Author Topic: More on the cancellation of the World Cup in Germany  (Read 4746 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: More on the cancellation of the World Cup in Germany
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
I did a Google search and apparently there IS such a thing is professional surf ski racing.  I honestly am surprised.  That being said, professional surf ski racing probably does not pay out enough in prize money and endorsements for it's paddlers to actually make a living.   I've been to races and there are vendors and the like so it's obviously possible to pull off.   Maybe the big mistake the SUP racing world let happen to itself was to ever get bigger than just being a small sport targeted towards people already into it. Also perhaps it was banking on the same idea as professional surfing (where most of the population isn't in close enough proximity to even take up surfing)  https://www.northcoastkayaks.com/kayak-equipment/surfski-racer-profiles-sean-kenny-rice/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
Undoubtedly SUP racing is going to gravitate to participation vs spectator. The only people watching a SUP pro race are the people waiting to participate in the open race, along with a few wives, family, dogs, and people with nothing better to do. Even the open class spectators walk away after the start and come back for the finish. Ten miles an hour--max??? How long do you want to watch a walking race?

The big races offer a purse, and it works as a draw--today. But there's a reason why you don't find OC races doing that. There isn't enough money in the sport to offer that kind of cost commitment.

I love the sport, but I go to the battle of the paddle and every other race I do to participate. I'm glad the pros are there, but it's not that big a deal. Figure out a way to make hanging around with your friends afterwards a real blast, and you'd have something. The CCBC and Challenge on the Charles are that in spades, which is one more reason why I travel across the country to participate. Maybe as this progresses a few race organizers will realize that the key to profitable participation is taking good care of the weekend warriors.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »
We discussed the idea more than once about having a CCBC race, or having the Charles WPA sanctioned and adding prize money. Never got much traction on either. I think its reflected in the vibe. I also like the size of the events as they are. Big enough to generate some excitement but small enough to feel more like a bunch of friends. There's a reason we call it the CCBC ohana.

I know one thing, that I will support a charity event over something else any day. I don't have all that much time to get to other events but those I do (usually Paddle for the Bays and Paddle to the Point at least) have a charity associated with them. This could all be good news for charity events actually. Our reasons for staging the events is different and its an effort of many people volunteering so its more resilient, less subject to pressure to produce.

You might be right about the blip, which I think would suck. The pros are fun to watch when the competition is heated and the stakes are high.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:06:25 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin