Author Topic: Types of exercises that benefit SUP  (Read 16640 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Types of exercises that benefit SUP
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
AA had this to say about SUP before she got really strong -

"SUP helps to improve your balance, proprioception and core strength. Last time I checked these were all vitally important for almost every sport."

"Cross training is really important for me and it helps me remain free from injury. I incorporate kettle bell circuits/plyometrics, running, cycling and yoga into my weekly training schedule."

You can bet she has an extremely strong CNS and mature musculature and muscle memory based on her high achievements in skiing and other sports.  Skiing at FIS levels requires extremely high quad power.  Some women do have extremely high strength to weight ratios - and way enough to shame most men.  But yet have small looking muscles.

Interestingly I do SUP to specifically improve my balance, proprioception and core strength.  And as well do kettle bell circuits and plyometrics.  To me in middle age -> fat loss - good balance - and muscle mass gain - are very important factors to a strong body.  But do take it slow and gentle if you have no background - or have a low strength to weight ratio.  You can really injure yourself.  Best then to start with light dumbbells and no weight squats.

http://standuppaddle.blogspot.ca/2011/02/interview-with-top-sup-athlete-annabel.html

http://www.supthemag.com/features/from-the-mag/annabel-anderson-the-kiwi-queen/#ZcRFTcLxxlD7AbvA.97
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
Lots of great suggestions so far but I will reiterate the importance of plain old strength training for everyone, especially any masters athlete. We lose muscle mass at a specific rate each decade we age. Factors that may slow that rate down include but are not limited to: genetics, diet, resistance exercise, overall health. Now no matter what our health or fitness goal may be we will only benefit, not become less healthy,  from having a higher degree of lean muscle mass and less fat for our body type. Go ahead and use high end athletes who are all younger than most of us as examples of people who may not advertise their strength training or lack there of on how we should emulate our training.  Some of them are great despite not because of their habits. But all you need to do is follow the science of exercise and performance to help you along your path of becoming a better functioning human. That's a long winded way of saying you can certainly save time by focusing on squatting, pressing, and deadlifting in any form, with some weight, body or otherwise.  Not only will you have more in the tank for multi sport training but you'll keep some of those metabolic diseases at bay too.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
Before I thought it was inevitable that everyone lost muscle mass due to aging.  But interestingly that is not always the case.  If you do proper targeted exercises in middle age - you can actually stop and reverse this.  My DEXA results and other clinical trials confirm that. 

Since I am now content with my BF% size and strength - I have transitioned to simply maintaining my weight.  I only do what is necessary to slowly drop remaining fat while putting on a bit more muscle mass - one to one is good.  And since my BMD also has increased - this reverses osteoporosis risk.  Bottom line is that muscle loss and BMD loss and visceral fat gain can not only be slowed -> but in fact prevented and reversed in certain cases.

Excess fat is very much metabolically active and is super toxic when located as visceral fat.  It can completely screw up your hormone balance and create a ton of inflammation.  There is no doubt that a lean body is deemed by many as a very healthy body.

Personally I like squats most then DL then olympic lifts then bench etc.  All heavy compound ones are by far my faves and produce the best results.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:53:15 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »
Without a doubt Kettlebell trainings.
Russian swings
Snatches

They work exactly the same muscles as needed by sup paddling.

Cheap but requires technique

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
Today at 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]