Author Topic: New Board - Pretty happy with this CL find  (Read 5712 times)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Board - Pretty happy with this CL find
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:23:05 AM »
Have been looking for a while, as many know.  I've come close several times to just getting out the credit card and ordering new, but kept checking Craigslist several times I day.   I think it finally paid off.

Friday nite I was doing my regular search and came across a 2015 Starboard 14' Touring Elite, which was one of the boards I was very interested in.  Included with the board was a QB Kanaha FG paddle, coiled leash and a nice 2-SUP garage rack unused - all for $700.   My first thought was that someone was playing a joke or something. 

Got in touch with the seller Sat am and made plans to make the ~4 hour one way drive Sunday, today.  They called back an hour later and said they were getting a ton of calls and that it was really better for them to sell it today.  So after a frantic hour of trying to change some plans, I drove up and picked up the board.  And I tell you, I couldn't be any happier.  Board is in really good condition.  A few skuff marks here and there but nothing big at all.

Paddle is in great condition, too.  The guy said he's had the whole setup for 3-4 months and just didn't work out for him and the family.  I'm planning to cut down the QB paddle today for my wife.   She's been using my paddle (too big for her) so this was a win for both of us.

One question - there seems to be some rail tape on the board, although it's much smaller than the RS Pro Large I have on the Blade 2.  The seller said it came like that on the board?  I think I'd like to remove this and put on some RS Pro, but just wanted to ask to anyone familiar with the board, if this is somehow integrated into the construction?  I'd tried to put a fingernail underneath it to see if it'd pull off and it wasn't easy, but I didn't want to mess with it until I knew for sure what it was.

A special thanks for their time to the 2 Zoner dealers who priced me some new boards.  And also a thanks to the 2 Zoners in Jax for replying to my msg yesterday.  I thought I was perhaps going to lose this deal (before I could change my schedule) and was trying anything to be able to pick up the board.

Happy to get out on the water today instead of just reading about it.

Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Board - Pretty happy with this CL find
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
Score!  Leave the tape alone and start paddling.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »
My first thought was either that board and gear was stolen or the seller is lacking in Karma points big time. That is an incredible deal. The board alone is worth 1300.00 plus tax new and throw in the rest of the gear and you are pushing 1700.00+ easy in a lot of places. One of the best scores I have ever checked out on the zone. Congrats. Let us know how the board paddles.

Paddleboardshop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle boards store
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:42:26 AM »
costco has a great deal with paddle for 700$ board is tough and light great starter board for amazing price.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
Wow that's an insane find right there, congrats.  Enjoy it! 

They do not come from the factory with rail tape, so it was probably put on by the shop.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 03:43:37 PM »
Big time score! If the rail tape isn't working I'd replace it with the RSPro but if its Ok just go get wet.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »
thanks for the thoughts on the rail tape.  It's a real thin piece and the rails are pretty big on this board.  And of course, all of the kicks are way above where they put the tape.  I would have put it up a lot higher, I think, and will do so with the RSP.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
Haven't seen much from individuals on the 14' Touring. After a few times out,how about sharing your opinions on the board ....stability,wind and chop,speed and glide. THANKS

kayakdave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »
Would it be possible to add another layer of rail tape just above the first layer?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Scrub off any marks the previous owner put on it and then take it out a couple times yourself. You'll see the new paddle marks you make and know exactly where to center the new RSPro....I'd go with the wide version for a board that thick.
I can't believe how good the RSPro is. I whack the heck out of my boards. I already had some marks on my Foote after just a few sessions. I've been out 4 times now with the RSPro on it and all were choppy/bumpy...aka rail whacking conditions....not a mark can be seen on the RSPro....I was looking at it closely just today thinking how cool this stuff works. I'm getting it for every board I ever buy....great stuff.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
Nice board, but your wife's mirrored console cabinet now looks terribly out of place.  Yard sale!!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 05:05:40 AM »
Nice board, but your wife's mirrored console cabinet now looks terribly out of place.  Yard sale!!

Ha!  No kidding.  After getting back at 11pm after driving all day, I didn't have the energy to find a place to put this in the garage.  It came straight in the house.

Haven't seen much from individuals on the 14' Touring. After a few times out,how about sharing your opinions on the board ....stability,wind and chop,speed and glide. THANKS

Not sure how much info I'll be able to provide as I don't have much to compare it to, but I can tell you I was able to stay up on it much more than the Blade II last nite, so that's a plus.  Still a little wobbly, but I'll work on that.

Would it be possible to add another layer of rail tape just above the first layer?

Good question.  I'm just going to order the XL stuff (I have an email into NSI to see if they have it, I didn't see it on the website) and will eye it over the existing tape.  I'm not sure if my OCD will let me put the new tape over the old, but maybe they would line up really good next to each other and I'll get double protection.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 05:31:55 AM »
get rail saver pro--unarguably superior rail tape
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
Congrats and good find on the board.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
You scored pal! Looks like a great board and will probably be more fun as a router than the Blade II which was nothing but aggrevation for you.

Hairdryer on low heat might help remove the old tape. Why risk it - a second layer will work just fine..

Enjoy!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?