Author Topic: Can a Sunova Speeed work as a big/rough conditions (ie SF Ocean Beach) board?  (Read 3769 times)

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Greetings Sunovians!..;)

Decisions, Decisions..;)

I'm trying to hone in on a 3 board quiver, I already have a fish and and a longboard I'm stoked on, but I'm having trouble finding the 3rd board which will be my board for bigger/rougher conditions, I live not far from Ocean Beach SF, HEAVY beach break, notorious for it's BRUTAL paddle outs.  I've tried a few pulled in shapes from different shapers/companies and different sizes, all great boards, but I realized that what I'm looking for is a is a board that will paddle big and surf small, When I tried doing that with a traditional performance shape (pulled in nose) I had to go up in size from what I'm used to surf and ended with a board that (sort of) paddled well over the white water, but felt too big, heavy and slow on the face.

I'm thinking the speeed might be the ticket with the parallel outline 'scooped nose and pulled in tail.
Its also my only chance (I think/hope!..;) to get a board I can still surf this winter. If not, I'm just gonna make do with what I have and order a Jeff Clark custom in the fall.

Would love to hear anyone's take, also are there any Speeed owner or a shop in Norcal I could meet up with and Demo/water swap for a quick paddle and a wave (or 2..;) I'm 40, 5'10 180 solid intermediate, I have decent balance, shape and skills, but the reality is that I can only get out once a week if I'm lucky, so I'm thinking the 8'10 would be a good fit.

thanks in advance for your time, any input will be much (much!..;) appreciated!

Alon

supthecreek

Hi Alon

I was glad when I saw you were thinking 8'10 at your size and weight, because I think it is narrow enough to give you the performance you want, and still provide the stability for the conditions.
My Buddy is 175 lb, 6'0 and loves his 8'10 all year

The 8'10 is my summer/fall board at 220 lbs + 3/2, and it is fine for my 67 years.
I would be very happy on a 9'2 in winter gear, but I have a 9'5, and it is super solid in big nasty winter conditions.
I am amazed how well it surfs for such a big, stable board.
I'd say you should be as comfortable on the 8'10 as I am on the 9'5 in winter gear.

Performance..... the Speeed has never let me down in any condition, and both have survived a lot of OH, thick lipped days without a mark.
Having said that.... OB will snap ANYTHING if you let the lip hit your board.... so, as you know, controlling impacts is a reality at a break like that.

I sniff around to see if I can locate a Speeed in your area.

I'll put some videos up later today, that might help you.
You might try to Search "Jacy Shimahara" on Facebook... he has a few short Speeed vids in OH Hawaiian surf... but they are just FB vids, I can't find them on YouTube.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Hi Alon,

I'm just a little smaller than you,  same age,  and more of a shaky intermediate.  :-)

I bought an 8'10 Speeed this fall and got it just after it became full cold gear season.  I find the board a bit tricky to paddle out through rough beach break,  but mainly because I'm not on it consistently enough to really master a quick hop up and balance between oncoming waves of whitewater.  I think if I got out at least once a week,  I'd get more conformable on it,  and if you're already comfortable balancing on a board that size in a fairly narrow semi surf stance,  this board will handle beach break as well as anything else its size. 

Once outside,  it's a blast to surf and effortlessly does things on a wave that I couldn't pull off on  any other boards I've surfed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I have an 8'10" Speeed available for demo in Santa Cruz if you can make it down here. It does pop over whitewater really well and catches waves pretty easily. I've ridden it in DOH + and it surfed good, no bad habits.

-Jonah

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone so much for your replies and helpful feedback/intel!

Creek, you confirmed what I was thinking that the 8'10 should feel solid for me the way the 9'5 feels for you.

Jonah,  I'd contacting you soon, about trying your 8'10, thanks so much for extending the offer! there's nothing like like being able to try before you buy, makes a world of difference.
I have a feeling I'd be calling JK the east coast soon... exiting stuff! :D 

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone so much for your replies and helpful feedback/intel!

Creek, you confirmed what I was thinking that the 8'10 should feel solid for me the way the 9'5 feels for you.

Jonah,  I'd contacting you soon, about trying your 8'10, thanks so much for extending the offer! there's nothing like like being able to try before you buy, makes a world of difference.
I have a feeling I'd be calling JK the east coast soon... exiting stuff! :D
Ok let me know I will be out of town for a couple of weeks in February

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM