Author Topic: Are you happy that you bought a Solo Shot 1 or 2?  (Read 17345 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are you happy that you bought a Solo Shot 1 or 2?
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a Solo Shot 2 and was wondering what the consensus was on them.  Anyone who has one:  Are you glad you bought one?  Is it something that you use all of the time?  Or, is it a novel toy that you use a few times, get bored with it, and then leave it in a drawer?   Does it work well?  Is it a useful tool for improving your paddling?  Thoughts?  Perceptions? 

SurferCook, I know you just got one.  What do you think?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are you happy that you bought a Solo Shot 1 or 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:43:04 AM »
i have the 1st one and yes it just sits in the corner, i found it to be a pain. i got some footage but setting it up sucked was really hard to  get it all lined up.  i gotta mess with it some more this summer. maybe the 2nd version is better.  i got it  as a gift i found it frustarating 

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »
I figure a reasonable way to buy a Solo Shot, is to get a few friends to go into a "Time Share" purchase.
Members request solo sessions or pass around the wrist band during a good session.

That way the expense can be mitigated and it would gather less dust.

Just make sure to include a member that is tech savvy  ;)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
I'm considering getting one as well. But I was thinking, would it be easier and cheaper to just have someone film you? Maybe have friends who don't surf do it for free or for lunch. Or have surfing buddies take turns filming. Unless you want to get video of many many sessions the Solo Shot doesn't seem cost effective. If I were a pro this would be a great training tool but then as a pro I'd think you'd have a coach or someone else that can do the filming.

I'm trying to figure out how to film myself surfing with my drone. It has follow me mode but that means I'd have to surf with the controller which is not waterproof. So it's back to having someone else film you. But none of my surfing buddies know how to fly a drone. That Solo Shot sounds good again.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
I agree with all of the above comments. 
1. They are expensive. 
2. Pain to set up and poor battery life.  Supposedly the "2" is much better. 
3. I am finding that the idea of having a friend film you sounds good, but it's really difficult to get someone to do it.  Even then, how good would they be at it?   
4.  A multiple owner deal is another thing that sounds good, but would be difficult to pull off. 

With the above excuses easing my guilt, I just bit the bullet and bought a SoloShot 2 on Amazon for $399.  It comes with an armband and the unit.  We'll see if it was a good idea.  The cool thing about Amazon is their pretty liberal, 30 day, return policy.  Hope I don't need to use it.

Maybe I'll let some friends wear the armband and get some vids of themselves. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:15:45 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Maybe I'll let some friends wear the armband and get some vids of themselves.

Zooport:  I'll be happy to take you up on that offer as payback for the leash loan!
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:45:37 AM »
I think the $399 package is not complete. You'll also need the camera controller if you want auto zoom. Do you have a camcorder that is compatible with the camera controller and also a solid tripod that can handle the swaying?

Their complete package on Amazon is $649 which is pricey. Maybe I get some drone shots of you and I get a session with the Solo Shot 2?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 05:26:38 AM »
  i have a V1.  I've had no problem w/ battery life, but I don't stay out longer that 2 hrs anyway, usually.  The biggest pain is linking the base unit to the arm band in such a way that you're in the middle of the frame or in the frame at all.  Out of the six times I used the thing, I only got it right 1 time.  (The other times, I actually and unintentionally caught a lot of my friends on good rides.  But who cares about them, ha ha?).  That one time, however, really helped me see how I surf in a way that I've never seen before.  It was a very strange and unsettling but ultimately instructive experience.

In all, I'll probably try using it again this spring.  And might spring for the V2 if I can find some folks to split the cost with.  Creek?

The thing about hiring a local kid to video you is, you've got to plan it and then hope the waves are right, and the kid shows up, and the kid isn't so stoned that he/she wanders off to study the seaweed, etc etc.  With the SS, you can do it spur of the moment ... assuming you can figure the little fuc*er out.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 05:58:25 AM »
linter... kind of a long range co-op... but who knows.

And yeah.... 5 years SUP surfing.... zero success at arranging a buddy system filming session.
No one wants to keep their eye on you for hours.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 05:59:50 AM »
How spur of the moment is it?
I watched a guy put one together
on the beach and it took a while..
Don't know how the video turned out either..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »
How spur of the moment is it?
I watched a guy put one together
on the beach and it took a while..
Don't know how the video turned out either..

Fortunately, I've got 30 days to return the SoloShot, if it is lame.   If it's good, maybe we can get some vid of you. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:05:29 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »
I think the $399 package is not complete. You'll also need the camera controller if you want auto zoom. Do you have a camcorder that is compatible with the camera controller and also a solid tripod that can handle the swaying?

Their complete package on Amazon is $649 which is pricey. Maybe I get some drone shots of you and I get a session with the Solo Shot 2?

Zooport:  I'll be happy to take you up on that offer as payback for the leash loan!
SamoSup, I have three cameras and none of them are compatible with the zoom controller.  So I will be "zoomless" for awhile.

Kernal, SamoSUP, I'm in.  Let me figure it out this week and then lets do a session at Trail 6.  We can switch the arm band out in the water.  I'll also bring a GoPro in a mouth mount for another perspective.

Kernal, you saved my session that day with the leash.  I am grateful.  I'll return it when we can get together for a SoloShot trial.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:46:05 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
We are stocking dealers for the SOLOSHOT2...and, sell them online and at our brick & mortar store...it's an amazing piece of equipment...

http://supsports.com/product-category/electronics/

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/11/soloshot2.html

The vid clip belowwas my initial user experience with the new SoloShot2 robotic video camera controller…took a couple of sessions to dial it in…but, if you follow the cheat sheet correctly it all should fall into place…I tried to do it by memory for a dawn patrol sesh at first and had a step in the focus calibration out of synch...plus, it also started out in low lighting conditions early in the morning with clouds…but, you can see how I eventually figured out how to clean up the focus as the session goes on…

I left the vid clip long so you can see the learning curve progress...take your time on setup and you will be stoked...

I am also using the new Sony AX100 4K vid cam…so, I was getting use to dialing in a couple of pieces of new technology and their hand shake protocols…plus, riding my Wardog® designs 7’10″ carbon Jammer in small, weak, waves better surfed with my Mallet or Hammer design...loved the dolphins cruising by me at 7:10...captured by my robotic camera dood!

I was also using a paddle mounted JVC ADIXXION for POV...I now have the Hero4 and a mouth mount...resulting in much better water footage...
I have two new mast mounts for windsurfing...so, I'm gonna rig up double JVC's plus the GoPro pacifier for triple POV footage...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »
Selfies have become quite the cottage industry, more like a high rise industry.
It takes a quiver to do that.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
SP: well, it's kinda spur of the moment.  you've got to let the GPS do it's thing and that can take up to 15 min, but I start the process on the road, so some of that time is cut off.  then, there's the time spent setting the unit up, fiddling with the zoom, etc etc.  yeah, it takes a while.  sigh.

wardog: is the pairing system on V2 the same as on V1?  any improvements in warm up time?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf