Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98785 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
That was fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
Nice vid Cove.  Love that song.  I think you're officially a geezer

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
Good run today. I was flying and still got my doors blown off. No matter, it was a blast. I fell chree times too. Maybe it was fi'.

I assume you rescued that gal JC, Mr. Headmount. I imagine she was freaked out. It wasn't really all that much offshore, but still a good day for a rudder.

Hey Bob, during the shuttle today I was talking about that day--Geez, must have been  six or seven years ago--that you and I were doing a light wind downwinder with Mark (Kiwi) Jackson and he was trying to warn me about a Tiger Shark near me at the Wailea Boat Ramp. I couldn't make out what he was saying with that Kiwi accent, and I fell in the water trying to turn to hear him. He yelled "GET AHN YOUR BOAAARD. THERE"S A MONSTAH." and you did the whole antler dance on your board because the Tiger went by you. Boyum called bullshit on the story. I guess he thinks I just talk about sharks to freak him out.

I assume you remember that. In fact I assume it was pretty much etched in your memory.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »
February 2009....The actual phrase was" BILL!...get ahn ya booaard, there's a monsta tiger shark coming towards you!" All I saw was a big shadow....I would have liked a closer look but that would have required me to go side on to the swell and all I could think was "don't fucking fall, don't fucking fall". The antler dance was me slapping the paddle to brace. I was also happy the bleeding had stopped from the coral cut earlier.

Jack said he called out to you just to let you know it was there and when you fell in that it headed right for you....that's when he started yelling.

LOL....I wonder how many times you've told Bill that story by now.....isn't alzheimer's great...you get to tell the same story for the 1st time again and again..... ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:04:52 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2015, 11:50:11 PM »
Cool video Cove!  A few of those bumps looked pretty big, so in person they must have been huge! 

Today's run was super fun.  The wind was good.  Probably 30+ at times.  Pretty off shore, but not terrible.  I had my best single mile average on mile 4, just off the cove, I averaged 9mph.  That is a big milestone for me, I have gotten close, but never broken out of the 8's till today.  Its amazing to think that the best guys can average 10mph for 27 miles straight in the Pailolo.  Insane!

Tomorrow is going to absolutely rock.  I hope you guys take a camera.  I am so bummed that I can't make it.  The wind is absolutely howling at my house now, which means it is really north.  Good times!  Have fun, and see you all soon.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2015, 12:45:12 AM »
LOL....I wonder how many times you've told Bill that story by now.....isn't alzheimer's great...you get to tell the same story for the 1st time again and again..... ;)

I don't know, he acted like it was new to him, but maybe he's got someheimer's too.  And it's Mark--hey, maybe you have a touch, eh?

Tomorrow should be absolute rock 'n roll on the south side. I don't think I've ever seen Maui 2K lit up so red. Of course there's a Maliko race tomorrow--and the wind is going to be straight onshore--out of the north and light. I guess I miss another race. Sure glad I paid for the whole season. So far I've done one race--and haven't even picked up my rash guard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »
Here's a mercifully short vid of yesterday's smokin' run. Although I got HM on the vid, this was on the slowest, must lulled out part of the run. 

Cove. Thanks again for taking the time to make and post this. Just great to see you guys paddling and the conditions being talked about. Awesome.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
Good run today. I was flying and still got my doors blown off. No matter, it was a blast. I fell chree times too. Maybe it was fi'.

I assume you rescued that gal JC, Mr. Headmount. I imagine she was freaked out. It wasn't really all that much offshore, but still a good day for a rudder.

Hey Bob, during the shuttle today I was talking about that day--Geez, must have been  six or seven years ago--that you and I were doing a light wind downwinder with Mark (Kiwi) Jackson and he was trying to warn me about a Tiger Shark near me at the Wailea Boat Ramp. I couldn't make out what he was saying with that Kiwi accent, and I fell in the water trying to turn to hear him. He yelled "GET AHN YOUR BOAAARD. THERE"S A MONSTAH." and you did the whole antler dance on your board because the Tiger went by you. Boyum called bullshit on the story. I guess he thinks I just talk about sharks to freak him out.

I assume you remember that. In fact I assume it was pretty much etched in your memory.
No, I know.  But you were freaking Peggy out who runs on a thin thread.  Yeah I picked up that girl.  She came in down by the church.  Totally freaked.  She was so busy talking all the time, she listened to nothing we told her.  Obviously a valley girl who has been used to everyone doing stuff for her.  Afterwards I asked her if she knew where she was going and she said no.  No clue about anything.  A walking disaster pouching in on Peggy's good will.  Oh well, I won't ever be stuck with that duty again. 

It was my price for getting to try the new board... which was a blast.  It performed unreal at the end when troughs got wide.  A little sticky on release but once it did, it kept rolling.  When that narrow nose plowed in, no biggie.  Felt like an OC and blasted out without loss of speed.  Tail was narrow as well and over all the board was tippy though I didn't fall.  Turning felt stiffer than my V1 and ultimately I'd rather have quicker turning than the fast nose.  Don't know if they're exclusive of each other.  Maybe.  But if you could have both, you'd have a bomber board.  The needle front end didn't slap and slam on the brakes when the nose hit on big drops.  Not having to worry about that allowed me to look farther ahead and plot out more connections.  It's close.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
I don't know, he acted like it was new to him, but maybe he's got someheimer's too.  And it's Mark--hey, maybe you have a touch, eh?

That's nice....you can both start meeting new friends every day.... ;). I don't think there is any question there.....I think I'm starting to forget my own name.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
I should have picked up on that, we all know what a sensitive and caring guy I am.

Good to hear that about the new board, I think Mark is headed in an interesting direction with that nose, runs counter to the pack of board designers, but he's always done that.

It the weather report and 2K are right it should be a great day. Any interest in going earlier so we might fit in a second run?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
Another solid day on the south.  Cove and I had a close call then another whale came up behind me about 20 feet, hissed or blew its nose.  I looked back and almost crapped my pants.  They're just so damn big.  Back on my V1 which felt great today.  Nobody got lost, all accounted for.  Solid crew, the way I like it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »
I paddled my ass off, caught every available bump, banked and sliced my way back and forth across the water, hooking most glides into long, multiple drop runs. The Motion-x pacing pitch (sorry if that seems impolite, but see what you think of her after an hour of her sarcastic delivery) told me I was well above six MPH everywhere except right in front of the Kea Lani where the wind died for a few minutes, and I had long stretches in the mid seven MPH range--and still those buggahs ran away from me like I had an anchor out. This crew is getting too damned fast.

Emergency Liposuction might be the only cure. Either that or we need to load these guys up with some handicap weight.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »
Hmm, pitch doesn't seem impolite, just weird. I meant bitch.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »
I paddled my ass off, caught every available bump, banked and sliced my way back and forth across the water, hooking most glides into long, multiple drop runs. The Motion-x pacing pitch (sorry if that seems impolite, but see what you think of her after an hour of her sarcastic delivery) told me I was well above six MPH everywhere except right in front of the Kea Lani where the wind died for a few minutes, and I had long stretches in the mid seven MPH range--and still those buggahs ran away from me like I had an anchor out. This crew is getting too damned fast.

Emergency Liposuction might be the only cure. Either that or we need to load these guys up with some handicap weight.

Considering the conditions, I felt like I had a fast run today. I got a lot of bumps and steered the board like crazy into drops. 

I'm typically averaging high 7 mph range for multiple miles in a row, most runs. On a fast day, like yesterday and the day before that, I'll hit the mid 8's for several miles. I thought THAT was good, until I found out that Southbay, our most esteemed paddling colleague, is now breaking into the mid 9-10 mph range. Geeminee Christmas. It's like an arms race! (oh, that's kind of a bad pun, sorry)

Got some cool footage on the me pro today. Lots of stuff with Headmount and I mixing it up. Pretty cool with the rear mount, forward facing position. Easy Pono. I mean the camera. I even got a quick shot of the freaking whales that startled me right off my board into the water. When I get the patience, I'll sit down and edit and put something together. May be tomorrow though.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2015, 11:17:39 PM »
Most esteemed?  Geez...if I didn't know what a bullshitter you were I would feel really proud right about know!  haha. 

You said considering the conditions?!?  What does that mean?  Was is not good?  I was stuck up Piiholo all day learning how to wipe a baby's ass and discussing nipples...first time that I convo was not of interest! 

BTW Greg, I think you need a Bullet and a XS

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]