Author Topic: Waist High or less East Coast longboard SUP suggestions  (Read 6806 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Waist High or less East Coast longboard SUP suggestions
« on: June 12, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Well summer is here and so are the ankle slappers. 

For anything waist (knee really) or less i have been surfing my wife's Isle glider 10'10. with an Al merrick notched Single fin to help it turn.

Its still waay too much of a tank, and i find myself using it ALOT this summer. (no waves) What i'm looking for is a bit of contradictions in terms and I need the zone's helps- since demo's are hard to come by in NJ.

-TONS of glide.  want to get in real easy since most of these waves close out and the riding occurs before the real pocket happens (as much as it does on knee high waves)

-Ability to turn- I like a good trim and cross step- Not much of a noserider guy- but will. but not at the sacrific of a monther sqare tail and fin. .....but i do want to be able to get up and down the waves and cutback when the opportunity presents- (again as much as can be had on small waves)

- Light.  My wife has trouble loading and unloading her Isle 10'10. its a beast.  i want her to be able to use this by herself and load on and off the car.

- readily availible- No sense buying a summer board if it will deliver in October..

-10-11 ft in length. 170ltrs or under.
again this board will never be ridden in wave bigger than waist high and only in Beachbreak.  I have other boards for the big fun stuff.

PS- im 5'10 205 or so in trunks.

On the radar are the Naish Nalu (Which model?) and Sunova Style- but completely open to suggestions and my info comes from this site where those brands are plugged hard.

most other brands at this length seem to be 'allrounders' which i don't need/ want- at this length it should be surf specific (anything this big will flatwater fine for my needs.)

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waist High or less East Coast longboard SUP suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »
I would suggest you look seriously at the Sunova Style or Style XL in XXX construction.  Board has style, glide and surfs well.  Board is a blast.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
Hi NJS

There were a decent amount of Styles and Style XL's delivered to shops on the East Coast.
I will check and see what is left in the shops.

The 10 x 29" Style is only 130 liters, so you might want to consider an XL or the Style 10'6 x 30" at 148 L

Strange as it may seem.... I have never ridden a Sunova Style, or even picked one up, so I can't comment on them.
Hopefully I will get a chance to ride one soon.

I am totally happy with the 10'6 Surf in ECO build.... it is a really responsive board, I love the way it rides.
Working on a video at the moment, but need more waves.
The 10'6 ECO Surf is only 25 lbs and less expensive than most longboard SUPs.... but I don't think there are any available at the moment

Some pics to give you something to look at  ;)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:52:40 PM »
Well summer is here and so are the ankle slappers. 

For anything waist (knee really) or less i have been surfing my wife's Isle glider 10'10. with an Al merrick notched Single fin to help it turn.

-TONS of glide.  want to get in real easy since most of these waves close out and the riding occurs before the real pocket happens (as much as it does on knee high waves)

-Ability to turn- I like a good trim and cross step- Not much of a noserider guy- but will. but not at the sacrific of a monther sqare tail and fin. .....but i do want to be able to get up and down the waves and cutback when the opportunity presents- (again as much as can be had on small waves)

Whatever board you get and maybe even for your old board, for small and/or weak waves,
I would try putting in the smallest fin(s) that still lets you turn as you'd like to.

On my Laird 10'6" for very small waves, in order to get the least resistance and
the best glide possible and to get in early for as long a ride as possible,
I've used a pretty narrow 7.5" Fins Unlimited Swept Fin, front pin as a single.
The only thing is that it is slidy slidy on bigger waves that get a bit steep
- still super fun (a bit tricky), and slidy slidy on the top turn - fun in small waves. 
I think a rear pin version where you can get the fin back further would
be even better.  If your balance isn't developed you would want a slightly
larger fin - maybe a little taller and wider to slide less.  If you don't want to slide
your turns at all, then go bigger or use three fins.

Another thing to do, if you can use a three fin setup,
is to use the smallest side bytes you can find - FCS GL's are standard and are 3.5" high
and would probably be the easiest to find (but there are smaller ones around),
& use the smallest center fin where the combo lets you turn as you wish.
You'll be able to use an even smaller center fin than as a single only fin.  Sometimes I use a
5.5” Fins Unlimited Cutaway.  And, with the sidies that will even work in fairly
large waves (if your not too far up on the tip, cause it can pull out).   In this setup, I'll even use
a center fin as small as a 4" Fins Unlimited Swept Fin, rear pin - of course, it will also pull out if you are way
up on the nose, but I really appreciate the low resistance and ease of glide
for small or weak wave. -- I've also found that larger sidebites and a small trailer/nubster also work well,
as long as the waves aren't too big nor too fast.

Also, if you have good tail rocker, the further back the fin, the easier it will be to turn.

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:27:35 PM »
I'd go 9'5" Surf.  Paddles great and way less board to manage in shore break conditions.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:52:18 AM »
Also, if you have good tail rocker, the further back the fin, the easier it will be to turn.

Interesting. How does that work? I always thought it was the other way around.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:38:31 AM »

Yugi your correct - The further the fin is forward in the box the easier and snappier it is to turn !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:17 AM »

Yeah, me too.  Until I experienced when, for noseriding, I put a big D fin on my
Jimmy Lewis B&B and I couldn't believe how well it turned.  So, I researched a bit
and found it is because of the tail rocker - the B&B has a lot.  I think the bad rap on turning with
big fins way back on the tail board was from earlier boards that did not have much tail rocker.
Anyway, so now I often use notched fins on the B&B for better noseriding but
it still turns great because the further back it is, the steeper the rocker is.

That is on a single fin.

On my Laird, the further back as a single, turns great, BUT
using the side bites, the further back the center fin, the further it is from the side
bites and it makes the turning arch bigger.  So move the center fin forward to
form more of a cluster with the side bites and it turns almost like a pivot turn (very quick), especially
if your fins are more vertical, less swept.

Fins can really change how a board handles.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:03:53 AM by Subber »
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
That's funny Sub, I find my B&B to be looser with the fin further forward.  I really like the way the stock fin feels when I get way back on the tail and pivot.

Apparently, JL has added an in-between size to the B&B lineup so if you factor in the concave nose vs the non-concave nose, now there are 6 possible B&B noseriders to choose from.  The more speedy, non concave nose might be a more versatile, all-round board for the fast beach breaks that frequent the east coast.   

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »
That's funny Sub, I find my B&B to be looser with the fin further forward.  I really like the way the stock fin feels when I get way back on the tail and pivot.

Apparently, JL has added an in-between size to the B&B lineup so if you factor in the concave nose vs the non-concave nose, now there are 6 possible B&B noseriders to choose from.  The more speedy, non concave nose might be a more versatile, all-round board for the fast beach breaks that frequent the east coast.   

Yup, it is amazing how fast that board whips around - its the tail rocker.
I'll have to try the stock (11" pivot) fin again - geeze, I have so many fins but to get toes
over the D-fin has worked best for me.

I saw they now have a "mid size." 

I'd like to try one without the concave and feel the differences - noseriding
and paddle speed - probably paddles faster?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:39:57 AM by Subber »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
It seems the theory is you get more lift with the concave, but more speed without.  I sometimes look for more speed from my B&B but when it's on, it's on...

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
Ben and Subber- how would you guys rate the Jimmy Lewis line for conditions as i listed.

Im all for playing with Fins.  The notched 9'0 Fin on the Isle is the only thing that makes it useable.  With the monster longboard fin in - no matter the placement- it makes a straight line unless hit by a missile. ::)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
-TONS of glide. 
- Light.  My wife has trouble loading and unloading her Isle 10'10. its a beast.  i want her to be able to use this by herself and load on and off the car.
- readily availible- No sense buying a summer board if it will deliver in October..
-10-11 ft in length. 170ltrs or under.
PS- im 5'10 205 or so in trunks.

The B&B checks all your boxes.  But, if you truly want to get up and down the wave faces or surf more vertical, a more performance oriented longboard might be the call. The B&B is a very specialized/dedicated noserider.  The JL Striker might be a better fit for your needs.  FWIW, I'm about your size and I sink my 9'6" so it's not an ez chair in the line up.  But on the wave, all of that is forgiven.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:33 AM »
Whatever board you get and maybe even for your old board, for small and/or weak waves,
I would try putting in the smallest fin(s) that still lets you turn as you'd like to.

On my Laird 10'6" for very small waves, in order to get the least resistance and
the best glide possible and to get in early for as long a ride as possible,
I've used a pretty narrow 7.5" Fins Unlimited Swept Fin, front pin as a single.
The only thing is that it is slidy slidy on bigger waves that get a bit steep...

Another thing to do, if you can use a three fin setup, FCS GL's, sometimes I use a
5.5” Fins Unlimited Cutaway.  I'll even use a center fin as small as a 4" Fins Unlimited Swept Fin... I really appreciate the low resistance and ease of glide for small or weak wave.

I've also found that larger sidebites and a small trailer/nubster also work well,
as long as the waves aren't too big nor too fast.

Wow, I'm all for smaller fins and low drag, but there's a point where your giving up to much performance.  I longboard and shortboard more then I SUP, but on a longboard SUP, I wouldn't go much below a 9" single or the bigger GX sides with around a 7" to 7.5" center.  Why?  Because at some point the lower resistance reduces your ability to drive and create speed from your turns.

Maybe because the B&Bs you guys are referencing are designed strictly for nose riding, but even then I'd think they'd go better with a bigger keel style or dolphin fin.  Never tried the B&Bs, but based on ride reports, they don't appear to be the the fastest paddling or surfing for their lengths.  That flat nose rocker maybe ideal for noseriding, but it's definitely not user friendly on snappy beach break take-offs.

P.S.  My 9'5" Surf weighs 20lbs, the B&Bs are going to be a lot heavier.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:47:20 AM by baddog »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Baddog,

On the Laird, I only use the small single fins
when it is small.  Yes it slides....the whole board
including the tail will slide if I'm up on the nose and I'm
using one of the smaller single fins. The whole board sliding
toward shore at about 45 degrees - It can make a small
day really fun!

--
Actually, nowadays I pretty much only use the Laird when it is Big and Fast.
Then, I use three small fins for fastest paddling, wave catching and still surfs great.
Its my El Nino Big, Fast Wave board.

Last time out in the big one's on the Laird I was using
7.5” inch O’Fish’L fin, rear pin with some small side bites.
I admit I've got a lot of fins and I switch them around a lot.
I wanted to go smaller but it was big and crowded so I didn't think
experimenting was that good of an idea. 

Once out in very big waves with the 5.5 inch cutaway and sides,
I had some great waves, some of my best but the tail did pull out
once at a critical time...not so great when crowded in big waves.

--
I also have a boat load of big fins, but I've switched using
those over to the B&B to try to hang toes over - success with the D Fin
and also with the Velzy Butterfly fin - but a bit of a drag to paddle.

--
It has been a lot of fun switching the fins around.  Often like I'm on a new
board.  And, often I have difficultly the first wave or two, then I get it dialed in (usually).
The big fins definitely make the board more stable, not just paddling but when surfing.

Once I tried a 7.5" single on the B&B.  The nose was zigging and zagging all over the
place when I was paddling.  I was kooking it up.  Made it tricky for me to catch waves, but the drag was low.
Finally, got the hang of catching waves with that setup - surfed well.  Probably won't use that
set up again though.

So, for me there are a couple of aspects with the fins.  One is ease of paddling,
one is ease of catching, and then there is surfing - whether you want to drive harder or
are more into pivot turns, etc.  Usually, one fin particular fin or setup is better for one or
two aspects but not all three.  Also, where I am it is crowded.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin