Author Topic: cracked fin box on new board.  (Read 4268 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
cracked fin box on new board.
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
last November i ordered a new custom board. my own design and shape. Got it hoe around march  but didn't get to surf it for a bout a month or so.  Then when I finally did the conditions were crappy   and I surfed it any way   just 2 times. thence moved over to carlsbad and  between that and work did not get in the water much  on any board only one time on the green board. I weighed right after surfing it an  it came in at 28 lbs ( 10'0" x 32 @185 liters) I was kinda disappointed to see it was so heavy  because it was a Carbon mesh wrap  see the pictures . I figure it would be  below 24 lbs  because my other board which is 10' 3" x 34" @205 liters  is  only 26 lbs.    so as thing would have my  26 lb board the black one had been taking water so it had  been in the shop for  months  same thing broken fin boxes.  so when I got it back I surfed it.  now I was beginning to get some time in surfing so Switched back to my green board and ws elated with it. I surfed it for about 4 hours.  when I got out  I was tired  and kept thinking this board  is f____ heavy   but I just attributed it to me being tired.  so I hung it back in the garage fins up flat form the rafters on 2 ropes That was on tuesday the 1st of Nov >  I went out to  take some pictures and  as I lowered water came pouring out of the fin box.  so I got it down and weighed it .29.9 lbs  WTF  and more water in the fin box. Turns oath box is cracked at the bottom  and side intersection I am thinking always has been and  every time I surfed it it took water.   maybe that is why it was so heavy the second time I surfed. it.  What do you all think.  The big problem is  because didn't surf it much  i didn't see it earlier and now instead of a new board I have  used board although   only 4 times it  is has had  damage.    This seriously bums me out  because th board is really really a good design and I cannot  replace it.   So  what should i do? Right now it is back at the shop   and they are going  to route out the box and put a new on in . the cracks in th bottom of the box length side and when I finally pulled  the fins and took it over they saw  too.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: cracked fin box on new board.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
I'm not sure what you are asking Outside, but it sounds like you are getting the boxes fixed which is great.  That's a great looking board and hopefully they will let the foam dry out for a while after they rout out the old boxes.

I would not be too worried about a 185 liter board coming in at 28lbs unless it was full carbon.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
I guess i am just whining and moaning. it was supposed to be a kevlar wrap so it would be very light and strong. under  22lbs I just think I would be dealing with  a cracked box and taking water since I got that board  because my old one did the same.  Just bummed is all.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
That makes sense, since it was built about a year ago, Kings probably used Kevlar as opposed to CF vector net (since that's what was more widely available then).  But the net alone (CF or Kevlar) does not reduce weight, in fact it adds weight unless it replaces a layer.  What it will do, is provide a stronger and stiffer board for the long run.  Every board has to have its first scrapes, but I'll take a broken box over a lot of other dings, including a crushed rail, snap, delamination, etc.  both from a structural and aesthetic point of view.

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
You might want to reconsider those winged fins.  Especially that center fin.  My guess is that fin design creates a longer moment arm and is increasing side loads on your fin box.

MISC

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »
Ian not so sure. There is only about 2 square inches of fin area so that would be like riding a  9 inch center fin and I would expect to see some glass damage around the box. But hey what do I know.  I was talking to one of the shop, guys and he said they had another box crack also.  But what do the rest of you think   

Could a winged fin crack a fin box in ordinary surfing?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 03:36:30 AM »
Absolutely not. 

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:23:18 AM »
Manufacturing defects are a fact of life..... the fin box may have had a hairline crack that opened up under stress.
Dave will take care of you... the crew at Kings will dry it back to "as new" weight.

They only real problem you have is your priorities..... put surfing at the top of that list!  ;)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 06:15:51 AM »
They only real problem you have is your priorities..... put surfing at the top of that list!  ;)

Amen to that, the box may have simply dried out from lack of use ;D

I'd love to hear how you make out on this repair OSW.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »
I can not stress enough to you guys to get your glassers to put oval 6 oz patches around EVERY fin connection where the box\plug meets the board. The foam just doesn't have enough strength to support the lateral pressure from the fins, especially the larger center fin so all the stress is in the surrounding glass at the surface.. Also MAKE SURE your glasser is installing the boxes before laminating.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »
excellent point but I would hope that the  better shapers and glassers  would know to do that.   But in this case  it was the bottom of the fin box that  cracked.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 05:16:08 PM »
But in this case  it was the bottom of the fin box that  cracked.

Is it one of those two piece fin boxes? Never use those.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »
I thought we were looking at one of the side boxes, Futures.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:14:46 PM by Bean »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:49:12 PM »
Nope center box. And as far as I know it was a 1 price box. I trust Dave to know what to use and how to fix it.  Not something I ever thought about before. So the wait is on

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
Nope center box. And as far as I know it was a 1 price box. I trust Dave to know what to use and how to fix it.  Not something I ever thought about before. So the wait is on

The fact that they still make two piece longboard boxes and so many shapers use them, should be reason to trust nobody. Ask!

Looks like a two piece Bahne to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal