Author Topic: Spackle vs micro balloons  (Read 7060 times)

skipinjb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spackle vs micro balloons
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
Insight on which is better or is there really a difference worth noting. So spackled or micro balloons.

gregloehr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spackle vs micro balloons
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
I've done plenty of both.  If your doing color, airbrush, under the laminate then spackle is better.  Spackle also doesn't need to to dry before being flipped so it's quicker.  Spackle also ensures a better bond to the foam because resin can blush which may cause a delamination between the seal and the laminate, spackle doesn't blush.  Some might say that spackle is water based and therefore will dissolve if you get a ding but if you use a good exterior grade this isn't true.  Micro balloons and epoxy are fine but IMHO spackling works better.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
I use the Spackle to fill my mistakes, and/ or any little areas where the EPS is pitted. Mostly an issue with 1# foam. Then I roll on a thin coat of epoxy w/ micro-balloons and sand lightly. I MHO, #1 is for race boards. If you're trying to shave all the weight off, those pits in the 1# EPS are places for resin to add weight. Spackle is a lighter material to fill those voids. The 1.5# EPS sands tight enough to where you don't really need Spackle. A friend of mine who's been doing a bunch of custom artwork on boards, is just painting the foam with no Spackle, then using the micro-balloon sealer. Lots of different ways to do it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
I've done plenty of both.  If your doing color, airbrush, under the laminate then spackle is better.  Spackle also doesn't need to to dry before being flipped so it's quicker.  Spackle also ensures a better bond to the foam because resin can blush which may cause a delamination between the seal and the laminate, spackle doesn't blush.  Some might say that spackle is water based and therefore will dissolve if you get a ding but if you use a good exterior grade this isn't true.  Micro balloons and epoxy are fine but IMHO spackling works better.

wow great to see you have joined here greg your input is always much appreciated and many thanks for such a great product.

As greg says good spackle is waterproof if you get acrylic based, just take a bit and leave it to dry solid for a day or so and then soak it in water it should stay solid. I tried resin/mb again recently and found that you have to be very careful to make sure it is fully sanded really nice and smooth before you lam other wise the little bumps of foam dust of mb will not let the glass sit flat on the foam and can leave trapped air or or excess resin which you do not get with spackle. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
I didn't even catch that. Stoked to have any contributions from an industry veteran like you Greg.
Disclaimer: "amateur Kook home board builders found here" me being numero uno. With the exception more than a few experts in the mix.
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
If you were looking for a survey type answer, I saw Steve Boehne of Infinity walking out of Lowes carrying 4 big buckets of light weight Spackle. I'm guessing he's using Spackle....
It's not overhead to me!

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
Great to have advice from an Icon in the industry --Thank you Greg !!!

-- I use both spackel and epoxy / spackel first / sand to a nice finish and then put on a coat of epoxy using a squeegie to make sure it is a thin coat --
Use pieces of the black plant pots that are thrown away everywhere -- the smooth ones (no ridges) -- cut into squares big enough to get a grip on are great scarpers with a nice built in curve-- I use them to scrape excess resin off the shape as it gels to leave only a very thin epoxy coat to seal the blank --
(and for curved repairs - taped to a rail over epoxy is a great was for a smooth repair / does not stick to epoxy )
 I vacuum bag my boards --- the theory being if the blank is sealed tight when i bag it -- the resin will not be pushed into the blank but out through the perferated peel ply and into the blanket to be tossed ( I like tossing weight)..
If you let the board sit around a good sanding is a must so the new will stick to the old.
My last 12.6 weighed 24 lbs. with 2 x 6 s on the bottom and a 8.5 & 6 s on the top with a Basalt tape strip bow to stern on the deck to stiffen the board. (rocker 2.5 in stern & 1.5 bow x 26.5 wide)
looks funky but rides good for this old guy

The Zone keeps me smiling & is the Best !!!

aloha

willi .]

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
1) What kind of spackle should I use to seal an EPS blank that will have a clear glass job (I will paint the sealed blank after sealing it)? Perhaps one of these?
--Sherwin Williams SHRINK-FREE Spackling: http://tinyurl.com/ppbze3q
--Red Devil ONE Time Lightweight Spackling: http://tinyurl.com/ldne8xb

2) Does 1 LB EPS require a different kind of spackle verses 1.5 LB EPS?

3) Is there an off-the-shelf tool you recommend thats good for applying spackle to the blank?

4) What grit sand paper do you recommend for sanding the spackle?

Thanks!  :)

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »
1-Lightweight is the key. I like the Sherwin Williams stuff but you have to get the right kind. I mail ordered a big tub that was standard Spackle--bummer.
2- no
3- your glass squeegee is fine. I tried a softer sqeeg and didn't like the result
3-80 screen, then 120. I've been bagging 6 oz S glass as first layer or 6 oz carbon and both lie down nicely on 120 sanded spackle. Make sure you get all the dust off though. I missed a little spot and it was fugly. Now I blow it off with air, then use a damp cloth, then let it dry and rub with a tack cloth.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:24:16 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »
Thanks PonoBill.  :)

a) By "glass squeegee" do you mean the regular ol squeegee humans use to wash windows? The kind of squeegee with the really flexible rubber edge and metal handle?

b) Do you thin the spackle with water or use it straight out of the container?

1-Lightweight is the key. I like the Sherwin Williams stuff but you have to get the right kind. I mail ordered a big tub that was standard Spackle--bummer.
2- no
3- your glass squeegee is fine. I tried a softer sqeeg and didn't like the result
3-80 screen, then 120. I've been bagging 6 oz S glass as first layer or 6 oz carbon and both lie down nicely on 120 sanded spackle. Make sure you get all the dust off though. I missed a little spot and it was fugly. Now I blow it off with air, then use a damp cloth, then let it dry and rub with a tack cloth.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »
No, sorry, I mean your fiberglass squeegee or spreader, or whatever it's called.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
Hah hah, got it! I'm functioning on sleep deprivation here and I thought later after asking you that what a dumb question it was. Duh.  :P

Thanks

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?