Author Topic: Joined the SUP movement!  (Read 9057 times)

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Joined the SUP movement!
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:31:03 AM »
Picked up my used Naish Glide 14' this past Friday (from Jim K here on the zone).  Got out Saturday and Sunday on a local lake (totally glassy on Sunday morning).  I have to admit, this SUPing is awesome.  Only fell twice on Saturday and none on Sunday.  Both days I did a 5 mile route.  First day took my close to 1.5 hours.  Second day took 1.25 hours (about 4mph).

I also got a leash, full carbon adjustable paddle and belt PFD.  I have to admit that I have not used the PFD yet however I do carry a whistle.    Glad I got the carbon paddle.  I picked up an aluminum one next to and it felt like a brick compared to the carbon.

I expected to feel tippy in the beginning, however the one thing I didn't expect (which caused both times falling) was the front to back slickness of the board.  Both times I fell, I had shifted my weight on my heels (no no) and when trying to back peddle, the board shot right out from under me.  Mental note....keep body weight over feet......check.  Once I get more comfortable on the board, I'll try walking back and forward.

The other thing I noticed was that my toes got a little numb after a while.  I tried moving my feet around, but I think the diamond shaped pad is putting pressure on points of my feet instead of my entire foot.  Is this something that will go away, or is there a fix?

That's all for now folks.  Gonna try and get on the water this week before work if I can.  This is great.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Joined the SUP movement!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »
KW, You look like you are in the perfect spot and got a great board for it.  I gather you'll need to concentrate on planting yourself equally on the spot under your big toe and heel.  It sounds like you stood too straight..  Happens to me in the surf - I straighten up and the board squirts out under me.  I have had that 'numb foot' business also.. I either got over it - got used to it - or my feet are no longer so tense.  You might try a pair of booties as you are not dancing around on your board like in the surf...?

"This is great."  ...isn't tho.  I have done a lot of stuff; rowing, bikes, kites, OC-1, various kayaks, iceboats, Cats, dinghys, offshore ..and this simple (ahem..) standup provides the best overall satisfaction of all those things.  For thrills, some of those others maybe... but nothing leaves you feeling so good so long.  Press on.

Jim

(and stay away from JimK ..your trust administrator will begin showing anxiety ..or want a new sofa) 
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:03:24 AM »
Welcome and congrats on a great board choice.. I have a few tips for you about that board.. Try to always stand with your toes touching that dark (yellow/black) section of deck pad.. This will give not only better stability but better speed/glide and less yawing.. Also try and always stand with your feet close together rather than right out near the rails.. and one more thing.. If it still has the stock fin throw it in the bin and buy a cheap 9" dolphin shaped fin..  :)

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:51:12 AM »
Glad you're enjoying and you got some great gear.  You'll build up your board feet in another one or two outings and soon the board will feel like a barge.  I personally enjoy falling in but only when the air and water temps are 80+. 

I also got a leash, full carbon adjustable paddle and belt PFD.  I have to admit that I have not used the PFD yet however I do carry a whistle.   

I personally don't use a leash or PFD for flat water but is the main point of the whistle incase you get injured or stranded?  I've never thought to carry one, but always carry one when I go hiking or biking in the backcountry.  There are enough people on my lake though that I could usually flag someone down if I needed too. 

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
Congrats!  SUP is definitely addicting.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
toes numb? that happened to me Palos so I took a high speed grinder and ground off the numbs diamonds in the places where my feet go. worked great
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
DJ, thanks for the tip.  I was going to ask about the fin next.  I'll have to start looking around for that next.

SUPlakes,
I bought the PFD for if I decide to go on the ocean (or places around here that are patrolled).  The whistle is actually a requirement here in PA.  I have it on a lanyard around my neck.  It was free (kids had one laying around).  I put the leash on because the first time I fell off the board, it shot out in front of me and I don't feel like swimming after it.  :)

As far as grinding down the nubs, my Naish has the dual compound pad and I have notice a couple of the diamonds have delaminated.  Might just leave them off.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:45:59 AM by Kwolfe »

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »
Here's the board in the garage with the paddle.  Ironically enough, it's sitting on top of the strip kayak I am building.

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
BTW, can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement fin.  I was online and saw the cheap dolphin shapes but don't want to get a real piece of junk.  Thanks

Kevin

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
BTW, can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement fin.  I was online and saw the cheap dolphin shapes but don't want to get a real piece of junk.  Thanks

Kevin

I think you'll be surprised how cheap these are.. and they're excellent.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:33:27 AM »
I got the numb feet/toes thing when I started too ... it was from trying so desperately to keep grounded on the board that I was clenching with my toes. As you relax into paddling, with feet closer together (good tip, that), that will go away. Pretend you're a relaxed gondolier in Venice, paddling as if you've done it all your life ...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
Staggering your feet even slightly might help.  Slightly like a 1-1 1/2".  And change which foot is foreword a few times. 

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
Got out this morning before work.  What a great way to start the day!  Sun came up behind me and just lit up the glassy lake.  Got in just over 5 miles in an hour which is considerably better than my first two outings (1.5 & 1.25 hrs for the same route). 

Really trying to make sure that I learn good form from the get go (good stabbing reach, stack the shoulders, brace the arms, pop the paddle out with the hips).  Pinky toes got a touch numb at one point and then I realized that I wasn't relaxed anymore.  Relaxed and moving the pressure to the  inside balls of my feet really helped. 

DJ, thanks for the vid.  I ordered that fin and it should be here in time to paddle this weekend.

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
Sing with me, "One of these things is not like the others".  Not a whole lot of SUPing in central PA.  Time to break that mold and spread the stoke (can I say that now, or is it too early).

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
Today was cool. Got on to the largest lake around.  Did a 10 miler and to be honest I could have kept going. It's just to much fun.

This lake allowed power boats in sections which put me in the drink a couple of times. Front or diagonal wasn't bad but a decent wake from the side did give throw me. Guess I need more practice. Great day though.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf