Author Topic: Inflatable SUP Valve Air Leakage and Repair with Household Silicone Sealant  (Read 19607 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
O rings are funny, they will leak if the are loose but also if they are overtightened or get bound up.  Sometimes a small amount of lubrication will do wonders. 

One more thing, I'm assuming you are doing this at room temp and not out on the tundra somewhere.  But, applying some heat (hair dryer) could also help the valve body mate.

I hope you get it worked out.

elef8eros

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
O rings are funny, they will leak if the are loose but also if they are overtightened or get bound up.  Sometimes a small amount of lubrication will do wonders.

What type of lubrication should I use? Silicone Spray Lubricant it's a good choice?

One more thing, I'm assuming you are doing this at room temp and not out on the tundra somewhere.  But, applying some heat (hair dryer) could also help the valve body mate.

I hope you get it worked out.

Yes, you are assuming right' I'm trying to repair the SUP and I store it at room temperature. Do you mean to heat with a hair dryer the PVC material where the valve seat or the body of the valve itself? I guess you mean the PVC where the valve seats...?

From a fast inspection of the SUP an hour ago, it seems that it has maintained the air and has no air leakage from the valve! Although, as I said before, I will need a slight oversized O-ring because the valve will leak again if will move again or be unscrewed slightly  :-\
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:13:04 PM by elef8eros »

elef8eros

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I want to ask if I put rubber cement like on the video, could this help? If I put rubber cement, will be easy on the future to unscrew again the valve?

Regarding the above questions and video, any ideas?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
What type of lubrication should I use? Silicone Spray Lubricant

Do you mean to heat with a hair dryer the PVC material where the valve seat or the body of the valve itself? I guess you mean the PVC where the valve seats...?

Yes, a small amount of silicone oil, spray or grease to help rejuvenate and glide the old seal in place without distortion.  I would suggest that you take the o ring off to clean it and lubricate it so you get a nice even coat all the way around. 

Yes, heat ”where the valve seats".  It looks like it has deformed over time and you might not be getting the full penetration you need to seat the o ring.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Didn't even bother reading your post; way to much info.

To start with, buy a new valve first.

elef8eros

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
What type of lubrication should I use? Silicone Spray Lubricant

Do you mean to heat with a hair dryer the PVC material where the valve seat or the body of the valve itself? I guess you mean the PVC where the valve seats...?

Yes, a small amount of silicone oil, spray or grease to help rejuvenate and glide the old seal in place without distortion.  I would suggest that you take the o ring off to clean it and lubricate it so you get a nice even coat all the way around. 

Yes, heat ”where the valve seats".  It looks like it has deformed over time and you might not be getting the full penetration you need to seat the o ring.

To keep you updated I finally fixed the SUP. I put out the valve, then I removed the O-Ring, clean very good the O-Ring seat and the O-Ring itself. I put some silicone spray on the O-Ring and then put it back. Before screwing back the valve, I heat the seat on the SUP with a hair dryer and after a while I reseat  the valve and screwed it really tight. I din't try to tighten more the valve after I inflated the SUP because the previous times the air leakage became worse.

The combination of the above did a good job for now and the air leakage stopped.

Thank you all very much for your help!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
That's great!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]