Author Topic: Agate Beach, Oregon  (Read 7661 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Agate Beach, Oregon
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:02:09 PM »
I have an offer to rent a condo here for a good price. Knowing NOTHING about Oregon I am assuming it gets BIG and dangerous. Also there are grey biggies? Can't imagine being there in winter. But stranger things have happened.
Starfish Point Condos- http://www.starfishpoint.com/index.php
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Agate Beach, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
That's right in Newport OR, one of my most favorite places by the sea. GREAT seafood, crab, salmon, halibut etc. I don't know when you're going but from now until next May or so, the weather is pretty horrendous, although even in mid winter, you can have unbelievable spells of warm, sunny weather.

As for big and dangerous, Agate can get bigger and still hold surf, I don't know what the limit is before it maxes but I think it may hold DOH or even a bit more. Problem is that OR gets storms that are often very close by, resulting in messy, short period surf. You can't even get out much of the time. Some people will surf in the Yaquina River mouth, when the surf is pumping, right under the Yaquina Bay Bridge, just in from the ocean. A couple other spots are South Jetty, on the south side of the river mouth and Otter Rock, a couple miles north of Agate. If you are lucky enough, you could get a clean, long-period swell but in years of surfing the OR coast, or attempting to surf it, I got a decent swell maybe never in Winter and one trip in 5 other times of the year.
There are big Whites off the Oregon coast but to me the greater danger is the cold water. It saps your strength and in Winter, you'll be battling water in the high 40's and air that might even be colder than that. Again, if you hit it right in Winter, it could be as warm as the low 70's. I've been there in January when it's been like that for 5 days in a row but don't expect water that's warmer than the low 50's.

From Newport, you're not far from Lincoln City which also has some potentially good surfing. Nelscott Reef is off shore near there. Further north is Pacific City, again a better Summer spot, then Seaside, with the famous Seaside right, which is guarded by the locals. There is also the Cove at Seaside, and both are protected in Winter from the S winds by Tillamook Head. SUP Surfing is not welcomed at the Cove from what I hear but that can be an awesome place to longboard surf. It's probably a good hour and 45 min north of Newport.

I'm no local at Newport, just spent a lot of time there over the years and always tried to surf. Winter usually was a bust, winds are from the south often during winter and the headlands above Agate and Otter are both located on the north sides of the beaches, providing a huge windbreak in summer, during the prevailing N and NW winds but not in Winter. I think the surf shop across the highway (101) from Agate is Ossie's and they do rentals of wetsuits and all the other gear you'll want. There's another shop on the west side of 101, right in Newport and it's more high end. There are some core guys at the OR coast that are fully committed. Not sure how much SUP has worked in there since we've been away quite a while.

The OR coast is spectacular and has an authentic feel, especially Newport with it's working fishing fleet. No matter what it's doing, it is an interesting an stunningly beautiful place to be. Even living in HI, my wife and I both have a very special love for it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:34:28 PM by covesurfer »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
WOW! Thanx, Cove. You're dialed! That's a Copy/Paste report for the hard drive for sure! As far as the cold goes, "I ain't afraid 'o no cold"! Here in NJ we get in the surf when it's 38F water and single digit air temps w/a wind chill. But this is pretty common knowledge to any East Coast surfer.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:42:40 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:10:15 PM »
Agate is a good windsurfing spot...I have several college bros that live there and in the immediate area...
It never gets Jersey cold...but, occasionally you do get snow on the sand...

Funny story...met King Laird there back in the day when he was learning to kite...he was taking up half of the parking places with his rented limousine...my buddy Big Steve (RIP) told him to move it...

Here's a surf sesh from a quarter of a century ago with Big Steve...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:00:16 PM »
Thanx SS. Cool vid! Wardog was RIPPING! Ad that last pic in ur reply is sooo beautiful!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
SUP is more or less tolerated everywhere now. Even the Cove in seaside. I haven't tried to SUP surf the Point. If I did I'd park a long way away and just show up at the break.

The biggest problem with the winter waves is the multiple swell. Long period stuff from the NW and short period wind swell from the SW. In between storms it can get pretty good, but it really demands local knowledge to pick the spots that are going to work, or just really good luck. I've had great sessions at Agate beach in the summer, and I think the first time I surfed with Mr. Covesurfer was at Agate, playing around in knee-high slop before the Oregon Open Ocean race.

Don't worry about the fishies, they've got lots of seals and shortboarders to eat. With a little luck and some searching you'd probably find something decent, or just watch the storms--pretty amazing sometimes. Nothing like a snug coast cabin with a wicked storm outside.

I usually stay at the Agate Beach Motel when I'm there, it's an easy walk down to the beach right next to Yaquina head. While the head is indeed on the north side, it will still creates a calmer area next to it when the wind is from the south. Worth looking at. Starfish is walking distance, even with a board and paddle.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:21:32 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:04:34 AM »
Make sure you eat here at least once: http://localocean.net/

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 02:07:15 AM »
Local Ocean is good. Also try South Beach Fish Market - best halibut fish and chips ever.  They have cod too but I'd go for the halibut. Outrageous fresh crab, cooked in seawater while you wait.  Smoked salmon candy, da kine.
http://www.southbeachfishmarket.com/

What, you say you want some clam chowdah? Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach. Nothing better on a damp, cold coast day, especially post surfing.http://www.newportchowderbowl.com/

Lastly, and I think it is the best hippie bakery anywhere in the universe, you hit Panini in Nye Beach for unbelievably good bakery treats and hearty pizza (232 NW Coast St.) Awesome breakfast stop pre surf. https://www.facebook.com/PaniniBakeryNyeBeach?fref=ts
Man, I wish I could go there myself! Maybe next year....or more likely, in about 5 years.  :(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:09:54 AM by covesurfer »

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
Cook,
PM me with details on when you would be in OR. I have a trailer at Pacific City and surf there all the time. I have boards and paddles you could use.

-red

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
Cook,
I thought we were a hardy bunch up here in the pnw, but you guys are incredible in those brutal conditions. 
 What wetsuits do you where ?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Used to be a spectacular hippie "no fried" fish joint down at the beginning of the harbor. Killer food. Gone now, dammit.

Southbeach is the second best halibut fish and chips I've ever tasted. Best is in Astoria, can't think of the name. English guy runs it.

Great crab all around Newport. they bring in a lot of greenlip mussels too. that hippie joint had Penn Cove Mussels and chips to die for. I ate it three nights in a row one stay.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
I don't usually drink beer...but, when I did, it rarely got better than Rogue Brewing in Newport...great burger, too...located in the village...

http://www.rogue.com

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:17:42 PM »
Since we turned this into a food commentary, I have to say I've been dreaming of the burger I had at the Rider's club in San Clemente with TallDude.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
Its going to be good tomorrow! Double long period swells from both sw & wnw with offshore winds all day . The water is still really warm yet .  Here is oswalt west state park from saturday !

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »
Enjoy...pretty fun down here today as well...but, fall in the PNW is killer...

Turnin' it right back around to the Oregon Coast and grinds...;-)
Some of the best fish and chips...& clam chowder that I have had was at the Crazy Norwegian's in Port Orford...never had a bad meal there...really good sushi up in Newport as well...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52023-d618983-Reviews-The_Crazy_Norwegian_s_Fish_Chips-Port_Orford_Oregon.html

Langlois market has killer "world famous" hot dogs...located halfway between Bandon and Port Orford...

http://www.langloismarket.com/node/23

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?