Author Topic: How did you train yourself to switch hands for cutbacks?  (Read 3580 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How did you train yourself to switch hands for cutbacks?
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
I'm having trouble using my paddle to do cutbacks.  I'm mostly still doing them the prone surfing way and I was wondering if anyone did drills or something to get used to switching hands and using the paddle in do cutbacks.  When I'm surfing, I'm mostly in the moment and never seem to switch hands with my paddle.  How did you train yourself?

8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

Re: How did you train yourself to switch hands for cutbacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
#1 - I stare at really stupid looking pictures of myself cutting back with the paddle on the wrong side.
#2 - paddling for a wave I repeat:
"Switch you paddle dipshit"

Sometimes it works ;D

I also switch the paddle to the inside after the initial turn, so its on the proper side to bang the lip or cutback

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
Self-preservation. Get in a big wave, do a hard cutback without using your paddle. Once the smoke clears and you find the surface do it again and again until you switch hands and get your paddle back at the right time. Smile.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Going frontside, I don't switch hands. I put the paddle behind me and on the opposite side of the board. So I basically counter rotate my upper body. I've hatchet'd the tail of my board more times than I can remember trying to force the move with my paddle. Lots of rail chop repairs right at the tail of my board. I finally learned to place it, not force it behind me. When I start to cut back, I keep my shoulders facing the lip and place the paddle behind me (on the opposite side of the board).
I see a lot of guys rotating into the turn, switching hands and bracing with their paddle on the inside of the turn. It's a cool looking move. It's similar to a backside cutback, bracing with your paddle on the inside.
I wonder how it would look to do a backside cutback, over rotate and place your paddle behind you on the opposite side of board?  ???
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
I learned not to do that by sitting on my paddle few times. Not good for the paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »
I make an attempt to drag (feather ... right..) my paddle as far as stiff body will let me counter rotate. Sometimes I end up sitting into the face of the wave, but I like really get it back.
Even though the camera angle distorts it, I actually am trying to hold the paddle back in this sequence.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »
Going frontside, I don't switch hands. I put the paddle behind me and on the opposite side of the board. So I basically counter rotate my upper body. I've hatchet'd the tail of my board more times than I can remember trying to force the move with my paddle. Lots of rail chop repairs right at the tail of my board. I finally learned to place it, not force it behind me. When I start to cut back, I keep my shoulders facing the lip and place the paddle behind me (on the opposite side of the board).
I see a lot of guys rotating into the turn, switching hands and bracing with their paddle on the inside of the turn. It's a cool looking move. It's similar to a backside cutback, bracing with your paddle on the inside.
I wonder how it would look to do a backside cutback, over rotate and place your paddle behind you on the opposite side of board?  ???

I do it the exact same way. On front side I don't feel the need to switch hands at all. I put my back foot right on the corner of the board and push hard, my foot sometimes comes off the actual footpad and toes or heels will hang on to the rails, so I have put some wax there for that purpose.

However when I go backside, I have to stick the oar towards the shore.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »
After flubbing several, I managed to do a front side cutback this morning with my paddle switched and dragging pulling me around.  It was easier to do a complete cutback rather than a partial one.  I guess because the drag helps you rotate. 

The hardest part is untraining yourself from many years of prone surfing.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Yup, that's been my problem too!

The hardest part is untraining yourself from many years of prone surfing.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

nosarapaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 10:45:58 AM »
Repetition is the only way gain fluidity with your paddle transitions. The key to practicing out of the water is to mix in body movement with your switches, this helps replicate the sense of movement on the wave while doing the transition.

A couple ideas are to walk and/or do a squat movement while switching hands. It can feel a bit kooky but it helps build muscle memory. You don't want to be looking at your hands or miss the handle during a switch on the wave. Another good one is to switch hands with your paddle while balancing on an Indo Board, this you can do with your feet both facing forward and in surf stance.

Remember to keep your legs compressed and reconsider the length of your paddle. Your SUP surf paddle should be shorter than your paddle used for other SUP disciplines. An overly long paddle contributes to banging those rails.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
TD, I've always admired that green board of yours.

As for switching hands, I do everything by the same instinct roadkill uses to get across a highway.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin