Author Topic: Heart rate and pacing yourself in a race  (Read 2916 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Heart rate and pacing yourself in a race
« on: July 13, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »
I recently got a SpeedCoach SUP 2 with a heart rate monitor and I've been gradually figuring out what to make of all the data it's giving me on my workouts and racing.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2015/07/post-race-analysis-of-speedcoach-sup-2.html

One thing I wonder about is if it's faster overall to go at consistent hard effort for the whole race, or to alternate very hard efforts with moderate efforts that allow some recovery. Is there a general rule of thumb about this?

Also, in a crowded start I know it's good to sprint off the line to get into a good draft train. But if you're just trying to paddle a certain distance as fast as possible, not in a race, is it still helpful to sprint-start or is it better to put your biggest effort in the middle or end of the distance?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Heart rate and pacing yourself in a race
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
As with most endurance type events (running, paddling, etc) many people get over zealous and burn out due to putting out too much energy in the first half. You want to pace yourself so that you're at your limit right at the finish. You need to practice this a few times and also your pre race nutrition has to be right.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
Agree with supsurf-tw.

Normally try to pace -> then ramp it up - but are quite over the hill now with mediocre stamina.  Going 100% then trying to recover does not work for us as speed and technique get lost due to old age once gassed at the limit.  Pretty much now just like to get out for a bit of fun and fitness - and race off the clock with buddies.  We leave the serious racing speed and power to others more keen.

Pulled this off our GPS watch yesterday while on a fitness paddle using our 30" SB Touring Carbon and Riviera paddle - conditions were very light chop no current -  :)

Would keep a close eye on any heart palpitations and take it real easy.   :o
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
Yesterday we had our 1st annual club SUP - dingy - or whatever you brung race at our Club.

Unfortunately forgot to turn on my GPS watch to get a speed and distance track to follow -> so can only go by memory.  The 4 that lined up were a purpose made ocean rowing shell - an old wooden racing dingy - a SB Touring AST 12'-6" with rowing attachment - and our SB Touring Carbon 14.  The race conditions were leftover ocean slop and medium swell as wind had blown 18 kts earlier all day - it was still maybe a bit fairly rough actually.

The race started with a flag drop and blast from our club cannon.  It probably scared the bejesus of the people suntanning on our local beach - but we start all our official Club races that way.  We had a water start of course as the 16' wingspan of the rowers needed plenty of space and depth.  We set the line from our parking lot to a large rock outcropping.

BOOOM!!!

We were off!  The rowing shell accelerated fast off the line and I tried to stick with him as he looked fast.  As he slowly took the lead I tried to draft - but was impossible with his long glide and double bladed strong pull.  Had no idea where anyone else was - as was just trying to keep in close contact with the race leader.  As we rounded our breakwater we headed around the first mark which was an inner island.  We had a little reprieve from the wind and wave action behind the island.  The leader made his own course line choosing to go under low docks instead of around them.  A bold move as the water is very shallow and pilings narrow.  He made it - just - and I thought no way am I going to paddle the extra distance around docks -> so I proceeded to follow him.  It worked out ok but I had to crouch down very low from getting my head taken off.  He was playing see if you can follow me through here - tactics.  Very strategic indeed.

That was perfectly ok -> the rules did not state this was not allowed - we only had to round the island as per the/his race instructions.

He then tried to make his way by cutting between two tight islands that dry across at low tide but had to stop.  That was my chance I thought - his shortest distance tactics were starting to backfire on him!  He put his shell into reverse and was able to find deep enough water again and made it through.  That allowed me to close the gap and made it close again - I was very hot on his tail at this point and he looked like he was panicking.

As we got back into open water - he made fantastic distance and speed.  Going at my race pace I could not hold him.  That huge wingspan allowed him to pull huge distance and glide on each stroke.  But amusingly as I headed directly for the turning buoy - he was veering all around -> out to the ocean -> then back to shore.  Haha here was my chance!   He was lost and could not steer to find the mark!  He was completely out of sorts as he could see me making up huge distance second by second!

But with his big lead he was able to recover in time and he finally found the mark.  As he turned to head back to the beach to finish all I could do was watch.  My placing looked impossible to catch him unless he caught and tangled one of many crab trap obstacles.  Once I rounded I had my first look over my shoulder to check where the remaining fleet was.  Could see the 12'-6" AST rower behind me some distance and that seemed to be it - was not able to locate where the wooden racing dingy was.

Luckily was able to catch some nice swells heading back to the finish and was able to get some much needed extra glide and push.  But no chance to relax and slow as the race was still on to the finish.  Maybe a couple of minutes behind the first place finisher - the race was over.

As I sat on the dock getting ready to lift my SUP from the water the 12'-6" AST came roaring in - then much later the wooden rowing dingy.  We all made our way back to the clubhouse for beers and dinner.  The race director announced the race results to the gathered crowd of around 150 dinner and dance party goers.  In a very surprising turn of events his wife had no choice but to disqualify the first place finisher - which was him - because his placing was appealed by another competitor.  It was deemed and concluded that he started the race early from the written start time by 15 minutes so another competitor had to unfairly start late!!!

Haha - it was declared that the second place finisher advances to first!

The race director also paddles SUP btw -> but his passion is rowing obviously.  The person that declared the injustice was a 2-time Olympic rower.  I had raced our Olympian before when he was in his ocean racing dingy - and he was very a formidable opponent.  In that encounter was able to eke out a tight win on my Dominator after racing a few miles.  He by his own accord is no longer in good racing trim - but he still paddles his true racing shell on a local lake still quite often.  To give some context he rowed 8s - 4s - and pairs - he is a very well accomplished and decorated paddler with many medals to his credit.

So as it goes -> all of us are old between mid-50s and early 70s and well out of shape and past our prime.  But we all still have a bit of competitive drive and a few surprises for the young guns.  Never judge a book by its cover.  Always have fun on the water and stay safe.

Ok - nuff of this racing bs - time to get a DWer in - wind is just picking up!

Fast is FUN!   8)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips, folks. :)

Eagle- Cool story. I like when there are some strategic bits in a race that can shift the favor away from the purely fastest to the most wily. Our local shop is planning an island-rounding race for October that should be interesting because there are shallow shoals and very strong currents through the inlets on both ends of the island.

-J
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »
Hey FWS, not a SUP racer by any stretch -> but like to think we are - haha.  Take care of yourself.   :)

Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest