Author Topic: Reviewing my Starboard Sprint 17'6" x 23"  (Read 15280 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: Reviewing my Starboard Sprint 17'6" x 23"
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:31 AM »
I agree AREA10 - boards are made in the same place, but I don't agree that all are made the same way. There are many similarities, to a certain extant, but there's nothing similar about how the UL in question is built.

Since I don't think too many people have paddled the Sprint 17'6x23" a total of 1700 km, I thought I would give people on the forum an idea of its durability, under extreme conditions. Remember: this board wasn't intended for DW or much ocean use… but it's still proving very durable.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
Well I've paddled my SIC X14 that far in flat water and sea and it still looks pretty much as good as the day I bought it. So what? It should do. I've got a 2014 Starboard Ace carbon 14x25 that has done a lot of miles too (probably more) and it is completely covered in minor dings, cracks and imperfections and looks like it's been stored in war-torn Syria with US drones overhead getting busy. The difference between the two boards is that I've owned the SIC since it was new. A friend of mine bought a new 2013 All Star and after 3 months of normal use it has taken on 3 litres of water through cracks between the scupper holes and the board and was virtually a write-off. So, just because you have got one board that has DONE WHAT IT IS DESIGNED TO DO when you have looked after it, please don't start extrapolating from that that Starboards are built better than other brands from the Cobra factory, because it just isn't true. You have got one board that they buiłd adequately and you've looked after it. That is all. There is an English proverb that says "One swallow doesn't make a summer". What do you think that means?

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »
Anyone can make a strong board, and should… but not everyone can make a strong board that's SUPER LIGHT for a length of 17+ feet. The board in REF is holding, so I am mentioning it. Do note that I didn't say "Starboard are built better", and if that's how you took it, then you missed understood me.

What I was saying, and what I am saying is that this particular model is built differently (with different technology than any other board I know of) - and it just so happens that it is doing very well for the amount of paddling.

And don't worry: Everyone already knows that you paddle the most, that you are older & wiser, and much taller than me… but before you say another word, I would merely suggest that you take a look at the construction of the Sprint 17'6"x23".
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »
I doubt if I am taller than you, or paddle more than you. I have no idea if I am wiser. I am pretty sure I'm heavier, older and uglier. But none of these things relate in any way to the construction of Starboards. They occasionally make lemons like all the rest. The overall direction of this thread (not just your contributions) seemed to be suggesting that SB in general are better than others. I am expressing the view that they are not.

I have no connection to any brand, unlike many who post on this forum.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »
First off I don’t understand the attitude Area 10. This is a forum sharing opinions and experiences and that is what I wrote.  I have no connection with Starboard and don’t want one even if it was offered. And for you to say that every board that comes from the Cobra factory uses the same construction, material, and quality control is not true. And where was it written that Starboards are built better than other brands from the Cobra factory or any other factory. I only gave my small experience of owning 5 boards and relating to Photofr post on the durability and quality of Starboard.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »
While our SB Touring Carbon has stood up well - a used SB Sprint Carbon we planned to buy had a 2" crack on its underside.  Even though both boards are 14' - the weight of the 5" wider Touring at 27.5 lbs was probably around 3+ lbs heavier.  The brushed paint finish has not chipped - but does discolor.

While the Touring is very tough and ding resistant - the Sprint felt very light and fragile.  Most likely the Touring was laid up heavy - and the Sprint laid up light.  That seems to explain most of the variance coming from the same brand and factory.  We have paddled a large number of SB models - having a local distributor nearby.

Our SIC Bullet Carbon on the other hand weighs the same as our Surftech Dominator 1/2 Carbon at 26.5 lbs.  Comparatively the Bullet is much more ding and dent resistant.   Both gloss paint finishes do chip.

Our Jimmy Lewis M-14 has decent durability for a non-carbon board - but weighs the most at 28 lbs.  The gloss paint finish is quite good - but also does chip and pressure dent.

Even though our boards have these minor problems they all are excellent for their intended uses.  Probably vintage - care - and handling on-and-off the water play a part in the durability equation as well.  Can also say that every single pound difference can be felt when lifting each board - and that a 14' EPS board lighter than 25 lbs may be laid up light.

Many brands are manufactured at Cobra - but they may not use the exact same materials and procedures.  They may have differing levels of QC as well.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
There is an English proverb that says "One swallow doesn't make a summer". What do you think that means?
Oops, I'd heard that, but had always assumed that was a typo on "summer".

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »
Good one Toby!

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
Truth be told, there's hardly any info on the SB Sprint 17'6"x23".
Its carbon construction is actually very different, and so is its glide.
I merely wanted to share some experience and give you guys some feedback.

When I bought the board:
a) I thought I was ONLY going to use it on dead-flat water for training purposes. (I was so wrong).
b) Like lots of other high-end and super light toys, they sometimes aren't meant to last. I thought 300 km on the water and the board would be "dead". (yeah… I was dead-wrong, yet again).

But, since we are sharing:
I almost guarantee that if you were going to fall hard on that board, you'd probably leave a mark on its deck. It's surprisingly strong, but not bullet-proof… and I don't think any race board should be bullet proof: I want it light !

LIGHT I TELL YOU :)
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
It seems the current carbon manufacturing processes make a reasonably lightweight EPS board that is quite rigid and durable.  While they do not seem to pressure dent at all - the skin can crack under heavy impact.  Have seen a carbon SIC board that was dropped - ending up with a crack vs a dent.  Premium lightly laid-up glass boards on the other hand - seem to dent when dropped.

For the average Joe - not at elite or sponsored level - a balance between cost weight and durability is usually important.  So while super light is nice - durability does come into play.  For us - carbon boards with easy lift handles are the best option since the weight is light enough that my wife can put the boards on our vehicles by herself.  Having a light easy to hoist overhead 14' board is super convenient and a snap.

It always amazes people watching when we paddle in to the beach and load our boards with such ease.  They inevitably ask what the board is made of - and what it weighs.

On the water paddling - we always prefer a light board for quick acceleration.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 06:14:33 AM »
It seems the current carbon manufacturing processes make a reasonably lightweight EPS board that is quite rigid and durable.  While they do not seem to pressure dent at all - the skin can crack under heavy impact.  Have seen a carbon SIC board that was dropped - ending up with a crack vs a dent.  Premium lightly laid-up glass boards on the other hand - seem to dent when dropped.

For the average Joe - not at elite or sponsored level - a balance between cost weight and durability is usually important.  So while super light is nice - durability does come into play.  For us - carbon boards with easy lift handles are the best option since the weight is light enough that my wife can put the boards on our vehicles by herself.  Having a light easy to hoist overhead 14' board is super convenient and a snap.

It always amazes people watching when we paddle in to the beach and load our boards with such ease.  They inevitably ask what the board is made of - and what it weighs.

On the water paddling - we always prefer a light board for quick acceleration.

Easy answer is a Jimmy Lewis FTW!   (But you already knew that Eagle ;) )
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
I have the 17'6" Sprint too and although mine has not seen as much on-the-water action, it has held up extremely well. I think Starboard carbon race boards have improved substantially over the last couple of years. The switch from the grey finish to the blue finish coincided with the dramatic improvement. Of course it is possible to get a lemon regardless of the brand. My understanding is the labour force at Cobra is very fluid and the brand managers work very hard on retaining or securing the best workers on their own production line. As a result, all things are not equal at Cobra. Some brands come out with better QC than others. However, that can change from one day to the next.

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger