Author Topic: Aiming at better designs  (Read 14097 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Aiming at better designs
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 08:52:19 PM »
Weasel, I stuck a gyro on a SUP, didn't help much. I might have taken the experiment further by using a higher speed gyro, but the first effort was so unpromising that I ditched the idea. The gyro/accelerometer-based balancing system on Segways and devices like your photo rely on accelerating the wheels to maintain balance. I can't see a way to apply it to SUP.

The easiest way to make a board faster is to sink the deck as low as possible. Right to the skin is good. Requires some slick ways to evacuate the water, but it can be done. Beyond the gain in stability there is also a small gain in blade angle/engagement and force vector. Enough to make the effort worthwhile. I'm not sure why it isn't done more often. A well understood issue in surfskis and sculls.

Surface coatings, etc. are also well explored and the general consensus is hogwash. I've tested some of the more popular ones in the Hood River Water Tunnel. Nada. I have long been a believer in scuffing the surface of painted hulls with fine sandpaper. I still think it looks nicer than a gloss finish, but alas, no difference in my tests. On the other hand, a gloss finish doesn't do anything either.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »
I don't think the future of unlimiteds is as dismal as many people may think. 

Certainly race rules encourage people to buy 14' boards but not ULs, which encourages companies to not bother making boards longer than 14', which then guarantees people aren't going to be buying them, since they almost don't exist. 

But that can change.  As photofr said, going long allows boards to be faster with
out losing stability.  Going longer is also not an expensive way of making boards faster, especially compared to cutting weight or creating elaborate shapes.

As A10 pointed out, ULs have problems with maneuverability, performance in chop, etc. and certainly in surf.  On the other hand, the huge growth in SUP over the next few years may be happening in pure flatwater, and there ULs work great. 

It's no fun being on a board that's tippy, hard to maneuver, etc. (i.e. many ULs) but on the other hand it's no fun (or at least not as much fun) being too heavy for a 14' board, so that you're plowing through water at 4 or 5 mph when you could be gliding much further and going much faster on a longer board.  That applies to everyday paddling as well as racing.

My guess is the largest growth in boards will be cheap, shorter boards (sim. to what's become popular in kayaks).  And people moving up from them will then get 14' race boards, then after that more expensive, faster 14' race boards, which is the stage many people in the sport are at now.  But I think there's already--or soon will be--many people who've raced for several years, and got very fine 14' race boards, but are either burned out on racing, or just looking for a different challenge or different experience.  For them, getting an UL could be an attractive choice.  And for them, being able to go faster also means being able to go further in the same amount of time, which can open up new paddling experiences, again making ULs attractive.

So the UL market could be people who've paddled for 5 or 10 years, and that group is very small now, but will grow quickly. And I don't think racing them will be the reason for buying them, but certainly once people have them, they might get interested in racing again, using their unlimiteds.  Then that could grow the UL category in racing...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:39:49 PM by pdxmike »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »
I see ul interest growing if the equipment is more user friendly.

The need for speed may be the driver. I see the points of area 10. Its like surfing in a contest. The conditions are the same for all participating. This applies to these boards also if there is a class for them.

My thoughts for lightweight easy to transport gear includes a sectional board for the 10 to one ratio. A three piece board that locks together for use.  An inflatable may also be a solution. It would need batons to stiffen and a big compressor to fill.

As far a transporting a 21 foot board I think you will need a trailer and a boat ramp. This is why I think a sectional board is a solution. Mount them on the racks. Carry from racks to your launch one at a time. Put together and go paddle. Stiffness might be less than for a one piece board but at 21 foot it has plenty of support from the water and probably be faster than anything currently available unless the guy from the boat ramp brings his down to play.

With the largest potential of growth being flat water paddling, I think this could be a popular board. Good post photofr.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »
One of the factors  stopping  unlimiteds is it is very hard  to  ship  anything  over 14' long. If you can only buy or sell boards locally, there  is  a  problem .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 08:24:40 AM »
Actually they can be shipped easily, just not in quantity one. The surfski and OC guys have been shipping their products for years. They use reusable bomber crates that holt two or three boats. The surfskis sometimes ship in Sonotubes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
When there's a will… there is a way.
Surfski on my top shelf, bought in France; shipped from South Africa.
Surfski on the middle shelf, bought in France; shipped from South Africa.
UL 17'6 x 23" on the bottom shelf, bought in France; shipped from Thailand.

Aside from being at my house, the only thing they all have in common is that they were all shipped in a container. It only adds about 60 USD per boat to ship them in a huge container.

Heads up… my 14' board is harder to carry than my 22' surfski - even on a windy day.

I believe that stores do not want to sell ULs… surf shops aren't usually set up to store boards in the 18 to 22 feet range.
Surfski shops do not want to have anything to do with SUP - perhaps pride ahahahaha

I'd say: "let's see more people out of the norm".
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
I didn't get into tbe hobby to be fast or efficient. I like the feeling of standing on and being mobile on water by my own power. People keep telling me that I could have a boat with a motor for what I've paid for my boards...I have to tell them that it's about NOT having a motor. I went from a 10'6" board to a 12' board, and then a 14' board. There's no way I ever would have bought a 14' board first. It just seemed so rediculous until I really spent some time in the hobby and realized that it was necessary for what I wanted out of my sup experience.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
These guys helped put on the Canadian Surfski Championships last month and also love SUP racing.  They are scheduled to be coming back to our Club in a few days with Darryl from Think.  The owner from Deep Cove is also a really nice guy who is all-in for surfskis -> but yet currently is storing one of Lina's boards at his home.  So not all surfski people avoid or dislike SUP.  These surfski people here in Canada really love SUP as they put on Tuesday night races for surfski and SUPs alike.  They started with kayaks and surfskis but now sell a ton of SUPs.

http://www.deepcovekayak.com/surfski/overview/

http://canadiansurfskichamps.com

http://thinkkayak.com/about/

Now if the wind just picks up a bit more - we can get a nice DW run up in Squamish.   :)

p.s. - anyone interested in the Porteau to Squamish DW run -> the 2015 race recap video shows exactly what you get.  That day we followed them but they slowly pulled on us.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:23:37 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »
Seems to me that very few people build SUP from molds. THINK is one of two that I know of, but the only one I know making a board seeking similar nose water displacement.
This is great news from THINK… I just wish they would have made two modifications that would end up playing a huge role in board efficiency:
- Longer board
- Rudder system

I still can't wait to see what the near future will bring us in terms of UL.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 03:22:12 PM »
It is easy enough to ask via direct call or email.  If he is in town we could ask him personally if he would make you a one-off hollow custom UL with rudder.  Expect to pay a few extra dollars though as it did not appear that his focus was building tons of SUPs vs surf skis.
Fast is FUN!   8)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 12:23:15 AM »
Sure, if it were for me:
I'd start saving to dish out a pretty penny for a custom board - but that's not the intent. The thing is, I am actually interested in seeing some changes in SUP designs, to mostly benefit the general public (the more people the merrier).

Seeing companies taking initiatives to create stock UL boards that will perform is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, politics (and money) will come into the picture and dictate "what slow board" you should be using on your next 10 or 20 km race.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
Just talked to Darryl and he has no plans for UL surfski inspired SUP designs anytime soon.  He thought that the volume up front would pose a problem if too high -> crosswind and upwind at an angle.  He said that Rob Casey from Seattle made a hollow 16 for touring though.  Anyways thought I would ask for you since he was there at our local demo.

Tried his XOR and found that shape paddled really well - really slick board and liked it a lot.  Had a more slippery feel than our Dominator -> and was even more silent cutting into the waves.   :)

Fast is FUN!   8)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the update Eagle !
Yeah, I kinda figured most people wouldn't go for UL boards.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it… and in the case of SUP: shorter boards are selling just fine… so why go for faster / better / more headaches / less margins ?
(totally understandable from their prospectives)

Starboard seems to be discontinuing one of their two UL boards for 2016 - my favorite ever, the one I am keeping, the "beauty", the near-perfect ocean board, and the joy for long distance paddling: the Sprint UL 17'6 x 23" may just disappear. SNIF
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards