Author Topic: Top Downwind Destinations as a Tourist  (Read 3470 times)

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Top Downwind Destinations as a Tourist
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
I have the advantage/disadvantage of travelling a fair bit, for the past number of years I tend to fly in and out as quickly as possible (my base is Cape Town, South Africa). Lately, with a bit more time, I want to start becoming more of a downwind tourist but have found it next to impossible to organise. The Gorge and Hawaii are high on my list, but require a bit more planning so I am hoping to find a couple of other locations around the world.

I have pretty much given up on Canary Islands/Fuerteventura which is a pity as it would seem to have good downwind conditions. I think trying to organise a worthwhile Downwind trip there made me realise how easy it is to downwind frequently in Cape Town which has shuttles, a 6 month epic season and easy board hire.

There has been this thread - Top 5 Downwinding places in the world ( http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25113.0.html) but I would appreciate feedback on destinations that have the following 3 conditions:
1) Consistent downwind season
2) shuttle type service, or a strong downwind community of regulars which effectively make shuttle service not needed
3) Easy board hire

I would travel to a location with less wind if I can organise lifts and boards ahead of an epic windy location  where there is no way of organising a downwinder.

So far, the list that would be as follows:
1) South Africa, Cape Town (Southern Hemisphere Summer)
2) Hawaii - Maliko run (Northern Hemisphere Summer)
3) Australia - Perth region, Melbourne region, other? (Southern Hemisphere Spring/Summer)
4) US - Hood river/The Gorge (Northern Hemisphere Summer))

Thats it - its surprisingly small.  Lake Garda, Tarifa, Canary Islands, Mauritius, Tahiti (and I am sure many other places) seem to have good conditions but do not seem to have the infrastructure.

I would be interested to hear of other options which would be a good downwind tourist location that fits this description
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Top Downwind Destinations as a Tourist
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 06:42:08 PM »
Interesting post and I'll be watching to see the results. The important distinction is as a tourist. Lots of downwind spots but the number that meet your criteria is pretty small I think. I'd love to get back to South Africa to surf and DW, was there for vacation many many moons ago but never got to Capetown.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:45:01 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:32:15 AM »
Two downwind centers with large zodiac which either drops you off or picks you up have opened this summer in South of France.  As far as I heard so far decent pricing per day. I mean to go soon.

Leucate. Very windy spot (Tramontagne), apparently  great swell for SUP DW. The boat carries up to 24 people, 12 boards. I believe boards available for rent. Not sure on that. Check.
   http://www.downwind-center.com/downwind-machine/

Almanarre / Porquerolles a similar outfit has started. Not sure the web site. Mistral blows there and the swell is big.

Both Tramontagne and Mistral are fairly regular (and very strong) however you can get periods without wind. They aren’t thermals or trade winds.

Canary Islands may take off soon. A friend has scoped out downwinding in the Canary Islands (in winter) for years and is setting up a couple of camps this winter. There was talk about him getting a bunch of boards. I’ll keep it posted here if it opens up. Meanwhile PM me if you go and want his contact details for some local info.

Yep about Tarifa. No-one is SUPing there [yet]. A bit in winter on the waves. Garda should take off one day. Keep an eye on north shore Brazil (Fortaleza up to Jeri). Someone is bound to get some boards there one day. Year round rocking conditions. Andrea Moller listed it as a top spot recently.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »
Wow Yugi, My bucket list continues to grow.  I get to pick and chose a few conferences per year.  Hopefully, the south of France will pop up at some point.

I'd add La Ventana, Mexico to the list.  I was there a couple years back.  Extremely fun open ocean-ish downwind run on the Sea of Cortez, consistent heavy winter winds, whale sharks, extremely chill town and shuttle service too.

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:40 AM »
Thanks Yugi,
Madly I have been to the Leucate area and plan to be there again. Just goes to show - I had no idea that there was downwinding there though the abundance of wind turbines in the area certainly should have been an indication.

I hope Canary islands take off as it is also a relatively easy area to get to. 
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
...I'd add La Ventana, Mexico to the list.  I was there a couple years back.  Extremely fun open ocean-ish downwind run on the Sea of Cortez, consistent heavy winter winds, whale sharks, extremely chill town and shuttle service too.

Just looked into La Ventana. Seems like a great place. I'm a bit concerned about the gear though - Ventana Windsports seems to be the main rental outfit there and they may only have 2 downwind boards - a Fanatic Falcon and a Naish Glide. I'll contact them to see what the current selection is like.

Any other options for gear rental and shuttle service there?

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
Here's their response on their SUP board fleet:
"Naish Glide 14, Fanatic Falcon 14, Starboard Coast Runner 14, Hobie Raw Race 12’6”

If you are staying with us that includes access to all SUP gear, shuttles are $10 per person we need a minimum of 3 riders or $20. we have a trailer that can hold 6 boards behind a Chevy Tahoe."

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 12:05:24 PM »
Never been to La Ventana, but it is starting to look pretty interesting

http://www.supthemag.com/find-the-glide/glide-of-the-week-la-ventana-mexico/

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
Same board selection as when I was there. It worked out as I was able to use the Glide on a couple of runs. (I also confirmed my general distaste for boof noses after trying the Fanatic). That being said, I could see rentals becoming a problem if more than one person with an interest in down winding rolled into town. It would be awesome if they added a couple of bullets to their repertoire.

The attraction of La Ventana relative to other spots is the extreme simplicity.  Beautiful spot.  Awesome food. Nothing to do but read, eat, sleep & downwind.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin