Author Topic: Unlimiteds - Let's see them  (Read 5408 times)

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
Unlimiteds - Let's see them
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Taking a shot in the dark here, but if you have (or have had) an Unlimited (longer than 14') board, post up a picture or two. Why do/did you like or dislike it and why?

Thanks!
Will

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unlimiteds - Let's see them
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Here is an old thread that shows the unlimiteds I paddled and raced. There are about 10 more that I've either raced or paddled that are not shown. I've paddle about 4 or 5 different Ohana unlimiteds, 3 or 4 Richmond unlimiteds ( which are the best IMO ), and a few Barks. I've raced a 22" wide by 19' Richmond in a flat water (Mission Bay) race. Super tippy, but super fast!!
The last one in my thread I still paddle. It's a 6 to 7 mph board in flat water. You'll never feel that kind of glide on a 14' board. I was talking to Chuck Patterson last week ( they're training 6 man OC). He was looking at my board and said, " People don't get it bruddah, unlimited's are the F'n bomb!"

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22012.msg220637.html#msg220637
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »
Thank you for sharing TD!

I noticed most of the boards shown look to be pintails, have you tried any that had boxier tails? Also curious if have you tried running ventral fins on the tippier boards? I've tried a number of 14' boards but I think I need to jump to something longer. I would love to try a few before going the custom route, but I haven't seen even one unlimited on the local CL in two years of watching. Just nothing out here in that category I guess which I find a little surprising considering the proximity to Narragansett Bay and the Ocean. I've been pondering trying my hand at designing and making something myself just to see if I can.

Will

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »
Unlimited are in a class of their own - literally, because hardly anyone here in France wants to include them. It's a real shame. Even more disappointing is the fact that only a handful of people have actually tried different UL boards. The french are still determined to "know it all" and I guess do not need to try them ahahahah. I hope people in the states are a little more curious.

Here's my take on Unlimited boards - and I will do my best to remain very neutral.
They are fast.
For the same width, they are usually far more stable - while keeping their speed.
Interestingly enough, GPS tests reveal that even a "basic" UL is faster than the fastest 12'6 flat water board - on flat water.
ULs do not surf breaking waves very well… but here and again, neither does a 12'6 board.
Long boards are in fact, still a little heavy for my taste… all except the 17'6 x 23" Sprint from Starboard, which remains my favorite board to date.
Unlimited boards are long… and storage is said to be a problem… well, that's all relevant, because my 22' surfski makes my UL boards look tiny.
The one problem I find with many UL boards is side wind; they are more affected by side wind. Putting some kind of a rudder system or a ventral fin fixes this immediately.

On with couple of photos and caption. You will notice the first photo with my favorite board, in the middle of the ocean during a 35 km paddle.

10.2 KM OF SIDE SWELLS / TOTAL 35 KM OCEAN PADDLE ON THE 17'6 X 23" (STARBOARD SPRINT)

FIRST TIME PADDLER ON THE 17'4 X 27" - STARBOARD ACE GT

HAND-MADE 18' X 26" OUT OF PLYWOOD

ONE OF A KIND, THE FIRST STAND UP CANOE HANDMADE IN FRANCE

Hope you guys get a chance to feel the glide an Unlimited board will bring you - it's an eye opener, and there should be a lot more. Enjoy the photos.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
Will, if you can wait until next Spring, I'll bring back at least 1 (or more) unlimiteds for you as we discussed. Either that or you need to move out here. Still not a lot of them around but definitely some crazy good deals to be had when they do pop up.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
The first flat water and non-downwind racing boards were unlimiteds. 16' to 19' x about 26" was typical. Most of the board builder's were based in So-Cal. Like Kayadogg said, we actually have a number of them on CL around here.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/5060044602.html

http://ventura.craigslist.org/spo/5061601612.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/5077303403.html

I have friends with a unlimiteds for sale, but they are too narrow for you or me.

Craig Richmond, Joe Bark, Dave Daum (Kings) or Steve Boehne (Infinity) all have experience shaping unlimiteds and can build you a custom just for your size, where you paddle, and ability.

Here is the link to a website where used prone racing paddleboards and some SUP race boards are sold.
 http://www.eatonsurf.com/UsedPaddleboardsRedux.htm
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
Come on out and check the Speedboard sometime. There will also likely be a few at the Charles race next weekend (though we aren't running an unlimited class). There were 3 at the Paddle for the Bays last year.

BTW...i think its already been mentioned here but keep your eyes open for a stolen unlimited. Cyclops 18' Ban Pho is out there somewhere...no doubt getting a paint job before being sold.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:33 PM »
Will, if you can wait until next Spring, I'll bring back at least 1 (or more) unlimiteds for you as we discussed. Either that or you need to move out here. Still not a lot of them around but definitely some crazy good deals to be had when they do pop up.

Thanks Kayadogg! I'm not in a big hurry, but it is Summer time and the water calls so I get the itch to try something else.

Photofr:
Thank you for posting up and sharing. It does seem like a ventral fin would be a plus on these longer boards.

TallDude:
I see those popping up in your neck of the woods when I search all-craigs, frustrates me to no end! ;-) Shipping a board that long across country is probably an iffy proposition. In the end I'll probably wait for KD to make the cross-Country quiver run.

Stoneaxe:
Cool, I could bring the Puma and let you take a run on the Clydesdale board. I didn't hear about the Ban Pho but I'll keep my eyes open. A board like that would stand out if it popped up on the local CL.

Will

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »
I can't believe anyone would steal it.....definitely stands out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:33:43 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BroDog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 08:43:01 PM »
Here's an image of the Hulk. It's 17.5'x27".  Larry Allison retrofitted it with probox fin boxes and also a ventral fin box.  Unlimiteds are definitely a different breed of sup.  The speed and glide are superior to anything else on the water.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »
BroDog, the Hulk is a monster....well, he is.  ;)

Sweet set up you have there!

Will

BroDog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »
Mahalo BWilliam. The Hulk has won a couple of races this year. Partly because it's fast and also cause not that many guys race on unlimiteds.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 09:11:14 PM
foiled again
Today at 07:28:05 PM
B-Walnut