Author Topic: Puamana?  (Read 7857 times)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Puamana?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
Didn't mean to scare you Cove!  7 day out predictions are probably almost always wrong, so we got that going for us :)  Looks like good wind the next few days at least.  I'm flying over tomorrow AM.  Haven't logged many miles at all this year so a few runs this week will be nice, but may hurt a bit.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
I have done one stand up downwinder (last week) in the past 2 months. Other than that, I got a miserable sidewind paddle over on the Kihei side a few weeks ago. I have paddled OC1 quite a bit, although for the past week or so, not so much. The wind will do what it will do, but the forecast is looking quite strange for both Friday/Saturday at this point. As you said, longer term forecasts are less than 100% reliable. And, the island's local terrain seems to make for better conditions than are forecast quite often. So, Ima go with that for now and paddle all week if the wind is decent. See you on the water, safe travels!

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
Well back to reality and bummed I am missing Paddle Imua today, but figured I should wrap this thread up with a review of Puamana for anyone looking to stay there in the future.  Had an awesome trip overall and caught some great Maliko conditions Mon-Weds before the wind dropped on Thursday and the weather moved in late Friday.  Olukai weekend was a near complete wash out.  But there were a couple decent south swells hitting throughout the week so I managed to pull 3 days of the "maui biathlon" surfing in the am and downwinding in the pm!

Overall:  Perfect place to stay for catching south swells, biking into Lahaina, and hanging out in a quiet, oceanfront, and fairly secure complex.

Only negatives: 
  • No sand beach - all water entry is across rocks.  This *may* change seasonally, but it doesn't look good.  There are good options a short bike ride away.
  • Bit of a haul to the other side of the island.  Not bad but got a bit tired of driving it every day.  I planned on not making the trip on several days, but didn't consider that after leaving my wife on the West side for a few days that she would be anxious to move around on my off days.   

I would definitely stay here again!  A few observations:
  • Be careful choosing units.  Some are really dated, some don't have AC, and some are very close to the highway and away from the ocean.  Here is a good map of the units http://puamanavacations.com/location-map
  • The "Ocean Access" near the ocean pool is pretty brutal - rocks and urchins.  Have to use the ones to the south of the complex.
  • Rent bikes.  Boss Frogs has nice cruisers for $60/week.  It's a long walk to Lahaina and parking in town sucks
  • Traffic coming from the other side of the island really wasn't that bad.  I managed to travel at the worst times and still only hit small delays.  Wasn't an issue for me.
  • Left my 17' board on the roof of my rental most nights with locking straps and never was worried.  Covered parking for one car and lots of shade in open spots.  Also wasn't a problem putting it in the condo - straight in first floor entry.
  • Lots of rules and signs threatening fines from the HOA.  Mostly regarding bikes, noise, parking, beach access points, 10mph speed limit, and such.  Wasn't an issue but would no doubt be annoying if I lived there.  A few older full-time residents on the board no doubt get bothered by all the rentals.

Surf spots:  Two main spots in front of the complex and then several nearby
  • Pools - right in front of, and very close to, the ocean pool.  Fast rights toward the pool wall and longer fast lefts. Tough water entry but easy paddle up from the beach break.  Really cool setting with waves breaking only 50-100 ft from the pool - just make sure you know how to kick out.
  • Beach Break - not sure if this has a name but it's right in front of the ocean access near building 19.  Very mellow peeling right.  Perfect longboard and beginner wave.
  • Puamana Beach park is just south of the complex.  Gets a bit crowded so didn't make it down there.
  • Shark Pit / Hole in the wall:  just north of Pools - easy paddle on a sup.  Couple good spots here but local knowledge sure is important.  No clue about the real names of these breaks but I believe shark pit is a left and right (more consistent left) on the small boat channel south of Lahaina.  Quick, steep, fun, and f'n shallow if you're not careful!  Don't mess with most of the reef between Puamana and Lahaina if you like your fins.
  • Lahaina Breakwall:  Busy but fun longboard wave.  Sharing is caring here so don't expect too many waves to yourself.

It was cool that my wife could watch me surf and take some iPhone pics/video fairly close up.  Usually when I'm 300 yds offshore it's not much fun to watch and certainly not worth shooting with a phone.  A few shots she took below:

Fun day at Pools - taken from our condo patio

Sunset left at Pools

Fun little peelers at Puamana Beach Break on a small day

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:16 PM »
Hole in the wall is one of my favorite little breaks, but yeah, you have to spend a little time figuring out how to use it--or spend a few fins and some betadine. Not Covesurfers favorite place. He still thinks I'm trying to kill him.

I'm surprised at the rocky entrance. there's usually sand all the way to the edge of the pool. Must have been a rough winter on sand distribution.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
Thanks for the thorough review Digger!

The little rocky right you're riding in the video is a fun wave. I just surfed it a couple weeks ago on a lay down board. If it's a little bigger, it can get a little tricky riding too far to the inside. I was down the coast a ways early that week, but it was coming in chest high on the sets down there also.

Pono knows the reefs like nobody's business up towards Lahaina. It's not for the faint of heart, the soft of skin or the haters of blood and wana spines. I followed him through a channel that was about a foot deep, maybe a foot wide, and surrounded by sharp reef that was under inches of water. It's kind of his most favorite thing - take some unsuspecting fool through the gnarliest reef on the island. It is extremely impressive how skilled he is at navigating through it. I literally got down on my knees going through some of it. If you fell to either side, you would be totally scathed. No more surf for you, said the soup nazi! The only way Pono would have been happier is if I actually had cried like a little girl. I thought about it but didn't want to give him that much satisfaction.

Paddle Imua turned out well, especially after Olukai. That was really a bummer but I think the organizers did all they could to provide a decent race considering the horrible conditions.  Glad you scored some good d/w conditions, that was a lot of fun before the weather turned sour. See you next time I hope! Thanks for the cool vid and pics!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:57:15 PM by covesurfer »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 05:34:21 AM »
And I thought it was just me he tries to kill....1st time SUP on Maui he brought me through that reef.... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
Thanks for a great report! I am going to be at Puamana with my family in a little over a month from now. Stoked! Bummer about the sand but I have been out there before and have already bought surf booties for my kids for the trip, they haven't mastered the technique of falling over a reef yet (they always put their feet down). I plan on sticking my big toe into a couple of vana on my first paddle out of vacation, to remind myself what not to do.

Our condo is up near pools and our friend's condo is down near the park/beach entrance. We are going to be surfing there a lot with the beginners we have (my kids, and my friend's kids).

Funny story about pools, I was showering at Puamana Park one morning after surf and a guy got on the other side of the maypole. I think he was just taking his morning shower. He told me "Stay away from pools if you know what is good for you. That is monkey squadron territory." I was like "huh?" He told me that the monkey squadron regulated Puamana and that it was cool to surf the south right, but pools was off limits. I have SUPd pools a few times and while there was a couple of locals it was mostly pasty greased up tourists like me. The rest of the conversation was nearly as interesting.

Thanks again for fueling my stoke.

Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »
Monkey Squadron?? Wow.

If you want to prep yourself for Vana just get a skinny knitting needle, stick it an inch into your foot, break it off at the skin and leave it there for a week.

Or, make a HUGE effort not to drop a foot to bottom. I look like Shamu trying to wriggle onto my board on the west- and south-side, but I only get a few dozen coral cuts and one or two Vana spines per year. Mostly when I feel embarrassed about looking like I'm trying to mate with my board and let a foot touch the bottom.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
Digger...  good info, so yes, THANKS for the detail... and your time there looks so nice...

PB, I'm curious what is on the other side of this treacherous path through the coral Cove is describing... what is the prize

...and urchin related... I've gotten more than I care, not in my feet, but in my hands, falling flat like I'm supposed to, then getting 'maytag'ed and instinctively extending my arm to fend off hitting the reef...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
Respect!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »
Dusk: What's on the other end of that horrible reef pass is Lahaina town and, hopefully, Pono buying lunch, including some beers, after scaring the crap out of you and risking you possibly bleeding out into the ocean from your reef cuts.  ;D

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
^ That IS a prize  8)

...and what harm could come of a little blood in the water anyway...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:39:37 PM by Dusk Patrol »

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
I asked him to repeat "monkey squadron" 3x just to make sure I heard it right.

I have the falling flat routine down pat, but despite my best efforts always manage to do some spastic maneuver every time I have traveled to the west side. Last time was at L'poko I was on my belly riding back to the channel after a wipe out when my fin hit reef (didn't notice the tide had dropped) and I slid off burying my left hand in a vana patch. Hard to be cool when you roll off a SUP in 8" of water and get stung.
Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
The slot, and the reef around it focuses the wave--so waves that are three feet and mushy everywhere else are six feet and breaking top to bottom at Hole in the Wall. When you see the first wave come up at that spot people have one of two reactions: "Holy smokes that's cool", or "get me the fuck out of here".  Covesurfer whines a lot, but he's a lot more game than he pretends to be. He jumped right in and didn't die or anything.

And yes, when you've had enough waves you ride all the way through, then either go to the bar at Pacific O and soak the tops of one of their upholstered bar seats to leave a little surprise for the tourists while you suck down an awesome mai tai and eat the fish special, or continue on past Lahina to Mala wharf, leave your board on the beach and walk to either Aloha Mixed Plate, Honu or Mala. I always bring my visa in the waterproof bag with my phone. Mala is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. Aloha Mixed plate is a ten if you order the right food. Repeat after me. Local.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin