Author Topic: 2017 Allstar 14 reviews???  (Read 36055 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2017 Allstar 14 reviews???
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
ukgm - sounds like you are a good candidate to add the 4 fin setup on a narrower board like the AS25 for your racing. 

I'm already trying to find one to act as a donor board for the Allison fin system for me to test robustally - purely as a science project. I haven't found one yet :-(

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
"If it's balance, that's a hard thing to crack and even an advise of an experienced rider with deep understanding of the board like eagle is limited"

Yeah balance is a very personal thing and very hard to properly crack.  It can be developed slowly like I have done -> but still is nothing like naturally gifted others I know.  But maybe old age has something to do with that.  Nah bs -> probs just my crap skill is all.  Haha!

The guy on the SIC used the single fin option for that Maliko DW race that ended up more flatwater.  Many other boards from all different brands were clearly displayed at the finish.  Connor used his Sprint and some 2016 AS models were raced.  All go well enough from what I can tell.

Blackfish Eradicator All Star and SIC have all been modified for quads.  So does really just depend on what one wants out of the board - and what they hope to achieve.  If quad setups start winning races then you will see a big push for 2018.  But even for average joes - that might be useful to add some stability for narrower boards.  Adds some options - plus may help with sales.  As noted before I did try the 25 Eradicator custom with just a small ventral and small kicker - and the board tracked really good and was fast and was very stable.  Probs would be good for a distance race.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »
Burchas, That is Very interesting. Looks more like an X Pro than an FX Pro.  Has mounts for a quad set up.  I looked, but did not see anyone running multiple fins in that race.  I wonder when the board will make it to market.  They were very late with the FX.  I would love to be able to test one.  I am heading to Maui in May for 10 days.  Might have to drop by and see the Ding King and see what's up!! 

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
Burchas, That is Very interesting. Looks more like an X Pro than an FX Pro.  Has mounts for a quad set up.  I looked, but did not see anyone running multiple fins in that race.

That's exactly what I thought, but than other angles tell the whole story,
and the bottom is also different from I've seem from SIC to date, although
not showing clearly on this prototype.

It seems Mark blended more X pro DNA to this board in order to achieve speed
and then took it in a different direction to adapt to All-Water. Volume distribution
looks to be much better than the FX.

Using more than one fin on a downwind run doesn't really make sense,
you might think about adding ventral in certain cases but def not twins.

Carolina Cup's Graveyard race is a much more suitable race to use the quads
and I fully intend to do so, though I doubt we'll see top paddlers using it.
Top paddlers has such an amazing balance they can easily get away without
on a 23" board plus the awareness to this among the elite is at it's infancy,
but we might see them do that when they want to get down to 21" board in
open water

I suspect they won't announce the board until the Outdoor Retailer show later
this summer, but I'm sure if you go and visit them you might be able to get
the whole story, especially if you mention you intend to get a custom board.

in progress...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »
"Using more than one fin on a downwind run doesn't really make sense, you might think about adding ventral in certain cases but def not twins."

Yeah this is my take also.  But probs depending on the course and conditions -> can see average joe racer peeps changing configurations to optimize speed for themselves.  Would seem like a big advantage if you could dial this in accurately and to your benefit.

Lotsa side chop -> option A.  More upwind -> option B.  Mostly DW -> option C.  Big mix of everything -> option D.

As well on something like a 21.5 Sprint can maybe see a speed and stability benefit as efficiency and drag play huge in glide and speed vs a wider 23.  Maybe pros will catch on if guys they dominated before are now nipping at their heels.  As long as the drag vs speed vs stability equation is favorable -> can see value in this.  Board costs will go up though.  Many are not aware how much drag is reduced when dropping down to narrow boards.  It is quite large -> especially noticeable upwind.  Narrow boards just slice thru wind and are super efficient.  My AS23 goes upwind in 5-10 kts extremely quickly.

A quad is less costly than buying 2 or more boards.  For our situation tho we are ok with old school single fin and swapping out as required.  Kinda like perfectly ok with our very old fashioned stick shift tranny in our cars.  No CVT or PDK for us.  ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »
Here is a perfect example where GM goes quick on a Sprint 23.  If swapped for a Sprint 21.5 with quads -> that would probs be very quick.   ;)

Paddler: recreational paddler, male, 41y, 85kg (187lbs) , with lower center of gravity- 174cm (5'8'') , but with large heart
Last year board was 2016 SB All Star 14x23 (AS- bellow mentioning)

Equimpment: 2017 SB Sprint 14x23, original stock fin (Natural Winner Fin), 2016 SB bolt M (oval shaft), Garmin XT310 (mouted on board) with hearth belt.

First impression: wow, this glides on flat. It really cuts water like a hot knife trough butter with no/little noise comparing to AS. Also cuts small waves upwind really good.

Stability: on flat, the Sprint is more stable than AS – I would say only due to lower standing position and 3cm wider tail. Did not try pivot turning as I haven't learn it yet and the water is to cold to learn at this time of the season. 

Traction: with original stock fin the board tracks pretty well, but due to my poor ability still needs some work to paddle in strait line.

Test: 60min. paddling trial in lake two 4,5km circles (please see my garmin profile) to paddle from 130-165 hearth rate/min. Maintaining speed over 9,0 km/h (5,6mi/h) is pretty easy on the board like this (on flat), and over 9,6 km/h (6,0 mi/h) should now become my standard race pace on flat.
I'm fortunate enough to paddling in the lake 10min driving away, almost whole year (except 3 weeks in January due to frozen lake). My average paddle day is 8-12km with no training program, 5times a week which add up to more than 1.500km/year. I'm also fortunate enough to be on Starboard national team which ables me to purchase board at very fair price!
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1653545444

Cheers and paddle on,

M
Fast is FUN!   8)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2017, 04:58:28 AM »
Here is a perfect example where GM goes quick on a Sprint 23.  If swapped for a Sprint 21.5 with quads -> that would probs be very quick.   ;)

Paddler: recreational paddler, male, 41y, 85kg (187lbs) , with lower center of gravity- 174cm (5'8'') , but with large heart
Last year board was 2016 SB All Star 14x23 (AS- bellow mentioning)

Equimpment: 2017 SB Sprint 14x23, original stock fin (Natural Winner Fin), 2016 SB bolt M (oval shaft), Garmin XT310 (mouted on board) with hearth belt.

First impression: wow, this glides on flat. It really cuts water like a hot knife trough butter with no/little noise comparing to AS. Also cuts small waves upwind really good.

Stability: on flat, the Sprint is more stable than AS – I would say only due to lower standing position and 3cm wider tail. Did not try pivot turning as I haven't learn it yet and the water is to cold to learn at this time of the season. 

Traction: with original stock fin the board tracks pretty well, but due to my poor ability still needs some work to paddle in strait line.

Test: 60min. paddling trial in lake two 4,5km circles (please see my garmin profile) to paddle from 130-165 hearth rate/min. Maintaining speed over 9,0 km/h (5,6mi/h) is pretty easy on the board like this (on flat), and over 9,6 km/h (6,0 mi/h) should now become my standard race pace on flat.
I'm fortunate enough to paddling in the lake 10min driving away, almost whole year (except 3 weeks in January due to frozen lake). My average paddle day is 8-12km with no training program, 5times a week which add up to more than 1.500km/year. I'm also fortunate enough to be on Starboard national team which ables me to purchase board at very fair price!
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1653545444

Cheers and paddle on,

M

Interestingly, some of these turned up to the UK's first big race last week. I counted 2-3 of them (with another 2-3 23 inch versions). Popular at the front end but a real handful in a race with 50 other guys was my impression.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »
Yeah - some of the more serious racers here are moving to the Sprint 23 and 21.5 as the AS23 is too slow on flat.  Jason the guy selling his AS23 is something like 6'2" and 170 or so.  He notes that max rider weight is around 80 kgs.
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest