Author Topic: Return to the fold  (Read 4507 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Return to the fold
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
After an 88 day injury timeout, the joy of being wet again with a paddle in my hands.  Picked a clean day and a longboard to make the reentry easier.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Return to the fold
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
Congratulations, Jay.  Any residual effects from your broken eardrum?

The last couple of months with all of the rain and storm surges with beach hazard, I haven't been going out but about once a week, sometimes less.  SUP gets under your skin and my mood suffered, which surprised me.  I have been out again three times this weekend, and I feel "normal" again.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
Thanks a lot Carl, we sure like the "normal".  Ear seems ok, plugging it for insurance.  See ya in May I hope.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
Hey, sounds good.  Maybe El Nino will still be kicking it up this year instead of the standard spring slowdown.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
surfinJ, Great to hear you are back at it! Hope you have a safe and FUN return.. ;D  ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:01:27 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
That looked a great return to me !!! Welcome back !
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks guys, feels good to share the stoke.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 09:40:41 AM »
Nice....amazing how much just getting wet can affect our mood.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
Wish there was something for my ringing ears.  I'd wait out of water for a long time if it would fix them but Kaiser says I'm screwed.  Glad that you're back and eardrum is healed.  Conner's sister used to do backflips off cliffs but those days are done for her now after a blown eardrum.  Hearing isn't over-rated and I hate being that guy who always says What?  Most of the time I nod, smile and pretend to hear.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
I also have very bad tinnitus (ringing) and cannot understand conversations. Hearing tests show a big drop-out in my hearing response in the higher end of the voice range, which happens to be where most women speak, so I need to get my ear close to soft spoken women, which can be a little off-putting. Dinner table conversation with friends and lots of background noise I cannot understand anyone, man or woman. Very aggravating.

Sometimes people say something to me in the line-up and I have no idea if they are saying "nice wave brah" or are saying "what an asshole, brah". I always assume the better one. :)
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »
Thanks for the words.
Sometimes people say something to me in the line-up and I have no idea if they are saying "nice wave brah" or are saying "what an asshole, brah". I always assume the better one. :)
What?  Most of the time I nod, smile and pretend to hear.

:D :D :D  My French isn't perfect so I'm never sure if I didn't hear it, or maybe just didn't understand.  I've perfected the smile head nod. My wife hates it and if she catches me announces "he didn't understand" :-[ >:(, nice girl.

Seriously, though not logical, my first fear in December was not being able to keep surfing. The possible loss of livelihood due to hearing loss and subsequent liscence loss was seemed less worrying.

My buddy in the same profession deals with bad tinnitus. Jet lag, caffeine and alcohol seem to trigger the worse events.  Seems putting your body under stress can increase the magnitude. At it's worst, a heavy affliction. I've got a touch that only became apparent in the sound proof booths where I get my tests done.  Sitting there already hearing my own peeps and pings, I've got to concentrate real hard to identify the computer generated ones.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:59:26 PM »
The swell for this session was 3' and 15 sec. In the vid you see how the 3 foot, long period swell peaks to an overhead wave on the sand bar.  This past summer I had a special day there with a 6' 19sec swell, out all alone. About double overhead at the peak. Got 2 waves, then had to swim after my camera.  Got hit by a set, had a two wave hold down - forgot to bring the Gooru- and washed up on the beach.
Found out camera had missed it all.

Here below you see the peak where I surfed, off to the left. And a peak on the right, now gone after the winter swells. It has 10 shortboarders on it, hard to see, riding a 8-10' reform tube on the inside.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »
You were benched 88 days?! That's a LONG friggin' time. Most for me was like 3 weeks. You're sure surfing well for such a long time out. Looked glorious! I had to check ur profile to see where ur at, J. Always pleased when a member fills in location. France is def bucket list for me! Nice vid you put togeth. Beautiful conditions and I love "Riptide"!

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:08:58 PM »
Tinnitus sucks, single side deafness too. Hurting my one good ear is a big fear of mine. I had a brass band on my left side after radiation, a mix of higher tones that warbled accompanied by short start and stop lower ones. Big improvement after surgery. After they scooped out all the goodies all that's left is a high pitch whine. It's background/white noise unless I think about it but it exacerbates being half deaf. Obviously whatever the sound is it's completely generated in the brain, at least for me. I have no auditory nerve on my left side or any hearing organs for that matter.. I wish I could get Sirius/XM instead of this.

My wife is always telling people "he didn't understand" and they aren't even speaking french........ ;)

Surfing France has been on my list too. One of my favorite all time SUP vids, and I think the picture is from the same day....zoom in to right of center to see the lone SUPper

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:19:24 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
Last Sunday, I love that vid, just watched it again. Guéthary or Getaria in Basque which is what they are singing in.  It is a port village where the fisherman went out in row boats after the small bay of bisqay whale.

This wave is the queen of the coast. My favorite place to surf.  Easy long waves with a big channel to paddle back out in. But more and more inaccessible due crowds and vibes.  I mostly due dawn patrols and at the end of the day.  It's where I told you the story of the young blood pulling me out of the water.  Next time I'll see if I dare to film. 

And thanks for your words of support surfercook, but waves that perfect make it easy to surf better. My balance surprised me too. I think performance stress because of the other surfers in the line up. 2 days later in smaller surf with my daughter I was flopping down all over the place. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin