Author Topic: Take Off Your Damn Shoes!  (Read 12039 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Take Off Your Damn Shoes!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 10:24:43 PM »
Smurf Feet!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:33 AM »
I got four airhead tie-downs and two bungee cords a month ago for carrying gear on day trips.  They work on my glass and matte carbon boards. Then I figured out that I could just use two airheads and one bungee cord to secure crocks on the front of my board and so now do this all the time rather than suffer a painful walk across rocks.  For summer flatwater paddling it's the best of both worlds, shoes on land and barefoot on the board.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 06:16:05 AM »
Smurf Feet!

Hilarious!

I love how nobody around here really cares how they look. As long as something works, that's great.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 08:02:59 AM »
I got four airhead tie-downs and two bungee cords a month ago for carrying gear on day trips.  They work on my glass and matte carbon boards. Then I figured out that I could just use two airheads and one bungee cord to secure crocks on the front of my board and so now do this all the time rather than suffer a painful walk across rocks.  For summer flatwater paddling it's the best of both worlds, shoes on land and barefoot on the board.

I do the same for flatwater paddling... walk into the water with my flip flops on, then wedge them under the bungee tidedown before I start paddling.

If I'm surfing or racing from a sandy launch, I'll often go barefoot, but I've cut my feet up too many times to walk barefoot into murky water any more. Like Ichabod, when I started paddling, I always wore my sandals (Chacos, with thick 1" soles). Partly for protecting my feet, but also because any other kind of standing/running exercise hurt my arches without orthotics, and these sandals provided better arch support than going barefoot. Once I ditched them and went barefoot, I was amazed how much my balance and board control was improved, and my arch pain while paddling completely disappeared too!

Now the only thing I'll wear while paddling in warm weather are some really thin, split-toed reef shoes. I'd try the five-finger type, but I've got webbed middle toes on one foot.  :D

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 09:30:13 AM »
Didn't realize how fortunate I am.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times per year I wear anything on my feet.  Paved park and sandy beach to cross on the launch.  Air temp at it's worst is in the 40s (but quickly rises as the sun comes up) and water temp maybe around 60.  Even on the rare days when I put on tights, even rarer that I put on booties.  I get warm so quickly from paddling that I don't ever notice my feet being cold.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
I surf and paddle on these all the time hot or cold. I usually surf in a rocky break/beach. I've even gone on 7 mile hikes with these. Very thin underfoot and light. The 3 toe design makes it easier to slip in or out of. They last me about 6 months going surfing about twice a week.

Body Glove 3T Barefoot Max

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
I second body glove 3T shoes, construction isn't great but much easier than the 5 Toe vibrams. Love mine, they are holding up. Revelation going from booties to these on surf ski, I can actually bend my toes to control rudder.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
I took out my five toe Vibram Smurf feet today.  On the basis of a short session, I can give them an unqualified YES!

I have only been barefoot about three times on a board, twice with one foot only because my bootie got blown off my foot and once just to try with both feet.  I tore up my toes, though, and reef ouchies didn't enamor me of the process.  I am pretty much used to having some kind of footwear on.

I can say that with these shoes I have never felt so anchored to the board.  I would give a preliminary estimate of 10 to15 percent balance improvement, and about 30 percent in gripping the board for buoy turns.  That's a LOT for the Prowave, where tiny changes in foot position alter the board feel a lot. The grip is going to require some adjustment. Definitely some better feedback from the footsies going on there.

I am so used to the "slide" with my usual neoprene things that having toes that can grip and being planted like this is a novel sensation.  I also have to pick my feet up more to move them around, no shimmying to cheat.

They are plenty of protection for reef and sand objects, no discomfort at all. 

Downsides so far:  they aren't warm at all, and I would imagine in winter they would enhance wind chill.  The leash can get "stuck" in between the toes.

I was in the area around Privates that I call the crucible, because at 2.5 feet tide and above shore reflection and reef whirlies make this area a balance challenge.  I was able to balance in it today and stay planted and feel nuances in the rotary motions of my knees. Cool

I'm looking forward to trying them some more to make sure my perceptions are real.  I'll give some follow up.

A tiny audacious  baby girl came up to me at Privates and pointed at them and asked me what they were.  I told her they were Smurf feet.  She touched them and said, "I don't like Smurfs!" and ran away.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
I can say that with these shoes I have never felt so anchored to the board.  I would give a preliminary estimate of 10 to15 percent balance improvement, and about 30 percent in gripping the board for buoy turns.  That's a LOT for the Prowave, where tiny changes in foot position alter the board feel a lot. The grip is going to require some adjustment. Definitely some better feedback from the footsies going on there.

I am so used to the "slide" with my usual neoprene things that having toes that can grip and being planted like this is a novel sensation.  I also have to pick my feet up more to move them around, no shimmying to cheat.

They are plenty of protection for reef and sand objects, no discomfort at all. 

I was able to balance in it today and stay planted and feel nuances in the rotary motions of my knees. Cool.

Get these if you can.  Maiori.  They are made of neoprene uppers.  And are my go to water shoes.  Discontinued - but you can still probs get them if you search hard enough.  They are def worth it.    ;)

"The grip between the SUP and the Maiori booties was superb and the padding the insole provided was definetly preferable to bare feet on plastic."

"I would wear the Maiori anytime I am paddling a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard in cold-water conditions or when I need extra support or foot protection."

http://paddling.about.com/od/gearequipment/fr/Fivefingers-Maiori-Kayaking-Sup-And-Creekwalking-Review.htm
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
They do exist in colors for heteros.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »
Second session, I agree with my first session.  Was able to push and pull the board around much better with my feet using the grip of the Vibram Fivefingers. I survived standing on the Prowave in a few instances where I believe with my other booties, I would have been tossed.  I can really grab the board with my feet and feel the sensation of the board's contact patch better.

I can see why some guys refuse to go anything but barefoot.  In winter, it amazes me the guys/gals who are still out there barefoot. Nice calloused feet would probably be even better than the Fivefingers thingies.

I don't think I will go barefoot, but these do provide connection and feedback better than any of the booties I have worn.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:47:07 PM by SUPcheat »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
These are easy on easy off, so good for getting to and from the water with some foot wear.
With left foot drop, flip flops don't work for some of us.  They don't fit tight.  So probably not a good idea for surfing or choppy water. 
They are available at REI.
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra+Flex+Booties

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?