Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98796 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »
We finally went again today. Last run was in the boat, with SB and LPB, before we'd even gotten to Christmas Eve. Today was on the light side as far as wind strength, but it was lined up perfectly and fairly decent all the way to Makena. We had a nice sized group with a lot of the usual suspects. PB was on his new V1 and HM was riding the old yellow V2. Two of us picked it up to load it on the truck at the end of the run and I couldn't believe how heavy it was. HM definitely earned a big dinner paddling that thing down the coast today!

SB went on his board but set up his friend in his one-man. His friend had never done a downwinder in a canoe and had only paddled an OC2 one time! And, he didn't do stand up downwind either! But, he did great. SB hung with his bud and helped him figure out the deal but I watched the guy (Tyler) for a few miles after we started and you would never have known that he hadn't paddled. He had a decent stroke, looked really comfy in the boat, was catching swell and even remounted with no problem from the non- ama side after a huli! That is actually pretty remarkable. SB later told me Tyler had a fair bit of water time surfing but still, downwind and in an OC with no other experience? Really amazing. The run is just under 10 miles, launching from the Kihei Canoe Club as we did today. That is definitely not too shabby for even a seasoned paddler!

For some reason, the smaller bumps were very catchable. The time I've been spending chasing waves in my OC1 has finally started to translate for me. Because the wind wasn't that strong, you could really feel when you were getting it right -- and when you weren't. It was a surprisingly fun run. At the top, where the waves were still small, I was a bit concerned that it was going to feel like a long slog today. But it didn't at all. It was a downwinder for sure and you got rewarded for being patient, steering quietly and watching the water carefully.

I don't know if we'll get another one anytime soon but I'm sure glad we went today. I have to say, we are so lucky to have such a stoked group of paddlers here! If there are rideable downwind conditions, you can bet that several paddlers will figure it out, send out the texts and it will be on.

.....and, here's a shot of that repair from 3 weeks back, the one that was going to pop right off my board. This is how it looks now, sanded painted and holding up jus' fine.....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:51:03 AM by covesurfer »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2014, 06:45:38 AM »
.....and, here's a shot of that repair from 3 weeks back, the one that was going to pop right off my board. This is how it looks now, sanded painted and holding up jus' fine.....

That's a beautiful sight. I always think a good repair gives you the same feeling as when it was dinged, but in the exact opposite way.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
Here's a shot of our run on the southside which goes as long as this pic.  From the inside of the bay onward

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2015, 09:51:41 AM »
Cool shot Headmount. You must've hiked the Pali trail?
Nice to have cool temps for that trek.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
Cool shot Headmount. You must've hiked the Pali trail?
Nice to have cool temps for that trek.

I'd like to shoot that same pic on a windy day but then I'd have to sacrifice not going.  Not going to happen.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
Power is out, power is back, then out again. Wind is blowing in weird directions and I'm freezing my ass off. Dump run, head cold, didn't get in the water. Grumpy bastard. So Diane dragged me to Mama's for pupus.

All better.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
A magnificent run today.  We had been set up for Polo Beach but did an audible and went all the way to the landing.  Current was going the right way and surface grain was extremely organized.  Big fatties at the end. 

PBill ripped today.  He cut in both directions with ease.  It was impressive and a gas seeing him on hard angles.  Knees were bent.  Tailed him for some sections and was glad he didn't screw up or my board woulda split him in two at the Khyber Pass.  Great day.  Cloudless in the afternoon.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
Damn, that's was a good'un.  I told Covesurfer so elsewhere, but I know he won't believe me. I felt like yelling "I am a downwinding GOD!" but just as I was getting ready to, i fell.

Fun seeing that unusual crew at the Makena pull out, who were of all things, going to go snorkeling. Chuck Patterson, Dave's son Austin, Izzy Gomez, Laurie (I don't remember her last name).  How come every time I see Izzy I see Austin??? Yeah, dude, she's a cutie. Then to bump into my friends from Hood River, John and Katherine Ritter at Makena. How strange, what a tiny little world this is when you bind it up with good water.

They all blew it as badly as Cove, SB, Devin, Lee, and everyone else did. But who knew? As I said in the car on the way back, we didn't deserve that run, but we got it. We f'n-Aye got it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:12:58 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
You Fahkahs. What, you lost my number!? Tomorrow ? Maybe? I'm done moving and I sort of forgive you for forgetting me totally since I was moving. Tomorrow I gotta go.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2015, 11:48:47 PM »
So pissed...can't go tomorrow either.  Trying to stay cool here.  Namaste...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »

They all blew it as badly as Cove, SB, Devin, Lee, and everyone else did. But who knew?

Who knew?  They all knew.  I have them all on a group text.  They were all notified of the good forecast the day before.  And - as usual - they all responded (except you and RR).  Ralf doesn't get texts anymore, so I call him when the south may work.  He - like all the others - had to work.  He can go today if conditions warrant.

My trees are making the right sound now.  The wind will shift more NE quickly as the day progresses.  Should be good all day, but I'd recommend going early, as in 11 or so.  One more week of vacation for me, then back to the salt mines. 

SB, if you are in your office, you may want to close the blinds today.  It may be as good as yesterday.  I feel your pain.       
Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
I'm in today!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
What is Ralf working at? I thought after selling Second wind he'd be a bum like me.

I'm still daydreaming about that last section, it was so very, very good. I chose to shoot the narrow inside channel at the end, which is always like the cherry on top of a sundae. Yesterday it had a steep-faced wave running through the shallows, which was an e-ticket ride all the way to the still water on the inside of the cove.  I don't know why most folks go around that, it's big fun.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »

What is Ralf working at? I thought after selling Second wind he'd be a bum like me.

He just got married.  And I think he has/had company.  And he bought new property and is building/renovating a house on it.

/ I chose to shoot the narrow inside channel at the end, which is always like the cherry on top of a sundae. Yesterday it had a steep-faced wave running through the shallows, which was an e-ticket ride all the way to the still water on the inside of the cove.  I don't know why most folks go around that, it's big fun.

Here's what PB is talking about.  Rocks may appear (depending on tide) just inside the red line.  That's my line yesterday.  I usually cut that reef close, because I'm familiar with it.  If the tide is high, I can run right over it (except for one rock).  To be safe, I always keep a sharp eye out for that rock.  It will usually boil.  You have to keep the board/boat high on the wave.  If you zoom down the face it can pile drive you on the reef.

PB, most go around it because they can't afford the time or expense of a massive repair.   

Post us a picture of your line across that reef yesterday.  (If you can figure out how on your Apple.  I'll walk you through the steps on your PC if you like.  Ha Ha)! 

Incidentally, the tide was low yesterday.  I didn't see the rock or the reef, which is surprising.  That underscores how dangerous it is to shoot across that reef.  I'm glad I went around.  You probably did too.  Your line will show what really happened.     

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
Gee, thanks, that would be swell. I didn't have my GPS on, but this is basically the line I took. The shaky wiggles have to do with the number of cups of coffee I had this morning.

I could see the first outer rock mound clearly--benefit of standing. It was going dry with every wave. I use that as a marker for the upper edge of the channels and aim to just miss it, then I aim for the rock ledge on the edge of that manmade cove. Skimming that first tower is the only nerve-wracking part of the line, and I think it's really harmless, like aiming for the rock boil headed out for a Maliko run. Scary, but nuttin'. I've been all over this little channel in Scuba and snorkel gear--lots of life around the tower, and it's handy to Makena, so it's a nice place to take visitors. I've had Bob and Sue out there a couple of times.  It's actually pretty deep in the channel and never uncovers even with an extreme tide, though it can get skinny with a big, sucking wave.

It's just too much fun to pass up, and I've never had a problem--yet.

In most of the MCKC races to Makena I've done, about half the OC folks take the inside line and half go around. I've seen you do it on some southside runs in your ski, though from well behind. Kathy seems to give it a wide berth. So does Boyum and Cove. I don't think they realize how much fun it is.

Speaking of which, the first race of the season is January 11. Who's doing it? I'm in.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:21:33 PM by PonoBill »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf