Author Topic: JP Australia Race Allwater?  (Read 4665 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
JP Australia Race Allwater?
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:17 AM »
Anybody tried the 2017 JP Australia Race Allwater?

Looks pretty sharp, and impressively light, even in the non-carbon construction. If anyone has tried one of these, I'd be very interested to hear how it handles relative to other "all-water" type race boards like AllStar, FX Pro, Sidewinder, Falcon, etc. Just looking at the specs, it's the lowest volume (269L @ 24.5") of the bunch at similar widths, but it's also the "thickest" at 8.8". Does that mean it's got a super-boofy nose?

I'd also be interested to know how JP's construction (carbon and biax glass) stacks up against some of these other brands that I hear more about on the Zone.

Thanks!

BS

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: JP Australia Race Allwater?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
I can only comment on the fiberglass construction for a 2015 Sporster flat water model which might have changed. The thing was structurally very strong but with some flex. The paint was prone to marks and chips but not extremely so (i.e. do not expect to keep paint in the corners). The board shape in my books (14x28 - 258L) works extremely well for its intended purpose flat and light chop and was really nice to paddle BUT the thing weighted a ton = 32 pounds which was the only reason we sold it. If I had bought the carbon version to drop the weight in the 28~29 ponds range I believe that we would have keep this board.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:43:57 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
I have a 2017 all water race... 14 x 26.5 in the non carbon build.  Very light for not being a full carbon.  I have a friend that has the same in 24.5 inches wide.  I love the board.  A lot of paddlers in my area have been going to them.  I think part of that is because we've been losing board shops over the past two years and it's very hard to find a shop with race boards, never mind one that will let you actually demo them!  We have a local shop here that carries the brand, along with Imagine and Starboard and they go out of their way to help people make a good decision on what they buy.  Anyway, I also have a Boga Typhoon (carbon 14 x 25.5) that my speed coach tells me that I'm about .5 miles per hour faster on (I'm still working with the JP on getting tuned in to where I need to standing).  However, on the Typhoon I will bonk at about 3 miles bad.  It wears out my legs too much.  For me it's faster in the flats and going against currents, but when I hit slop, boat wakes from the rear quarter or confused slop, I have a real hard time on it.  I rarely fall, but it's just not the right board for my height & weight I think.  The JP on the other hand is a bit slower for me over all (but my friends seem to haul ass on theirs), slower in the flats (for me), but anywhere that the water is sloppy, choppy and even boat wakes from the rear quarter, and it responds for me just the way I need it to.  They've also moved the fin box way forward, but the box is fairly long, so you can put a fin at the very back of the box and keep pretty straight.  However, if you're racing with bouy turns or want a looser feel, you can slide it forward.  I don't have to step back as far to get my foot over the fit to shove it down.  I only have to go back far enough to get my paddle to clear the tail.  And, for the tail being skinny back there, it's really stable for me.  Usually one full stroke going all the way around the tail and then a half stroke and I've pulled a 180 turn.

I rarely race.  At my height and weight, plus the fact that I dont' do any other exercising except paddling, there's no point to spend money chasing after smaller, extremely dedicated and fit paddlers!  But do participate in a weekly fun race that our group does for the workout, I paddle a couple mornings before work, and on the weekends our group will do some 5 to 7 mile runs with various conditions in them.  This is what I do know.. on other boards that I've had, about 3 miles in of paddling hard and dealing with conditions, I had to take a short break.  And even after that, I finished with numb feet and legs and nearly quivering.  On the JP, I don't need to stop and my legs feel great.  I may slow down a bit towards the end, but when it got sloppy and rough, it barely even affected me, and I didn't waste any energy on balancing or dealing with controlling a board in the conditions.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
Hi Weeble,

Can I ask what your height and weight are? I'm not too familiar with that Boga, but it looks like the 26.5" Allwater has about 20% more volume than it. I'm curious how much of the extra stability you're feeling on the Allwater is from that extra volume and width, as opposed to differences in shape and hull design.

Sounds like a nice board in rough water anyway, and not all that much slower in the flats considering its extra width and volume. Thanks for the review!  :)

BS

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
I am just under 6' 2" and currently running about 210 lbs.  I've been on a better diet, so I've been dropping from 220. 

I just did a quick look at my Boga to check the stats on it, and realized that they didn't print them on the board, so I looked it up. 

Boga     14 x 25.5 and 255 L

JP         14 x 26.5 and 290 L

So, between my weight and the liters, the JP works better for me.  My "go to" board that I'll never get rid of is my Bark Laird 14 x 29.6 and 275L.  That is my flatwater/ touring/ cruising board.  No matter what I'm on, I'm not going to be winning or placing in races.  I just want comfort and a nice ride.  I can even take the big Bark out in the slop and it's okay, but in rough slop, the nose will sometimes really spear a wave and I'll take a header.  The Bark is also similar to the JP as that it has most of it's volume in the middle to the front, and a pin tail.  I think that I do better with a board with "more in the front".  The Boga as more of slimmer outline, more of a knife like nose, and even thickness throughout.  And like I said, while I'm a little faster on it, I burn too much energy on so  paddles over 3 or 4 miles for me have me bonking.  On the other two, while I might not be setting any records, I feel great on them and never really wear out, I just get a little slower do to my complete lack of dedication to doing any type of cardio work besides paddling, LOL.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
Today at 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin