Author Topic: Ultimate hydration pack suggestions? What do you use?  (Read 19071 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Ultimate hydration pack suggestions? What do you use?
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »
I own several hydration bags, including Da Kine waist pack and back pack versions as well as a vest pac Wilson pack.  They all work fine but all have drawbacks.
For the Molokai race, I want to use something that can hold two different fluids, one with water/ electrolytes and one with nutrition mixed in, depending on what I feel like.  I found this bladder which holds two different fluids:
http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/home/149-divide-hydration-system#/volume-2l_70oz

I don't think it will fit in my Da Kine pack, so I'm looking for a new pack, ideally with pockets on the front for easy access to nutrition, lightweight and good for use in water (drains).  Any suggestions?

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate hydration pack suggestions? What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
There is no better bladder available today. Source is the absolute best!!!
There's a very good reason why the most elite military forces in the world rely on Source bladders.
What's even better is they require little to no maintenance. Tip: Never use a brush to clean the inside of a Source bladder. Just rinse and go or use some soap and warm water if needed.
I've been using Source since they were first distributed here in the US. I've yet to find anything better. Not aftertaste, no cleaning, no hassle. Their bite valve is also easy to clean and can be locked to avoid leaks, but some find it a bit big.

Ion, NP Surf, and DolfinPack offer some options for SUP hydration packs, but they only carry 1-2L bladders.
I've heard CamelBak will be discontinuing their H2O hydration packs for 2017.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:15:50 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Osprey packs are among the most comfortable next to skin. Check the new viper series.  The 3 looks like the right size. (bladder specs a re listed on their page)

Does has a small pocket on left shoulder strap but designed only for hose through the right sleeve. Call and ask them if 2 would fit.

I like the idea of that double bladder. One thing i hate about bladders is I don’t know where I am in consumption. Double chamber would help w that.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »
For the Molokai race, I want to use something that can hold two different fluids, one with water/ electrolytes and one with nutrition mixed in, depending on what I feel like.
Orange Mud makes a unique hydration vest that they market to SUP. It's designed to carry two bottles:
http://www.orangemud.com/collections/sup-hydration-packs/products/hydraquiver-db?variant=307348373

If you need the drinking tubes, there are a few brands including Source that offer conversion kits for bottles (depending on bottle type).
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
I don't own one, but there is the Mountain Hardware Fluid Race Vest - 3l capacity and weighs just 190g.  Has pockets in front, and you can route tubes over both shoulders.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/fluid-race-vest-OU5945.html?cgid=equipment-packs-running&dwvar_OU5945_variationColor=342#start=0

There is also a larger Race VestPack, but that's probably more than you need.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 11:59:22 PM »
Thank you for all the great suggestions.  There are a lot of choices out there but I guess I'm picky.  I like the look of the Mountain Hardware Fluid Race vest.
Does anyone have the Camelback Molokai pack?  I'm wondering if it would possible to use the two liquid source bladder with this pack? 
https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-62214-Molokai-Hydration-Vest/dp/B00EPGTENE
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:04:44 AM »
Looking at pictures of Travis, http://www.supracer.com/2015-molokai-2-oahu-paddleboard-world-championships-lottery/
 it looks like he uses a VestPac and a hydration belt with a bottle.

http://vestpac.com/hydration-packs/

https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Delaney-Hydration-Waistpack-Black/dp/B00O0UV18G/ref=sr_1_92?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1468349976&sr=1-92&keywords=water+bottle+belt
I guess that worked for Travis but the straps on the VestPac are flexible and move around too much for my taste and I don't like strapping stuff around my waist in long races. 
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 06:19:24 AM »
You don’t have a lot of time Robert. Whatever you decide on you need to start testing it really good to make sure it doesn’t cause any chafing or other problem. Good Luck!
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 06:29:26 AM »
Does anyone have the Camelback Molokai pack?  I'm wondering if it would possible to use the two liquid source bladder with this pack? 

I have a Molokai pack. No. the Molokai bladder is integral to the pack. Not modular to be able to use third party bladders.

I like the Camelback Molokai for its front pockets. great for quick access to a camera. But for a long haul race I'd pick an Osprey. IMO the shoulder straps are the least chafing and most breathable.

I know they have a small front shoulder pocket but you can refll it by dropping one shoulder strap and getting more from your stock in the backpack side pockets. It's quick, I do that all the time biking (no not riding, a v quick stop).

That said the Mountain Hardware Fluid Race Vest looks right for routing fluid over each shoulder strap plus has front pocket. Just be careful with front pockets like that! In wipeouts you can lose stuff.

I now prefer a pack I can zip stuff safe in back and a small shoulder pocket for quick access. I like the full internal routing along shoulder straps. In the car and travel. especially in groups,when tossing stuff around one can have the nozzle tucked inside the shoulder routing thus keeping it clean.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:45:26 AM by yugi »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 06:35:30 AM »
The Molokai has a good shape, but I'm very disappointed that it only has those two small front pockets. Couldn't it have a small pocket in the back for a phone?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »
I'd use a Camelbak Octane XCT. It can take a 3L pack and you can run the tubes over each shoulder. Side hip pockets are useful.

Mind you, having 3L on your back isn't ideal. It's better for my balance to use my Camelbak Baja with an extra bladder stuffed in the back pocket.

But the Octane XCT with quick link system is a more robust arrangement if there are going to be lots of falls. I like the zippered side pockets too - I know nothing is coming out when it shouldn't. There are little pockets you could use for gels on the shoulder straps too, but no closures on them - maybe better just for keeping the mouthpieces from flailing around.

In general I'm not that impressed with Camelbaks. But I haven't found anything better so far for 3L.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »
I got a Divide bladder for my Vaikobi PFD, but 3L is a lot of weight up high, so I only used it once. I generally use a Camelbak Baja. I can stick my iPhone in the shoulder pocket to have music and pacing without earphones. I've modified mine to hold a belt PFD in place and added an internal loop for a waist leash. Sooner or later I'm going to have to design a hydration system. there isn't anything available that I think works just right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
Re. Bladder in a Molokai.

Well, it could fit a 30 x 18 cm bladder. I suspect thats a bit small?

Not so hard to remove the original one. tubes can go thru each shoulder.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 09:22:24 AM »
Thank you for all the great suggestions.  There are a lot of choices out there but I guess I'm picky.  I like the look of the Mountain Hardware Fluid Race vest.

I have both the Molokai and Tahoe waist pack from Camelback.  Love both but use the Tahoe more often.  It's 50 oz which is plenty for me...it has two options for the location of the nozzle..either cinched at the waist or comes with a harness which keeps the nozzle shoulder height (never used this)
The Molokai is a nice hydration pack too, but I could fit more in my Tahoe..50 oz , a inflatable PFD, sunscreen, snacks..it all fits perfectly.  adds some back support as well which is a nice bonus
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM