable.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
I have been looking for a new board to give me something that will be more stable on choppy water. My current board is an  Isle Glider - Flat Water which has an almost boat like nose to it. The boards I have a line on now are both from Vesl and are all around boards. They are identical except one is 10' 6" and one is 11' 0"  - the 11' board is 1" wider (32" and 1/4" thicker. I'm an intermediate paddler and I'm 5' 10" & weigh 200# (which is coming down thanks to paddling).

The purpose of getting a new board is to have a more stable board so I can get out more - including moving from the bay to the ocean beyond the surf line. So the question is, which board would seem to be the better choice - longer & wider or shorter and narrower? I'm leaning towards the longer board thinking the extra width - more stability and the length should/could make it a bit faster though I'm not trying to win any races. Both boards weigh roughly the same thing - within a pound.

What are the learned paddlers opinions on this?

Larry-

I had the glider and am your same weight.  I would really try to practice some more on less choppy water.  That board is really stable,...and a great board for the price.  I think you will buy one of the wider Vesl boards and be dissapointed in how much less stability it offers and how much slower they are when your skills improve even the slightest bit.  They really arent any major technological or shape difference from the glider minus a few extra liters (and weight)

I've been supping for 6 years and started with a glider and one for my wife and kept them in our arsenal for years and years because they were so versatile....great in flat water and a super fun small wave machine.... just selling the last one i had last week.

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
So North Jerz - was your Glider an All Water or a Flat Water? I do like my board (Flat Water) and I go out on it frequently but once the water gets choppy, it's a struggle for me. Maybe it's just me but it seems like with the displacement hull & no rocker, the chop and boat wakes kick my butt
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:18:44 PM by Larry2c »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
my bad Larry- i didnt know there was a displacement Glider?

this was the board i was speaking of- in the 10'10- all around shape

https://www.islesurfandsup.com/stand-up-paddle-boards/glider-wood/

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
No worries - I didn't know there were two versions of this board when I bought it and I went against my son's recommendation ( a surfer) and got the board thinking it was the one I'd read the reviews on. Later I found the "FW designation on the bottom and did more research. Live & learn... I do like th board and it is great on a smooth day - I just want something I will feel comfortable on out in the ocean (not necessarily surfing but just paddling beyond the surf line).

Here's a shot of my board's nose - not a great angle but you get the idea.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
Larry, you already seem to have some nice, stable platforms. As other people have mentioned, you might need to just work on your skills. Hey, we all get tossed sometimes. No big deal. At least you're not landing on concrete!

Last year I got a used NSP raceboard which I first tried out in choppy, windy water. After falling about twenty times I hated the board and felt like an idiot for buying it. Then I took it out again and fell less, and then again and again. After a while I was falling every three or four excursions. Now I really like this thing, but it took time.

Your current board is probably stable enough. Give yourself time to get beat up. There's no shame in that. It's how you learn.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
"So the question is, which board would seem to be the better choice - longer & wider or shorter and narrower?"

Each person has different goals when paddling.
Many like challenge and speed.... it is all about the work-out.
Others, like me, have no desire to go anywhere fast, they are very happy with extra stability and ease of use. I get enough workout on my surf SUPs, so I like my flat-water sessions relaxing and cruisy.

I personally vote longer and wider.... the more you enjoy your sessions, the more you will paddle and the longer your sessions will be.

Simply pick the one that YOU feel strongest about.... if your goals change as you get more involved in paddling, it is simple enough to up-grade when that time comes.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
"The purpose of getting a new board is to have a more stable board so I can get out more."

If stability is most important for you -> get the 32.  But would suspect the 31 to be a bit easier to paddle straight being a touch narrower.  Would keep your other board tho for when your balance is better.  Nice to have some variety.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback. SUP the creek, you hit it right on the nose - at least for me. I really enjoy paddling for my mental health - I find it very relaxing (unless I'm fighting to stay up!). I also do it for the fitness aspect but that is secondary and I figure if I get a more stable board, I'll go out on days I might have skipped so I'll get more exercise and more mental health to boot.

Regarding keeping my old board, that's the plan for now. If the new board turns out to do everything perfectly, well then I may look to trade the Glider on something else but for now, it's going to stay.

Thanks again

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
Well, last Saturday I pulled the trigger on the Vesl board - and of course it rained and hailed on Sunday. That made yesterday my first outing on the new board and I'm very happy. I bought the Vesl Bamboo 11' 0" board from Affordable SUP's in Dana Point (they treated me well so I thought they deserved a mention).

Yesterday was a bit breezier than normal and on my old board I'd have probably just paddled around to the cays where the pretty people live and taken advantage of the wind break. Instead I took off and headed south - into the wind - and did about a 4 mile paddle. The board seems really stable, the only time I got a little rocked was when I had the wind directly to my port side and I switched the paddle to my left side ( a bit of pucker factor but I figured it out). All things considered, I had a great outing - just under 2 hours and so far I think I got the right board for me. I know they are actually manufactured in Asia but the design is from here and the folks in Newport and Affordable were very helpful with my decision.

Here's a few pics from Saturday - south end of San Diego bay looking east at San Miguel Mt (not far from where I live) and the track from my new on the cheap GPS tracker

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 04:23:46 PM by Larry2c »

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
Guess I could have added a picture of the board as well...

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
Nicely done Larry2C... I think posts like this one help a lot of people who have the same questions.
Thanks for the pics... keep them coming!

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
Congratulations on your new board, and it's successful maiden voyage. i just discovered your thread, and want to congratulate you also on your wisdom (with a little help from supthecreek) in knowing what you wanted in a board, and not being pushed into other peoples goals. Racers need narrow boards so that they can go fast and win races, SUP surfers need short maneuverable boards for performance in the waves, and I think that you recognized your goals in STCs great description of wanting to relax and soak up the peace and beauty of being out on the water with some exercise as a bonus. I think that you will have many enjoyable hours on the good looking new board. When you are ready, I bet that you will have fun catching some little waves on it as well. By the way, don't feel like you need to apologize for owning a board that was built in the far east; many of the expensive big name major brands are built in factories in that part of the world, so you can feel plenty proud of your new board. Just be sure to keep it health by giving it plenty of water time. :)
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
That looks like a pretty all-arounder. I'm a big fan of those kinds of boards. These are jack-of-all-trade rides, and they're great. I'm doing a bunch of articles where I'm spending a year with one, just to really shake one down. I love not having to fuss about what board I take with me.

Congratulations on your maiden voyage. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. My only small suggestion would be, it looks like from the pictures you left the side bite fins in while cruising. You'll get a little extra speed if you take them out. Keep them safe somewhere until you plan on taking that board onto the waves.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]