Author Topic: Variability of ability  (Read 2573 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Variability of ability
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
I'm curious as to how many of you see wide swings in your abilities on the water. I blow the bell curve for sure but that's somewhat expected with my head. I'm wondering if its just me or does it happen to others. I've had some bizarre experiences lately of days that I felt terrible before hitting the water being great and days I felt fine being terrible. How variable is it for you? I'm wondering how much age may play a part as well.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Variability of ability
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »
I have days when my endurance is greater than on others. Also, feel that my balance varies. But there are so many environmental variables that I believe they normally dictate the ultimate outcome of most any given session.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »
First time back in the water after more than a week, took at least an hour to start feeling "normal" on my board.  I mean, I was kooking it up out there.  But, I might be on to something, I noticed they were giving me lots of room in the lineup.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »
Everyday is different. Some days I can surf for hours and stay dry. Next day I'm off the board at launch. Same with distance paddling, some days I'm doing the hula with just the slightest bump and others I'm rock solid in nasty conditions. I've asked the same question of others and it's the same answer, there are good days and bad so I think it's a pretty common condition.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »
I can usually paddle into the wind during distance paddles for quite awhile without tiring, but a few weeks ago I bonked after about 15-20 minutes, and I was hydrated with a good breakfast. Couldn't make any headway, could barely balance on my board, and I was out of breath. Had to angle in to shore and get my bearings. Headed back out after about 10 minutes and did a bit better, but not much. Just one of those days, or one of those things that happens, and it probably happens more often the older we get.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
I have been on a slow learning curve for the last couple of years.  I think it is normal in any athletic endeavor to have plateaus, setbacks, and days that seem transcendent.  Hopefully, the current transcendence will become the new plateau, and the setbacks the old plateau etc. etc.  I guess pursuing is the only way to find out how far the transcendence will take you (or not).

A week ago Sunday, it seemed I was on my feet most of the time on the Prowave and feeling pretty good about moving on in balance progress.  Last Thursday, I got sick, but still went out Sat. and Sun.  Sunday was choppy, I had no strength or balance, and didn't even try to stand up. 

The virus isn't too bad, but I have felt really weak and tired from it with sore throat and aching neck glands.  I'll go back out tomorrow and see how it goes.  If anything, it is a reminder that progress always comes with setbacks.

No, I can never tell how a session is going to go for better or worse.  However, that is part of the charm and mystery.  I try not to place demands and just be happy I am out there to appreciate what beauty there is.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
Axe,  Hell, those first steps in the morning can be a challenge ..I need a decent heart rate and BP to not look drunk.   Some are cursed with high blood pressure; I'm the guy in ROTC who got new front teeth because I cannot stand motionless for any length of time.

On a board, one sure way for me to fall is drinking too much tea and pee'n my fluid level below minimums. I feel both tweaked and sluggish at the same time.  ...'have learned to drink a lot of plain water before any go-out.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards