Author Topic: Looking at an OC1  (Read 11713 times)

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Looking at an OC1
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:22:31 AM »
So I know its not a surfski, however I know that a number of folks on this forum probably cross over and I could use some help quick. I SUP as well as surfski and love both. Therefore I would really like to round out the trifecta by getting an OC1 to complete my obsession :)

I have been looking at new boats and around me I can get a Hurricane for about $3700 and Antares for about $4400. The Antares is definitely out of my price range. I forgot to mention that I live in central PA, so 95% of the time, I'll be paddling lakes and rivers. On a good windy day, I might see 2-3 ft rolling swells, but most of the time its FLAT.

That being said, I came across a fella near me that has a used Kai Wa'a Scorpius for sale. Not sure of year, but it looks to be in great shape minus one repair that was done under the seat. He's asking $2400 for the boat with the covers. I would you folks mind lending me your advice? I attached a few pics so you can see for yourself.

Tried to get a zoomed in version of the repair. Its on the right hand side, back portion of the seat area.

As far as stats go, I'm 6'ft 190lbs.  I was concerned that the boat might be too much volume for my weight.  Oh and I will take whatever boat I have to the beach, but it might only be a handful of days during the summer (OC Maryland or Jersey shore).  So like I said 95% flat and the remaining 5% isn't big island surf or anything.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:29:37 AM by Kwolfe »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Looking at an OC1
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »
Kw..  I bought a used Hurricane; I liked the idea of OC-1 ..I keep a couple of rowers.   I found the Hurricane fussy-light and not overly well engineered.  I also didn't like the occasional 'instant flip'.   I never took mine in shorebreak in MD; I'm sure it would have become a pile of carbon. Sold it.  I find 'standing' work a lot better for me.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
Good feedback on the Hurricane.  I guess that's one of the things that drew me to getting a used boat.  It is $1200 less.  Not to mention its the only used OC1 I can find for hundreds of miles.  Either they are in demand because of how scarce they are, or nobody wants one.  The funny part is, the dealers I have talked to say that they can't keep them in stock.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:34:16 AM »
If the Scorpius is near you, you need to try it on the water. 

The steering system is usually the problem with used boats.  The cables get sticky.  If you have an Epic ski, the Scorpius pedals should be as light to the touch.  Steering is how you keep the ama light. 

Sticky steering is heavy ama.  Heavy ama is no fun.  Responsive steering is light ama.  Light ama is fun. 

Don't rush this purchase.  Outriggers are super fun.  Try the Hurricane too.

Marketing and internet advice is all bullshit when it comes to boats. 

You need to get your butt in the seat - on the water.  These boats are very different, and it's all about comfort.  Just like skis.   
Support your local shaper

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:25:31 AM »
I totally hear you on the comfort thing.  Unfortunately around central PA, things like paddleboards, OC1 and surfskis are very scare so not too much to choose from.  When I bought my Epic V8 ski, it got it without testing it. 

I guess at the end of the day, I want to make sure that it won't be too much volume in the boat for my 190lbs,  will it be a dog in the flats and am I getting a decent price.  It seems to be in line with west coast prices where they have more supply.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
First and foremost, LPB's advice is wisdom and experience and is that best advice you can get.

The Scorpius is the fullest volume version of the Kai Wa'a boats. Before I bought my own OC1, I tried a friend's Scorpius for a few weeks. I'm only 155# so the boat had way too much volume for me. Too much volume is less of an issue when you're sliding down a wave than it is when you are on flat water having to paddle more boat around. That's an oversimplification but it has some basis in reality. I ended up with the Scorpius XM, which is still too much volume for me but not ridiculously so. But, the price was right and I've been happily paddling the boat for a few years now. It surfs incredibly well and I spend my flat water days trying to improve my novice technique. Kai's website used to have a breakdown of each model and the recommended paddler weight ranges. I can't speak for the Ozone Factory boats, but the build quality on my Maui-built Kai is outstanding. That said, repairs need to be done correctly to ensure the boat's integrity. A seemingly minor, small soft spot can end up being a cracked boat. If you don't know what you're looking at as far as a repair goes, take someone with you that does, if at all possible.

The Hurricane seems to be known as more of a lower-volume, flat water boat. On the older model, a complaint I've heard is that the rudder is pretty far back, meaning it comes out of the water easily when you're in the waves. I lose my rudder sometimes on big drops in my Scorpius XM, but you learn to lean back and to adjust your other inputs accordingly.

It's tough to be in an area with few boats to choose from. It's a pretty big purchase that you'll live with for a long time, if you make the right one. So, it might be worth seeing if it's worth a trip out of your immediate area to score a boat (if that's even a possibility). Hope you'll post what you end up doing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
At 190 you're in the bottom of the weight range for the Scorpius. You'd be better off with an XM, but for the price difference...  It should be OK. I'd be a little worried about the repair given that it's fugly and in a high stress area. Doesn't look like it extends into the rail, so that's hopeful. I wonder how that happened.

The rest of the questions are well covered by LPB. You can certainly restring the rudder but that doesn't always solve the stickiness issues. the rudder posts get bent and straightened, the rudder hole elongates, the string tubes get gooked up. All repairable by someone who knows what they're doing, but not simple.

You need to paddle the boat and see how it feels to you. You're at the beginner end, so a lot of things you might ultimately be concerned about will not be fully apparent.

I've been told the Ozone boats are well made. I certainly know the Maui boats are works of art. Kai is a wizard. I suspect that once you get good at managing an OC1 you'll be forming acquaintances and get the opportunity to try other boats. You might find something you like much better, or you could be thrilled with your choice. A lot of people move from other boats to various flavors of Scorpius. I haven't seen many people go the other way. That doesn't mean much since I'm not really part of that community, while I have a scorpius I'm not really much of an OC paddler. Too hooked on SUP and too fat in the middle. Lately I've been doing millions of crunches to deal with that. We'll see how that goes. But $2400 is a good price for a boat that looks that good. I've seen some sad stuff go for the same price here on Maui. That boat looks like mine--same color scheme more or less, same basic condition. I think I paid about $4200 for it (new) and waited four months to get it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:43:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
Two things:  there isn't that much price difference in the used/new OCs you are speaking of, especially for years of use.  Paying a little more for the right canoe will be a smarter purchase in the long run.  Also, you might want to do a little road trip to demo or even buy your OC1.  Or just get one shipped, like a Huki. 

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
I love to surfski too (just made the jump to a Huki S1-x), and have always wanted to try OC-1.

Funny story:

My neighbor and I have been prone surfing together for years. When I took up SUP last year he was appalled, and still hates the idea of it, even as he sees me having ridiculous amounts of fun on the things. Like a lot of people at my break he just won't try it, even for a second. So goofy.

We also paddle boats together on small days, me on my ski and he on his OC-1. The ski surfs a bit better so he bought one. But he just sold it since he couldn't get past that early learning curve, which is really steep with skis. When I asked him why he said he missed the feeling of paddling on one side with the OC-1, how you paddle from the core and you get all that glide. I said hmm, that kind of reminds me of something... Oh right, SUPing!

But alas, he still won't try it...

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
We also paddle boats together on small days, me on my ski and he on his OC-1. The ski surfs a bit better so he bought one. But he just sold it since he couldn't get past that early learning curve, which is really steep with skis. When I asked him why he said he missed the feeling of paddling on one side with the OC-1, how you paddle from the core and you get all that glide. I said hmm, that kind of reminds me of something... Oh right, SUPing!

But alas, he still won't try it...
That sort of brings up a certain irony.  You rarely if ever here surfers complain about OC1s or surfskis.  Perhaps it’s because by and large they are not used in a surf break other than launching to head out and come back in, so no tension between them and surfers.  I remember my friends and I sort of making fun of surfskis as being rather yuppie(ish) but never any real animosity.  And now I actually want to give both a try.   

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
That sort of brings up a certain irony.  You rarely if ever here surfers complain about OC1s or surfskis.  Perhaps it’s because by and large they are not used in a surf break other than launching to head out and come back in, so no tension between them and surfers.

I think I'd agree with that. Most of them have no idea what it is, since both are very rare here in northern california. When they see me riding a wave for 100 yards though they get curious...

I remember my friends and I sort of making fun of surfskis as being rather yuppie(ish) but never any real animosity.  And now I actually want to give both a try.   

Ha, I've never thought of it as being yuppie. All the people I know who paddle them are hardcore oceany types. Every now and again I'll get a little attitude from a surfer but its always someone I've never seen at the break before and usually a total beginner. I think beginner surfers (less than 3 years) are the biggest surf snobs in the water. Once people get advanced they're usually only concerned with whether you're a kook or not. However, SUP is often an exception to that rule, and people's hatred for SUP often extends even to people who know what they'd doing. Oh well. I chalk that up to us having more fun than them. And fashion.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 08:48:17 PM »
Ha, I've never thought of it as being yuppie. All the people I know who paddle them are hardcore oceany types. Every now and again I'll get a little attitude from a surfer but its always someone I've never seen at the break before and usually a total beginner. I think beginner surfers (less than 3 years) are the biggest surf snobs in the water. Once people get advanced they're usually only concerned with whether you're a kook or not. However, SUP is often an exception to that rule, and people's hatred for SUP often extends even to people who know what they'd doing. Oh well. I chalk that up to us having more fun than them. And fashion.

Well keep in mind I was referring to the minds of guys who were young and dumb and full of themselves.  At the time time I thought of surfskiers (what few of them were around) as guys who really took themselves too seriously and seemed pretty start laced compared to the more bohemian vibe of surf culture. I think the bigger animosity towards SUP is that many surfers simply can't wrap their heads around the idea of using a paddle to surf with.  That and the fact that there really are some paddlers who have no pre SUP surfing experience. 

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »
Just to be clear, I didn't mean this as put down to surfskis.  In fact I posted a thread in the downwind section asking about OC1s Vs. skis because I am very interested in trying both. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:55:56 PM by surf4food »

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 09:19:07 PM »
> that there really are some paddlers who have no pre SUP surfing experience.

Agreed, I think that's the biggest issue. I wonder if attitudes will change as more and more longterm surfers pick up the paddle.

> Just to be clear, I didn't mean this as put down to surfskis.

That was clear to me. I hope I didn't come off as defensive.

And yes try surfski! Try to find a beginner friendly one at first. Don't bother spending much money on a beginner boat though since, as with SUP, anything that's good for a beginner will be useless once you make some progress.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 03:20:57 AM »
That was clear to me. I hope I didn't come off as defensive.

Nope. Not at all.

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]