Author Topic: Looking at boards tomorrow  (Read 5036 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking at boards tomorrow
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
First let me say hello what a wonderfull site, tomorrow I will be heading to some local shops down here in the OC (Dana point area) and I really am at a loss for what the heck I should even be looking at. I come from a pretty strong surfing back ground say mid teens to about 35 yrs old. I have not been on a surfboard in about seven years or so (43 now) and came across this new and exciting sport which has really gotten me excited about getting wet again. As a beginner what should I be looking at for my first board? I am pretty fit and would love to paddle both flat water for excercise as well as jumping on some fun little waves. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at boards tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
I'd say take the time to drive down to Mission Beach and see Bob (Mission Beach Surf shop). Great selection of SUP equipment including rentals and he knows what he's doing. Super nice guy. He'll set you up right. You can go down to the flatwater a half mile away and get your sea legs, and then surf too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:36:46 AM »
you might want to rent/borrow/try a larger board to start with
(11-12ft) before stepping down to a smaller board

if you have the money and space for a quiver then i would suggest
getting a larger all rounder to start with which you then keep for flat days
and friends and family and then get a smaller board once
you know your style - trend is for 9ft shortboard style rippers but there
are also some nice noseriders

there are second hand bargains around - especially for the larger boards
as people trade up to these new designs

aloha  8)

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:10:18 AM »
If you're in the Dana Point area your first stop should be Steve Boehne's Infinity Surf Shop. Steve is a top notch guy, extremely knowledgeable about all forms of surf craft, and a builder of durable and progressively shaped SUPs. He's an excellent resource at the very least and carries a full line of SUP boards, equipment and accessories.

Tell him Gary from Santa Cruz with the custom yellow blade, carbon fiber ottertail paddle says "Hi". I'm pretty sure he won't throw you out if you do! ;)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
Hi South County,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I second the advice above about renting a huge board for a few days to get started.  No need to beat yourself up while you learn the very basics.  Then, see if you can demo some of the boards that you are considering.  You are starting at a great time in the sport, when a lot of well developed gear is now available. 

If you give your weight and height, I am sure you will get some good suggestions here on boards that you might want to try.

Thanks for joining us.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 06:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the advise, Infinity will be my first stop, also have been reading some good stuff on Bobs in SD As far as me I am 5'11 190 ish  ;D and I do take care of myself, run and weight train. The all around boards mentioned sound like a great starting point as well as with renting in the begining, again thanks for the help.

SD Ryan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »
Another great shop in San Diego- http://www.sandiegopaddleboarding.com

They are located literally on Mission Bay with demo SUPs on the docks.  You can go directly from the store to the water and demo a variety of boards in flat water.  Many people, including me, believe that's the best way to get started and to see what feels the best for you to paddle around before you try the surf...

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »
In Dana Point Infinity will be your best resource and then Bob's Mission down south.  Personally I think if you want Allaround performance with Surfability I would consider the 10 foot Kuku Ho board.  It will surf awesome it has lots of volume to float you while paddling and unless your looking to go a distance or race the 10' length wont be an issue, however it will be way better in the waves.  Have fun choosing though there are lots of great options.  Dont ask me what paddle to get though--- leave that up to Steve and/or George:) My recommendation is quite obvious.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
If I could start from scratch (which maybe I should do anyway   ::) . . .) here is what I would change and would not:

1) I would get an adjustable paddle to start off with and change it a lot until I knew what the best length is.  It may be just me but cutting a $300+ paddle too short just makes me freeze up.  While it might leak a little this should not be an issue when you are starting out and, when you buy your carbon contest paddle, you will have one you can lend to any friend!

2) I would still borrow/buy an old Munoz 12 foot and get into the flat water first; it will be tippy, frustrating, and will make everything after it seem great.  I just put a similar board back into the quiver so I can re-start my evening Ala Moana runs; paddling a narrow board makes your wider ones feel real good!

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
In Dana Point Infinity will be your best resource and then Bob's Mission down south.  Personally I think if you want Allaround performance with Surfability I would consider the 10 foot Kuku Ho board.  It will surf awesome it has lots of volume to float you while paddling and unless your looking to go a distance or race the 10' length wont be an issue, however it will be way better in the waves.  Have fun choosing though there are lots of great options.  Dont ask me what paddle to get though--- leave that up to Steve and/or George:) My recommendation is quite obvious.

Yep went to Infinity and looked at the KuKu Hoe 10 ft seems a little small for a newbie but you never know. I would like to head down to Bobs just to look at all the different brands, but I think the best thing would be to rent for about 3 or 5 times before spending that kind of money on one, man 1,500.00 and around 200.00 or so for a paddle is a bit high imo, but you really cant put a price on fun ;D Thanks for the replys.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:22:49 PM by SouthCounty »

Gossimer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 03:54:14 AM »
you should consider these for both price and convenience....

huge sale right now...

http://www.uliboards.com/standup.php

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
Hey there, South County, I sent you a PM but not sure if you saw. I have a 10' Surftech Infinity Ku Ku Hoe that I am about to list on Craigslist. It will easily float someone 190 lbs! The 4 7/8" thickness will see to that, and the pulled in tail block will keep it easily turnable.  The board is the olive green version, and it is in excellent shape.  Sorry to post commerce items here!  I am asking $850, with no dings, the board is like new and cooler looking than any other molded board!

I work on Mission Bay, and you can try it in the bay if you wish to test how well it floats you. Steve Boehne will also demo it at his shop for like $50....

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
Hey there, South County, I sent you a PM but not sure if you saw. I have a 10' Surftech Infinity Ku Ku Hoe that I am about to list on Craigslist. It will easily float someone 190 lbs! The 4 7/8" thickness will see to that, and the pulled in tail block will keep it easily turnable.  The board is the olive green version, and it is in excellent shape.  Sorry to post commerce items here!  I am asking $850, with no dings, the board is like new and cooler looking than any other molded board!

I work on Mission Bay, and you can try it in the bay if you wish to test how well it floats you. Steve Boehne will also demo it at his shop for like $50....

Yeah just got you email, thanks. I am just at the begening stages right now and still trying to save for a board, was trying to pull the trigger by March, your board sounds like a fair price. I am going to go down an demo a few different sizes, to make sure. thanks again.

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:40:29 AM »
No problem, South County.  I hope you find a good one, and I know that it takes a while looking around, and trying to demo as many as you can.  I put that Infinity on Craigslist yesterday and it sold immediatly, so I'm on to my next! 

Hello, Bob?  I need you to order something.

awe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »
Kaweeka,
I have to agree with you, But not every one will want to put themselves thru that stage of starting off with a narrower board. Would make them discouraged. As for me I did the same as you but on a 11'6" soft top long board. Every thing after that board was a breeze. You go to Ala moana in the evenings? I go ealy morning.   
                    ALOHA :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]