Author Topic: My first touring/race board!  (Read 5703 times)

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My first touring/race board!
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:00:02 AM »
Found a 2012 (I think) Starboard touring at 12'6" x 30" on craigslist for $500, and I couldn't resist! It's in great shape far as I can tell, and it must be the starshot model because it feels & sounds different than regular FRP.

Anyone have experience with this board? My hope is to do some recreational races with it in the near future. I don't care about being FAST, but I'm hoping this board will handle the chop better, and be a little easier upwind - my universal shape board sounds like a gong hitting the chop, and it nearly stops forward momentum. 

So, I drove 200 miles to Seattle & back to go get it last night, and it's still on the roof of my van so I can try it out today after work. I figure it's a tad small for my weight (240lbs), but I'm psyched to see how it rides compared to my universal surf shape. The nose is slightly rockered with a flat bottom, but a lot of volume up top to shed water. Looks like the board Connor is riding in the Makai ad to the left of this page, actually
<--<--<--<--

Here's a page that describes the board, I can't find very much info on it. I'm trying to attach pics, but not sure if they are going to show up.
http://sailsportmarine.com/stand-up-paddle-boards-c-2_20/starboard-126-x-30-touring-sup-board-p-675.html
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My first touring/race board!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
Looks like a good buy for a board that's in good shape.  If you ever see a tall lady on a blue sup sports 11'er in the while paddling in the bay, wave hello to my niece.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
Wow, that looks to be in excellent shape for a 5 year old board! Well done...

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
Will do! Tell her to be aware that a weird dude might ask her if he can try her board, because the SUPsports One World series make me weak in the knees - SUCH a sweet shape!

In all seriousness, I'll be putting up a CL ad to find other paddlers in my area and arrange some regular group paddles. I have plans for the area that I am working on behind the scenes to grow the sport locally :-D

Looks like a good buy for a board that's in good shape.  If you ever see a tall lady on a blue sup sports 11'er in the while paddling in the bay, wave hello to my niece.

Love is never wasted

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
Hey, PM me if you ever make that 200 mile drive to Seattle again and want to have a paddle on Lake Union. I have a board that would suit you well.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Hey, PM me if you ever make that 200 mile drive to Seattle again and want to have a paddle on Lake Union. I have a board that would suit you well.

Will do, for sure! I haven't found any paddlers around here, and I plan on doing Round the Rock next year, so I'd love to come down & play on Lake Union. Having a board you think would suit me well to try out is just icing on the cake  :D

Love is never wasted

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
Rem - here is a review of that board but in the Wood layup.  I have the SB Touring 14x30 Carbon with pintail version.  And can say that if I could only keep one board -> that would be it.  The 14 is plenty fast stable and efficient for a touring race board.  And have taken that board on multiple 15-25 kt DW runs. The 12’6 you just bought looks like the Starshot version.  Enjoy!

http://www.paddlesurf.ca/2013/07/starboard-126-touring-review/

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »
Sweet, nice find.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »
I paddled the same 12'6"model for a couple of years in the starshot/AST. Wish I kept it. Paddled the touring in in every kind of condition you can think of from decent sized swell on the ocean, class 1 and 2 rapids on rivers, and glass to confused waters on lakes. After having some experience on various other models now, I can say it was an underrated board in the 12'6". More than just a board for glassy inland waters imo. Once I got used to the handling characteristics, it was a fairly capable board. There is no chine underneath and it gets on a plane fairly well. Huge difference in going to this board from an all around surfshape. Much better upwind and on flatwater. There is an adjustment going from a pure planing shape in crosschop/quartering swell/cross winds, but it does quite well once you get the handling figured. At 240 pounds you will be wanting more board eventually, but it will float you okay. I had over 250 pounds on mine for overnighters and it did alright. 277 litres on a 12'6" is a decent amount of volume.

It's a good score for 500 frog skins and will make a fine back up or loaner board if/when you get another one.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
This is a great find and at a very good used price. I know you'll be enjoying this board when you take her out on the water.

Thanks for showing the photos of her.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 07:34:30 AM »
Your first SURFING/touring/race board  ;D

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
Rem - the 12'6 SB Touring you just bought has a very strong tendency to pearl twist and toss catching waves when up front.  So provided you compensate for that - you should be good on a DW run.  The double concaves allow that board to plane like the original Bullet 14V1.   ;)

There is an adjustment going from a pure planing shape in crosschop/quartering swell/cross winds, but it does quite well once you get the handling figured. At 240 pounds you will be wanting more board eventually, but it will float you okay.

It's a good score for 500 frog skins and will make a fine back up or loaner board if/when you get another one.

I just took it out for 4 hours yesterday in the aftermath of our storm, and it was absolutely AMAZING compared to my universal shape, but like you said Robon I had to get used to the handling characteristics of the board.

Eagle - That strong tendency to pearl twist and toss was so obvious when I turned downwind I had to laugh.  You weren't kidding at all! I ended up having to be pretty far back on the board to keep the nose from pearling & twisting, so I'll be adding some deck pads, or hex traction, or wax mat, or something!

I read that review you shared the link to, and the reviewer was right on, IMO. It was hypnotic watching the nose bury in the chop upwind, and it provides stability rather than throwing your balance off. Paddling upwind has been the most frustrating part of riding that universal, and this board feels like it hardly skips a beat when punching through the chop upwind. The nose is a bit of a sail, so it's hard to keep straight unless dead upwind...but that's a small price to pay.

Your first SURFING/touring/race board  ;D

I can't wait to surf this once I get some more gription on her tail, Dusk!

After all the boards I demo'd at PPG a few weeks ago, this board is my favourite to ride. One of the offspring from this design - the Allstar 14 - may well be my next board, but it might be a while. Just like the 2016 Allstar 14 x 28, this 12'6" x 30 board is a weeble - it wobbles, but it won't fall down. It took me an hour to get used to it, but once I did I couldn't fall off. It is so incredibly stable it's hard to believe.

This board is definitely underrated, and I won't be letting it go. If anything, my wife could definitely enjoy it when we start doing San Juan Island hopping (her idea!). My 240lbs is definitely at the upper limit for it, but it's still a dream. It would suit her perfectly if she decides to go with a touring board.

Thanks for all your help & info, fellow Zoners!!

Love is never wasted

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
Glad you are liking your board. At 240 pounds, pearling will be even more pronounced going down wind on the 12'6" touring (or any other 12'6"), so taking a step back is important. One thing I wanted to add is even though the board has a tendency to pearl and the nose will twist/go side to side, is to not over compensate. I noticed that when the nose goes underwater, the volume does help it come back up fairly quickly, so it's just as important to ride out that initial side to side wiggle you feel by staying low, and not moving too far laterally in either direction to compensate. If you're standing tall and over compensate, it's easy to get bucked off at first. It doesn't take too long to get used to the underwater action of the nose. Just ride out that initial movement, stay low and get ready to brace. After awhile you will be more relaxed and the nose action won't throw you off much at all. Definitely not a top choice for DW conditions but the Touring is capable once you get the handling figured out.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
Rem - the 12'6 SB Touring you just bought has a very strong tendency to pearl twist and toss catching waves when up front.  So provided you compensate for that - you should be good on a DW run.  The double concaves allow that board to plane like the original Bullet 14V1.   ;)

Eagle - That strong tendency to pearl twist and toss was so obvious when I turned downwind I had to laugh.  You weren't kidding at all! I ended up having to be pretty far back on the board to keep the nose from pearling & twisting, so I'll be adding some deck pads, or hex traction, or wax mat, or something!

After all the boards I demo'd at PPG a few weeks ago, this board is my favourite to ride. One of the offspring from this design - the Allstar 14 - may well be my next board, but it might be a while. Just like the 2016 Allstar 14 x 28, this 12'6" x 30 board is a weeble - it wobbles, but it won't fall down. It took me an hour to get used to it, but once I did I couldn't fall off. It is so incredibly stable it's hard to believe.

This board is definitely underrated, and I won't be letting it go.

Thanks for all your help & info, fellow Zoners!!

Haha!  Rem - good to see you having fun on that board.  As long as you step back and take control of that puppy - it will obey your every command.  The odd thing about that board is that once dialed in - it can pretty much handle anything reasonably well.  Can go upwind crosswind and DW in pretty rough conditions.  Not many boards can do that very fast with good stability.  As well have paddled that board over longer distances - which often turn nasty in the ocean - and it has always brought me back home safe and dry.

The 14 I have uses a very soft rounded pintail like the Ace - so it makes it very efficient but adds some extra challenge DW.  Can be overcome - but just requires nerve and speed to maintain control surfing down a wave.  Using wave momentum and a few well timed power paddle strokes - the board will jump on plane with the double concaves providing good lift.  Brian designed a really versatile board back then - and would probably be still on the market if he was still there.  Just love it when that board slams and skips over the waves.  Your version should surf and plane quite a bit better.  Enjoy!

For $500 on CL you scored on a very versatile stable solid board.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:51:05 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
It's a great board in almost all conditions.  Which is what it was designed for. 
I still have a 12'6" and a 14' of it and will keep them both forever. 
(helps that my name is on the bottom).

Enjoy.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf