Author Topic: Board Length/Volume Question  (Read 1565 times)

NC Coastal Glide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Board Length/Volume Question
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
This is my third summer paddling the only paddle board I have ever been on - a 14 foot Bark Dominator that I bought new.  Well, I took one lesson on a different board but that 30 minutes is not an issue!  I am one of the old guys, just turned 68 years old.  I paddle about three times a week and on the off days for paddling I am on my road bike for 35 to 45 miles.  When I bought my board I weighed 192 lbs.  I now weigh 165 lbs and I am 5 foot 10 inches tall.  The weight loss was diet change so I no longer need to be on prescription meds for high blood pressure.  I've kept the weight off for almost a year and a half and I think I can continue doing that for the duration - of life!
I really like my Dominator but then I have nothing to compare it to.  At first, for me, it was "tippy" and a lot of big boat wakes would knock me off the board - now I don't have a problem staying on in pretty rough water.  So, as I ramble here I guess I don't really have a problem but I wonder with my weight loss, at 165 lbs would the 12 foot six inch Dominator be a better board for me?  I can rent a lot of different boards from several SUP shops near where I live but none have a 12 foot six inch Dominator or something similar for rent.  Their rental boards are all very wide, stable, and slow boards.
I don't race but I do paddle fast - given my age and ability - to get a good cardiovascular workout.  I never go in the ocean - it's all in the inland waters and the ICW along the North Carolina coast. Some days it's pretty flat and other days with a 25 MPH NE wind or a weekend with power boats and yatchs producing lots of multi-directional wakes it can be interesting.  Any opinions on this?  Thx!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board Length/Volume Question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
My first thought is instead of going shorter, what about getting a second 14' that's more challenging?   

It sounds like you're now light enough and experienced enough that you could do fine on a 12-6 now, whereas only a stable 14' would have worked for you at first.  But just because a 12-6 is now workable for you doesn't mean you should consider one unless it has advantages for you, and I'm not sure it does compared to getting another 14'.

My own 14' Bark was challenging for me at first, but now feels totally stable, especially after getting my 14' Javelin.  The Bark now feels a bit boring in flatwater vs. the faster and tippier Javelin.  If it's choppy, the Bark is great for stability, but I like my Glide better, because the nose doesn't get buried and pushed around. 

The Bark is a great board for being stable and fast in flatwater.  To me, a great complement to it would be one of the many 14' boards that are a bit narrower, and with more bulbous, less cutting noses.  They will be more challenging (and possibly faster) in flatwater due to being narrower and probably having a faster but tippier shape, and more fun in choppy conditions.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:30:41 AM by pdxmike »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board Length/Volume Question
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
If you never go in the ocean and are stable on the Dominator any narrower race type board is ok.  We use our original 27.5" Dominator in the ocean in fairly harsh conditions so we like its inherent stability and would not go any narrower.  We use that board for everything including DW in 25-30 kts and huge slop and reflected cross chop.

Maybe try a 26" or even 25" board next to see how that works.  You will feel a faster tippier ride that should be ok for you in flat water.  For wind to 25 kts it will be a handful though. 

A SIC X-14 Pro 26" would be an option or a Starboard Allstar 25".  Do demo first though to check that your next board is not too tippy in the conditions you will use it in.  A 14 is fine and would not go 12-6.   ;)

http://www.sicmaui.com/x-14-0-pro/

http://star-board-sup.com/2015/products/all-star-14x25/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:18:57 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]