Author Topic: Has anyone else experienced an increase in SUP hate?  (Read 8710 times)

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone else experienced an increase in SUP hate?
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
The last month has been a nightmare for me out in the line-up. I have three yelling matches at Lost Winds (San Clemente), one near fight in Baja (Los Gaviotas), and 1 screaming match at 204's (San Clemente). For at least a year, I have been very mindful of allowing proners waves, waiting my turn, and letting good sets pass by. It almost seems like the more respectful I get, the worse its getting? My typical response is "Hey, I'm not leaving. But i'm not gonna be a dick, either, so don't snake me and I won't snake you." That usually works, except the time in Baja where he kept getting closer and splashing my face while I was sitting.

Has anyone else seen this increase in SUP hate??
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has anyone else experienced an increase in SUP hate?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
This is a big part of why I don't take SUPs out to the surf lineup.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »
sups  have as much right in the surf line up as anyone. if you aren't taking the  sup out to the line up it s on you for what ever reason.   I have not experienced as much sup hate as  the op but last year I had  my month of sup encounters.   Here is my solution. 
 when I paddle out I sit quietly and wait for a nice set wave   I usually  let he first 203 waves depending on the set got through   everyone else fights for  them and gets washed inside.  I then take off at a critical peak  make the drop crank the wave  stare down any paddlers looking to  drop in or paddle in front of me.  basically establish my chops.   form then on it is usually ok   I still am  respectful  and  let sets go but when I commit  it is all good. 
 sometime though  there are a few that insist in paddling underneath jamming a turn  around   then I  back off.   those guys are ashholes  simply put.   and unfortunately  they are there and you have to deal with them
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
No, not an increase....except maybe from myself, at the increase of baffoons that it seems are showing up in the lineup (if you can even call it that with many SUSers nowadays) more and more....who apparently think that since they're here now, that all the waves belong to them, because tomorrow they won't be here, so they need to catch as many as they can for the day or two they've managed to make it down.

TallDude expresses it perfectly in his signature...."No No please.... this wave is yours.... by all means.. I understand you don't have a lot of time.... Hey we're all friends here.... I guess it's now a party wave..

Just this week with all the folks in from all over for the Pacific Paddle Games in Doho this weekend, I can't tell you how many times I heard this in casual conversation on the beach, "We don't usually get waves like this we're I'm from, so it's nice being able to get as many as I can while we're here".....paraphrasing mind you, and not word for word, but close enough, and that kind of mind set is quite troublesome IMO.

This just happened to be a coincidence that the Games were in town when a decent swell showed up, but on a regular basis, as soon as the evening news broadcasts "a large swell coming to SoCal", we get every Tom, Dick, and Harry who thinks he's a "surfer" show up with their Costco board, or some giant overseas popout, knee paddling out thinking they're going to ride the big wave to brag to their buddies around the water cooler the next day at work.

I know that sounds selfish, and my wife always reprimands me that I should be more welcoming, and "share" what a great place we happen to live in.  Which I would be more than happy to do, "share" the place...IF I could only get these weekend warriors, or noob "swell chasers" to do the same....share!! 

Don't paddle for every friggin' wave you see on the horizon...don't paddle for a wave I let you have, miss it, and then immediately paddle for the next wave I'm now paddling for....don't paddle for a wave, ride it, paddle back out, and then turn for the very next wave coming through that you think you can make....when I'm already surfing a wave, don't attempt to drop in 100 feet in front of me thinking you have room, as I will catch you, and be on top of you much faster than you think....if I'm well away from you because I know the area, and turning for the wave I've been waiting a while for, please don't try to make a mad paddle over in an attempt to get on this wave, simply because it's the biggest wave you've seen all day, and I just happen to know where it's gonna be, because more than likely, you're going to screw both of us up, and neither of us are going make it.

Sup44, when I say "you" in the above, I'm not speaking to you personally, but rather those who might be new to the sport, and coming here to pick up some pointers as to how they might not want to act out in the water, and/or how they're actually perceived by others out there who surf in all conditions, and not just cherry-picking the good days, like they are as the "couple-time-a-yearers" thinking they're some sort of "Endless Summer" surf chasers.

So do I feel and "increase in SUP hate" from the proners?  No, surf with them kind of regularly depending on conditions, and if anything, feel as though we're getting a little more accepted/tolerated in and around them.   Do I feel an "increase in SUP hate" for some of the "swell chasing", "knee paddling", "haven't a clue out there" SUPers?  Yeah, I think that about covers it. 

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »
Pretty much the opposite for me.  Seems like there is more and more acceptance in Newport.

Riding a really small board seems to help.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
You may have just experienced a "statistical cluster" of SUP hate.  You may be pre-disastered for a long time, now.  Go enjoy yourself.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
The Old saying
Bad things happen in Threes...

Move on...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
Hey if your following the rules and not being greedy and staying out of people's way u have every right to be there! I don't back down to anyone anymore. Get a go pro on your paddle tape the incedent.

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Hey, your problem at Las Gaviotas was it with an American? Just curious, my lifeguard buddies here are going to show me which buses accept surfboards as soon as I'm well. My only friends here are Mexican surfer/Lifeguards. Hope that helps showing up with that crew. Still no car and this beachbreak closes out alot. Buses go to Calafia, K38, probably Las Gaviotas... I wouldn't fight mexican surfers here, just walk away if i could, but 'Murricans are gonna be a BIG stress relief valve if they start up... I've had a flu for 12 days. Maybe just stir crazy.
Feral
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:30:04 PM by FeralInBaja »
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
We just surf Dogpatch most days. Makes it easier. Getting into a confrontation and I'm done for the day so I'd rather just not deal with it. Solid 5 foot today with 3 people out. Hot, glassy, not a proner to be found.....
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
We just surf Dogpatch most days. Makes it easier. Getting into a confrontation and I'm done for the day so I'd rather just not deal with it. Solid 5 foot today with 3 people out. Hot, glassy, not a proner to be found.....

Whaaaat?  3 people out at DP on a Sunday with good waves?  That's difficult to believe.  Are you yanking our chains? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »
I find more and more often that no one follows any rules. I've been told in the past that i cut someone off or did 'something' wrong, and yet the same people that tell me this NEVER yield any waves to me. I think the rules in their head are for everyone but them. This comes from proners and SUPers. But  the SUPers typically do this: they paddle way out on their 10'+ boards, swing around, and believe every wave is theirs cuz they're the furthest out.  If I abide by their rules, I'd never get a wave. My rule is now this: go where there are few to none and enjoy it, even if the breaks are better elsewhere.     

oceansider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »
Nope no sup hate for me, Because where I surf I take my prone surfboard out first and catch a couple of waves then I switch boards and take my little sup out.  No one says a thing because my sup is smaller than my prone surfboard and a  few of the proners have even said to me that they wish they could do both when they see me rip it up at high tide on my tiny sup.  Peace out!!

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »

Whaaaat?  3 people out at DP on a Sunday with good waves?  That's difficult to believe.  Are you yanking our chains?
Yeah yanking your chain. There was really 2 people out when I first got there. Some of the best Dogpatch I've ever seen. Supsurf-chick and myself were absolutely gluttonous. Sitting at home now drinking a Primo and smiling about it.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 05:53:48 PM »
No one says a thing because my sup is smaller than my their prone surfboard and a  few of the proners have even said to me that they wish they could do both when they see me rip it up at high tide on my tiny sup.  Peace out!!
^^^Yep, this.^^^ 

Having a 7'8" SUP in the lineup certainly doesn't hurt things being out there.  In fact, even gets some compliments, and curious questions, and can be a nice conversations starter with the surfers....or at least an easy "get that big board outta here" nonsense defuser. :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin